8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing

Posted by: iBookmaster

8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/15/09 05:26 PM

Wow, you can get suspended for anything now.
Jesus stick figure on cross.
Posted by: carp

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/15/09 05:31 PM

Well it was a bad drawing to begin with on the artistic side laugh

I agree this is going way out of hand lately to the point of shear stupidity .

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/15/09 05:53 PM

My opinion of the cross in general is a horrible icon. You see necklaces that are crosses. That's probably the most popular way we see the cross. I think it's a horrible reminder of what we "people in general" did to this person. The 8 year old boy drew what he thought was the main reminder of Jesus. His birthday isn't a more powerful reminder than his crucifixion.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/15/09 06:50 PM

I hate to say it, but I would sue the shat out of the teacher, the principal, the school district and the state. Normally, I don't like this type of lawsuit, but I like these know-it-all, snot-nosed, PC people even less.

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/15/09 06:59 PM

Yep Giz, this teacher asked for something, the kid drew something that was right in line with Xmas actually.
Posted by: starmillway

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/15/09 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: iBookmaster
Wow, you can get suspended for anything now.
Jesus stick figure on cross.

From the Boston Herald: in part

Taunton Mayor Charles Crowley called School Superintendent Julie Hackett from his vacation today and asked her to apologize both privately and publicly to the family of an 8-year-old special needs student sent home from school and ordered to undergo psychological testing after drawing a stick-figure picture of Jesus Christ nailed to the cross.

----> read the rest at the link smile

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/15/09 07:07 PM

I read it Kate.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/15/09 07:08 PM

OMG, that happened in my hometown! Good for Mayor Crowley!

"Taunton Mayor Charles Crowley is requesting that the teacher meet with the family to apologize and that the school repay the costs of the psychological exam (the family has to pay for the kidís psych evaluation)."

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/15/09 07:58 PM

I feel sure that the family will get that apology and reimbursement of the exam too. It might get real ugly if they don't.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/16/09 06:43 AM

I would hope that the "teacher" gets an unpaid suspension.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/16/09 07:44 AM

Stop press: the school is denying everything--no suspension, no trauma . . . and the drawing on display not the one the kid drew in class.

Stay tuned for more.

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/16/09 07:53 AM

Do I smell a hoax? Do you mean the media didn't fact check? *Gasp!*

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/16/09 07:54 AM

Now that would be a surprise, Michael! laugh
Posted by: drjohn

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/16/09 08:27 AM

Hackett pointed out that Taunton is known as "The Christmas City."

I thought this was what Taunton is known for.
confused

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/16/09 08:32 AM

I thought it was known ad Donna's home town!
Posted by: drjohn

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/16/09 08:39 AM

Who's Donna? Is she a woodworker?
whistle wink grin

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/16/09 08:42 AM

She makes great Christmas tree ornaments, anyway smile

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/16/09 11:04 AM

Hmmm, yes my link to the original article looks like it's under the humor tab in that website. But, I saw it somewhere else too like ABC News or Huffington post.

Also, the story is here at Taunton Gazette.

If true, it shows the impact religion can have in public and in the classroom. And it's not always good.

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/16/09 11:10 AM

Here's another school horror story--this one apparently accurate.

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/16/09 11:15 AM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
Stop press: the school is denying everything--no suspension, no trauma . . . and the drawing on display not the one the kid drew in class.

Stay tuned for more.

Yeah thats what I heard this morning , teacher says she never seen that drawing ? ?

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/16/09 11:18 AM

My opinion of the cross in general is a horrible icon. You see necklaces that are crosses. That's probably the most popular way we see the cross. I think it's a horrible reminder of what we "people in general" did to this person. The 8 year old boy drew what he thought was the main reminder of Jesus. His birthday isn't a more powerful reminder than his crucifixion.

Well ?
Your suppose to view it as Jesus died for our sins - I agree the ones with the figure of Jesus is sorta morbid but should help young virgins warn away vampires laugh
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/16/09 12:01 PM

Agreed. I remember hearing that is why the Mormons, Christians who believe that Jesus died for our sins, do not use the cross as one of their symbols. It isn't on their church spires or on their literature.
Why make a symbol/icon of death so important?

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/16/09 12:04 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4

Agreed. I remember hearing that is why the Mormons, Christians who believe that Jesus died for our sins, do not use the cross as one of their symbols. It isn't on their church spires or on their literature.

Because he paid the ultimate price
Posted by: EzyriderTX

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/16/09 12:13 PM

Quote:

Well it's the whole "died for our sins" thing I guess. But I've always wondered that too. The cross or any symbol like that would have been considered pagan idolatry by 1st century Christians anyway. But I won't get into that.

I won 1st place in a 6th grade art contest for drawing a Civil War battle. Tons of violence and blood. I'll bet I would get suspended and psychoanalyzed for that in today's politically correct society.

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/16/09 12:37 PM

But, that is where the problem arises to me with the cross symbol. Most crosses are bare without Jesus hanging on it. Why? Because religion doesn't want to be associated with the ugliness of it. Then my problem with religion digs even deeper. The whole story. I'm God, I've created people, I'm going to send my son to die for everybody's sins because I know they won't believe in who my son is. What a screwball plan if you ask me.

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/16/09 12:57 PM

Giving at the time the vast majority had no education what so ever --- Soooo a visual icon is needed
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/16/09 01:47 PM

But, that is where the problem arises to me with the cross symbol. Most crosses are bare without Jesus hanging on it. Why? Because religion doesn't want to be associated with the ugliness of it. Then my problem with religion digs even deeper. The whole story. I'm God, I've created people, I'm going to send my son to die for everybody's sins because I know they won't believe in who my son is. What a screwball plan if you ask me.

Ha!

We agree on something!

I believe that it is supposed to be about faith. God doesn't want you to have tangible proof.. he wants you to just believe he's real and there is a purpose.
Don't get me wrong... I believe in God. I just don't subscribe to any religion.

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/16/09 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4

Ha!

We agree on something!

I believe that it is supposed to be about faith. God doesn't want you to have tangible proof.. he wants you to just believe he's real and there is a purpose.
Don't get me wrong... I believe in God. I just don't subscribe to any religion.

Right David

To get even deeper - The Bible was the first Law Book ever written at a time when there was no really set in stone laws

Sorta like the Santa Clause rule - You give a gift you are in a sense a Santa Clause

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/16/09 02:00 PM

Actually, the Hebrews, after their liberation from Egypt and Pharoh's "laws," needed to have their own.

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/16/09 06:16 PM

There's evidence in the Book of Kings that the "law" was recovered sometime around the time of David, in the early 1st millennium BCE. The books of the law aren't all that much older than that--say around 1500 BCE, although the texts we now have date, again, from ca. 1000 BCE. By contrast, Hammurabi, of the famous code, lived around 1800 BCE, and the earliest Egyptian dynasties go back to around 3200 BCE--Narmer being the first of the pharaohs whose name survives. There were laws a-plenty in the ancient Mediterranean world.

Re: 8 yr old boy suspended for Christmas drawing - 12/16/09 08:20 PM

Right Nuc, this is why I am agnostic. I believe there is a creator but we know nothing about the creator. I subscribe to zero religions also.