What a despicable little girl...

Posted by: trey

What a despicable little girl... - 12/05/09 01:22 PM

Not for the faint of heart.

Girl cooks cat alive.

Quote:
Cherry would later tell detectives that the cat cooking was "just a joke." But neither animal rights activists nor a judge saw it that way. Some 20,000 people signed an online petition urging harsh punishment for the little girl. Now a judge in the Bronx has sentenced her to two years for burglary and animal cruelty.
Posted by: carp

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/05/09 01:51 PM

Nothing pisses me off more when they say a ""Little Child"" <--wtf

H3ll my grand daughter is already taller then me and she is only 13 - she is not a little child .

Anyway this 17 year is NO LITTLE CHILD , she has a history of committing crimes and training a 14 year old accomplish at the same time. Now she is killing animals which also shows potential serial killer traits with no remorse at all .

Throw the big book at her
Posted by: Phosphor

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/05/09 02:33 PM

We all get bombarded with so much nasty crap every day I'm glad I don't have to click through to the story to get the gist of it.

I choose "NO."
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/05/09 03:09 PM

Me too . . . rather not read it.

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/05/09 03:13 PM

NO ?

As in trying her as a juvenile or an adult ? ?
Posted by: Lea

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/05/09 03:52 PM

She's a sociopath. Try her as an adult and give her the max.

Posted by: Phosphor

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/05/09 04:19 PM

@carp:

I choose "NO", as in: NO, I'm not going to choose to click through and read yet another bit of demoralizing news when I see enough of that crap in the media that I DO choose to look at.

I say ship sociopathic fx like that to some island in the South Pacific and let them play Lord of the Flies for keeps, and for real, for the rest of their pathetic lives.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/05/09 05:32 PM

Someone needs to take out a contract on that sociopathic bitch.
Posted by: MrB

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/05/09 10:59 PM

as bad as it is it is still not a human. Lots of animals have been treated in similar fashion an the kids have grown into responsible aduts.

as for trying her as an adult I see no problem with that as she is close anyway.

dave

Posted by: steveg

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/06/09 03:29 AM

If killing a cat can be done so casually, killing a human the next time is not much of a leap at all. Grow into responsible adults? A 4 yr old, who may not fully understand what he/she is doing and who is then treated to a significant brain adjustment immediately after, may stand a chance of developing a normal and productive mindset. But a 17 yr old? Nope. This is already damaged goods. She deserves a one -way ticket to the industrial shredder.
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/06/09 07:02 AM

Nope. If the cat didn't deserve it, she doesn't either.

There are ways to rehabilitate people, they're just intensive and expensive if it hasn't happened in reasonably early childhood.

I think it's worth trying to repair people before you decide to recycle them.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/06/09 07:31 AM

What a despicable little boy.....

Boy kills little brother.... it made him feel like HBOs Dexter....

From a link on same page as the "little" girl....

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/06/09 08:07 AM

Quote:
But a 17 yr old?

Somehow I read this as being like a 12 year old or something. So make that "What a despicable woman."

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/06/09 08:20 AM

Fair enough. Send your pets to live with a friend for a few months, and we'll send Cherry to your house next week. Do you offer a warranty with your repair work? grin

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/06/09 11:18 AM

I don't yet have the training to do that kind of repair work (and I have no pets) - I'm just pointing out that she's not a horse with a broken leg in some cowboy movie, she's a fncked-up human being who has the opportunity to be less so, if the society she lives in is prepared to make the effort. But it's easier to see her as a 'monster/animal', and then she can just be 'put out of her misery'. Shades of Dachau. Not that I want to come on too heavy or anything smile. But it's a slippery slope.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/06/09 11:34 AM

I hear what you are saying... but it is a slippery slope. I actually felt some remorse for Jeffrey Dahmer. Truly... I did. How could a person become so disaffected in our society? How could we let someone slip thru the cracks like that?

But we have to know when to cut the cord... so to speak... and let go.

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/06/09 12:32 PM

Paddy has a point

I agree with you at some point - its pointless to rehab

IMO
Has to do with the crimes , I feel that for sure robbers , shoplifters even gangsters can be rehab - But murderers who do it for fun cannot
Posted by: keymaker

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/06/09 12:40 PM

Quote:
shoplifters even gangsters can be rehab - But murderers who do it for fun cannot

No I don't agree with that... the prospects of successful rehab are linked to characteristics of the individual rather than to their specific deeds. grin

km

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/06/09 01:07 PM

LOL

I completely disagree , serial killers have never been rehab , and they have one thing in common , they started killing animals before they move onto humans . Would not surprise me if they find out they have a DNA screw lose

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/06/09 02:13 PM

Quote:
serial killers

Well, you're moving the goalposts with "serial killers"- it's the first time you mentioned that. Before it was "murderers who do it for fun" which is slightly different. Over here we've had both types of killer - Peter Sutlcliffe, the Yorkshire ripper for example was type 1 and Mary Bell, the notorious Tyneside child strangler was type 2 and almost every single one of 'em has been rehabilitated <---. grin

km

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/06/09 02:27 PM

What do you think murderers who do it for fun are ? ?

Quote:
Peter Sutlcliffe, the Yorkshire ripper for example was type 1 and Mary Bel, the notorious Tyneside child strangler was type 2 and almost every single one of 'em has been rehabilitated

Only means they are to old to kill again - more likely just not have been caught again
Posted by: Lea

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/06/09 02:41 PM

Rehabilitated enough for you and your children to enjoy living comfortably next door to Bell?

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/06/09 02:42 PM

Quote:
What do you think murderers who do it for fun are ? ?

