Safari beta 2 is out

Posted by: JohnR

Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 05:46 AM

Just read about it at the front page of MacMinute. Apparently beta 2 is now out. Go get it <br><br>I gotta wait till I get home...<br><br>
Posted by: MacGuru

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 06:45 AM

I'm on it now it has tabs and autofill not much else that I can see that is new though.<br><br>"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman<br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 07:30 AM

What else do you need? <br><br>[color:red]Hold on, it's time for a </font color=red> <br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 07:31 AM

I've had it for a week... v.71 <br>Works very well.<br><br><br>Visit Me At My .Mac Site
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 07:33 AM

This new build is a touch snappier than v71.<br><br>
Posted by: Lori

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 07:34 AM

it is v 73 now Giz<br><br><br>[color:red]Listen...</font color=red>

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 07:46 AM

I'm only up to v.72... hehe, but then, I haven't checked my email since Friday.<br><br><br>Visit Me At My .Mac Site
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 07:59 AM

The only thing that sucks is that you can't bookmark a set of tabs like in Chimer- er- Camino!<br><br>EDIT: Make that Mozilla!<br><br>[color:red]Hold on, it's time for a </font color=red> <br>

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 08:05 AM

Yeah, I've tried everything I can think of to find a way around it, but there's just no way to bookmark a "group" and have it be the start page(s).<br><br>So I'm using the beta2 version now, but it doesn't seem any snappier to me... but it's nice to see the general public get an upgraded version.<br><br><br>Visit Me At My .Mac Site
Posted by: greenme1

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 08:39 AM

Can't you just make a folder in the bookmarks bar and select open in tabs at the bottom of the folder to do that? <br><br>

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 08:47 AM

Yeah, but that's not what I want it to do... I want it to open all the bookmarks in tabs upon startup without me having to click once to open the menu, and click again to select open in tabs.<br><br><br>Visit Me At My .Mac Site
Posted by: Trog

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 08:51 AM

I've used it for a whole five minutes. Nope can't see much different except the tabs. Was there a list of changes somewhere?<br><br>

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 09:09 AM

New in Safari Beta 2<br> <br> <br>Tabbed browsing<br><br> <br>AutoFill forms & passwords<br><br> <br>Privacy reset<br><br> <br>Available in English, Japanese, French and German<br><br> <br>Import Netscape and Mozilla bookmarks<br><br> <br>Increased standards compatibility<br><br> <br>Improved AppleScript support<br><br> <br><br> <br> <br><br><br>[color:red]Listen...</font color=red>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 09:51 AM

Thank ya! <br><br>
Posted by: RubenC

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 12:32 PM

OH, OH! I can't wait to get home and upgrade, I've been so out of the loop lately, I need some time to catch up.<br><br>

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 01:51 PM

Don't want to have to click twice? <br><br>

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 01:52 PM

You know how them old folks are...that's too complicated for them <br><br>

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 03:00 PM

LOL <br><br>
Posted by: sross

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 04:00 PM

I think I have an issue. When I try to open a new window, it doesn't do it. Does anyone else get the same results?<br>I am not using tabbed browsing.<br><br><br>

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 04:02 PM

You mean Command + n doesn't get you a new window?<br><br>

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 04:18 PM

how are you trying to open a new window?<br><br><br><br>[color:red]Listen...</font color=red>

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 06:47 PM

I try to open a new window by going under file and hitting the dropdown and also doing a command-N.<br>Either way, it doesn't open a new window.<br><br><br>

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 06:49 PM

Try quitting it and restarting Safari.<br><br>If that doesn't work, you could always trash it (and the prefs!) and redownload it since it is small.<br><br>

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 06:50 PM

Wouldn't I lose all my bookmarks?<br><br><br><br>

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 06:50 PM

yup, there's something wrong with your Safari.<br>Why don't you trash that Safari and download a new copy.<br><br><br>[color:red]Listen...</font color=red>

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 06:52 PM

You probably will lose them. What I do is copy/paste the links in mine and put them either in Text Edit or you could put them on Camino or IE..then reload them back on Safari. <br><br>Sorry dude, but I think it's gotta be done. Unless someone else comes up with a solution.<br><br>

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 06:53 PM

no, they are not stored with the application. they are in your ~/Library/Safari/ <br><br><br>[color:red]Listen...</font color=red>

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 06:55 PM

OHHH LORI !<br>Such an elegant answer.<br>Sorry John, I'm casting my lot with the Macbabe <br><br><br>

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 06:55 PM

Ahh..see! Lori knows best <br><br>

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 06:56 PM

Hey..I don't blame ya! <br><br>

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 06:58 PM

I did it and it is just fine now. Thanks, to both of you.<br><br><br>

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 07:02 PM

Welcome Sherman..glad Lori could help <br><br>

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 07:03 PM

wow...you are fast sherman!!<br><br><br>[color:red]Listen...</font color=red>

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 07:48 PM

While it is working, I suggest you make a backup copy of the ~/Library/Safari/ folder for future use - until such time that Apple makes an easy way to "export" your bookmarks.<br><br><br>Visit Me At My .Mac Site

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 07:50 PM

Good idea. Thanks<br><br><br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 07:52 PM

Anyone know if it supports JavaScript better?<br><br>

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 07:56 PM

that I don't know.<br>any site you had a particular problem with?<br><br><br>[color:red]Listen...</font color=red>

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 07:57 PM

Seems to work on sites I've visited that use Javascript... but then again, it never did have a problem with any sites I've visited.<br><br><br>Visit Me At My .Mac Site

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 07:58 PM

Nope. Still doesn't get far enough in POGO.<br>You get to set up pref in a game but the game doesn't start.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 08:09 PM

I've been trying to write a script to open one window while renaming the opener window so that it can be referenced by the second window. The script is to merely name the window and not act as the opener itself (too much to explain why). I've gotten it to work in every browser worth testing in OS X (meaning, everything but Omniweb) and it works in everything but Safari. Now that I've downloaded it, it still doesn't work. See what I'm talking about here (and see that it works in other browsers): http://link=http://www.squarepair.com/test/<br>
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 08:11 PM

Hey guys! Howzit going in here?<br>You could do what I do, set Backup to backup your .xml files for Safari. I also use it to backup folders in Photoshop, such as actions and whatnot.<br><br>

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 08:13 PM

Guess you spend too much time here and not exploring around on other sites, giz. :-p <br><br>I find sites from time to time where something doesn't seem to behave right in Safari (e.g., Netflix) and when I check it in Camino, Explorer and Mozilla, all is good.<br><br>

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 08:20 PM

I use an applescript called "Backup User Prefs" to backup all my pref files, and mail, and bookmarks.<br><br>quoted from site:<br>We have written a Mac OS X AppleScript freeware application, called Back up user prefs, that backs up a user's ~/Library/Preferences folder for safety in the event of corruption of either individual preferences or the entire folder. It also backs up the preferences folders for Chimera (Navigator) (v 2.3.7 added support for Camino, the newly-renamed version of Chimera) and OmniWeb that lurk in the ~/Library/Application Support folder and Mozilla and Safari in the ~/Library folder. (Netscape, iCab, Opera, and Microsoft Internet Explorer preferences are automatically backed up when the ~/Library/Preferences folder is saved.) Back up user prefs allows the user to elect to save previously backed-up preferences in the event that something goes wrong. In addition to the capabilities of earlier versions, which include the ability not only to restore preferences that have previously been saved using the application and allow the user to choose the location of saved preference files, v 2.3.7 introduced a new feature that permits the user to choose to restore 1) the Preferences folder only, 2) the browser files only, or 3) both the Preferences folder and the browser files. The application includes the option of backing up the user's Mail folder and a very robust error-recovery capability that, in the event of a copying error caused by the presence of a file or files whose owner name is "system" or "root", which will result in an aborted backup, flags the culprit file(s) and lists it/them, offering suggestions as to how the user can reset the owner name to allow the application to work successfully,<br><br><br>[color:red]Listen...</font color=red>
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 08:54 PM

Cool Lori. Your the best!<br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 09:08 PM

So Lori, when is your how to book coming out? You have more good tips than any of the books.<br><br>"Life's blows cannot break a person whose spirit is warmed at the fire of enthusiasm."<br>--Norman Vincent Peale

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 09:12 PM

I get all my tips from the web or from my 'Missing Manual" book.<br>As a matter of fact, my copy is a little out dated.<br><br><br>[color:red]Listen...</font color=red>

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/14/03 09:50 PM

I guess I can count myself lucky... I haven't run into many problems with Safari. But then, my surfing habits revolve around mac sites, design sites and forums... and they all work perfectly in Safari thus far.<br><br><br>Visit Me At My .Mac Site
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/15/03 12:29 AM

Thanks for the reminder about backing up. I hadn't backed up my bookmarks lately but did after reading your post. Good thing too. When I opened Safari for this session, my bookmarks were missing. I don't know why they were gone but I'm sure glad I had that backup.<br><br>drjohn<br><br>[i]My photographs[i]

Re: Safari beta 2 is out - 04/15/03 05:03 AM

Hey David, welcome back. It has been a long time.<br>Lori.......you did it again. You enhanced my life with the link. <br>Thanks! <br><br><br>