Not serial killers - Mary Bell supposedly did it for fun but only killed twice which means she's wasn't a serial killer. Myra Hindley was a serial killer but she was also successfully rehabilitated to become a graduate in humanities while serving her sentence. crazy

km

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/06/09 02:51 PM

Here so you understand more about it

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/06/09 03:21 PM

This year-shy-of-an-adult commits a heinous act of cruelty as a joke to cap off the felony that she's also just committed, and should be tried and sentenced as an adult. And you want to liken that to Dachau? She needs to be held responsible for her actions. Not coddled with counseling and a diet coke. So glad you didn't come on too heavy or anything. Sheesh! sick

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/06/09 03:32 PM

Coincidentally it confirms what I said but had it not done so it would have been wrong. smile

km

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/06/09 03:37 PM

Quote:
should be tried and sentenced as an adult.

Oh yeah, minors are adults - that makes a lot of sense. laugh

km

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/06/09 04:00 PM

Wow, Lea. I thought you were against torture. Even for murderers! grin

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/06/09 09:41 PM

Not what I meant at all, steve. As I've said before, if someone's not able to be responsible for their own actions, then society has to be responsible for them - which includes helping them become responsible for their actions. Certainly what I'd like to see is for her to be helped to become an actual adult.

My 'Dachau' comparison was a response to the 'throw her in the shredder' comment. People working in concentration camps (for example) were able to treat other people in concentration camps with profound cruelty and contempt because they'd managed to find a way not to see them as people. I'd prefer not to see any tendency in that direction on the part of society encouraged.

Oh, and if you think being properly counselled is in any way being 'coddled', you've never been properly counselled! Being prompted to look at yourself and your actions honestly is a hell of a lot more challenging than just being locked in a cell every day for a few years, and potentially a great deal more productive. And no, I'm not saying they're mutually exclusive.

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/06/09 10:49 PM

Okay, I acknowledge I'm overreacting here - but as someone born with a disability, I'm sensitive to the 'damaged goods' label.
Posted by: zwei

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/07/09 11:23 AM

People like this are a lost cause …we'll wait till she kills something "important" before doing anything, then reminisce in the warning signs.

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/07/09 01:18 PM

I don't agree. It would be irresponsible in the meantime to let her loose while she can't be responsible for herself. I'm just saying that locking her up is for society's benefit - and then there's things that can be done for her benefit too, which would ultimately be for society's benefit, since society would get back a healthy human into its ranks. It just requires time/money/expertise to bring it about, and this being politically unpopular, it's easier to label her a hopeless monster and throw away the key. Easier but not right.

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/07/09 01:27 PM

Quote:
there's things that can be done for her benefit too, which would ultimately be for society's benefit, since society would get back a healthy human into its ranks.
Sorry, cousin, but that's a huge roll of the dice. The odds are about even that she'd either be rehabilitated, or game the system for three or four years and then go back to stealing, and baking kitty souffle.

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/07/09 01:46 PM

Thats the thing Steve I , don't think rehab in the ""Paddy"" sense of the word happens in our systems ? ? Essentially its just punishment .

I heard you get some job training in a few fields of work and maybe some group mental therapy sessions but thats about it ? I believe , not a 100% sure , I don't think an inmate gets one on one sessions with a "shrink" on a regular bases ?

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/07/09 02:07 PM

Quote:
I don't think an inmate gets one on one sessions with a "shrink" on a regular bases ?
Actually they do in certain cases. A long time friend of mine majored in psych, and his first job out of college in the early '70s was as a staff shrink at Cedar Junction Prison (formerly Walpole State Prison) in Massachusetts, and he had weekly counseling sessions with Albert DeSalvo, The Boston Strangler. It creeped him out big time and he had to quit a year later.

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/07/09 02:16 PM

Interesting
I guess yes in some cases but do you think it is for rehab ? and for the whole prison population ?

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/07/09 02:20 PM

Quote:
The odds are about even that she'd either be rehabilitated

They're greater than even as it happens but whatever they happen to be withdrawal of the opportunity however slim is morally repugnant. cry

km

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/07/09 02:36 PM

What rehabilitation might look like:

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/07/09 03:08 PM

Hard to say, and it varies from prison to prison -- even within the same state, I believe. DeSalvo was serving (I think) multi-ple life sentences, with no chance of parole. So anything the shrinks did with him was more likely for research than for rehab. But the present day prison system is a two-edged sword, because more inmates learn to be more "efficient" criminals, rather than productive citizens.

But still, you can't allow these people to duck the consequences of their actions. Sometimes, it's just too late for intervention. Jeez, looka what a hopeless case youse toined out t'be, ya thug and a half, youse! grin

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/07/09 03:46 PM

Quote:
So anything the shrinks did with him was more likely for research than for rehab.

Yep thats what I think too - sorta get some "profiling" data for law enforcement

As for rehab - I don't think there is any (measure) or exact science that anyone can say for sure that this murderer is 100% rehabilitated aside from releasing them and wait and see if they murder again.

Re: What a despicable little girl... - 12/08/09 01:16 AM

The main problem is that the kind of counselling that some of these people need is simply not available at the moment, because it's expensive to provide, and therefore never high on any penal system's priority list - which these days is just about trying to cope with 'managing' the high number of inmates on not enough funds.

It's pretty similar in mental health generally - patients who would benefit from therapeutic input just get 'managed' instead because there's not enough money in the system to provide the necessary staff and expertise hours.

I'm really railing against fate here, because I've read the evidence that extraordinary transformations are possible given the right circumstances and input, and I know that the way our system is set up, those circumstances are hardly ever provided except in pioneering research programmes.

Some people may never be 'ready to be released' but that doesn't mean you can't help them to become better and happier people anyway, and I believe that's one of the purposes prison should serve.