Cable Internet speed

Posted by: MacBozo

Cable Internet speed - 11/30/09 02:24 PM

Probably getting a new cable modem on Thursday PM. Recently got a phone call that my internet speed was increased to 10 Mbps. I contacted my provider and informed them that I was only getting about 5 Mbps on a good day. They are coming out to check the line quality and swap out the modem.
Posted by: iBookmaster

Re: Cable Internet speed - 11/30/09 03:33 PM

Aren't you glad you don't have dialup? I help some people that still have it. What a shame. It's slooooow. But, it's all we had at one time.

Re: Cable Internet speed - 11/30/09 03:40 PM

And we thought that 56 Kbs was fast. laugh
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Cable Internet speed - 11/30/09 03:59 PM

They had to put a new line in here not too long ago. It helped the speed. The original line was from 2001 or so. The cable guy said that it was brittle.
Posted by: carp

Re: Cable Internet speed - 11/30/09 04:03 PM

My first modem was 14.4 - wow I almost had bragging rights laugh but back then internet was mostly text based and still slow - but hey thats all you knew right

Re: Cable Internet speed - 11/30/09 04:03 PM

I still have the modem they supplied when I upgraded from dialup to cable. That was 6, 7 years ago?
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Cable Internet speed - 12/01/09 12:46 PM

I still have dial up...about the only thing available unless I go with Hughes or Wild Blue....and the Hughes guy tells me that we have too many trees, so cut them down or live with
dial up...I connect at 24,000 to 35,000 bps most days
and to make me feel better the isp tells me that you know that is connect speed and is not the real speed of down/up loads....but he can sell me some kind of compression
thing that will make things faster...yeah right
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Cable Internet speed - 12/01/09 01:41 PM

"Sell you" compression software? It should be free.

Re: Cable Internet speed - 12/01/09 03:10 PM

NetZero had something like that for my mom. Their regular dialup package was $9.95/mo. If you wanted the "plus" version - the compression program - it was $14.95/mo. They seem to have done away with that, though.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Cable Internet speed - 12/01/09 05:45 PM

I'm considering a new option in Atlanta..
Clear.com

My Comcast originally ran at 6 Mbs download but now is boosted to 20 Mbs and costs $60 /month.
Clear runs at 6 Mbs my old rate, but for $75 a month I can get home internet, a phone service to replace my Vonage ($25/month), AND here's the kicker, a wireless 4G antenna for my MacBook.

So I replace $85 a month bill (Comcast + Vonage) for one that's $10 cheaper but I also get 4G for my laptop. Let me tell you 4G is 10X faster than 3G (iPhone) rates.. I've seen it work and it's very close to being hard wired in.
The only downside of this deal is going back to 6 Mbs for the Home but that's very tolerable rate.

What do you think? confused
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Cable Internet speed - 12/01/09 06:19 PM

I think they should come here!
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Cable Internet speed - 12/01/09 06:19 PM

6 of one, half a dozen of the other! wink

Re: Cable Internet speed - 12/02/09 02:05 PM

Is that Satellite ? If so I would seriously check into it on its reliability - Then again land line is not that great either .

Sure they make all these marketing boast but the reality is different

Re: Cable Internet speed - 12/02/09 03:22 PM

Quote:
Is that Satellite ?

Yes you can take your laptop anywhere in the 4 G area... the park, car, house, bar, airport, any where !

Re: Cable Internet speed - 12/02/09 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: DLC
Quote:
Is that Satellite ?

Yes you can take your laptop anywhere in the 4 G area... the park, car, house, bar, airport, any where !

Thats the thing

Here satellite has been spotty at best due to satellites that service here are very low on the horizon to begin with and bad weather then comes into play and I heard one excuse the tilt of the planet ?

Atlanta would be different , well I think so ?

Re: Cable Internet speed - 12/02/09 05:03 PM

I/believe/that/4G/is/via/the/cell/network.
Like/3G.
Posted by: iRock

Re: Cable Internet speed - 12/02/09 05:51 PM

I finally got Qwest DSL last Friday night. Saweeeet! No more satellite, but if I moved where satellite was the only option I would take it.

Re: Cable Internet speed - 12/02/09 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: carp

Here satellite has been spotty at best due to satellites that service here are very low on the horizon to begin with and bad weather then comes into play and I heard one excuse the tilt of the planet ?

Atlanta would be different , well I think so ?

Does Atlanta not tilt so extremely? The tilt is less in Atlanta?

hmmmm. . . wink

Re: Cable Internet speed - 12/02/09 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
I/believe/that/4G/is/via/the/cell/network.
Like/3G.

You're right it IS ... I don't know what I was thinking ! blush

I had one of them thar "W" moments. wink

Re: Cable Internet speed - 12/02/09 06:54 PM

Tilt/should/have/no/effect.The/satellites/are/geostationary/over/the/Equator/regardless/of/tilt.
The/low/on/the/horizon/argument/has/some/merit/though.Wouldnt/be/nearly/as/low/the/farther/South/you/are.

ZOOM! - 12/03/09 10:53 AM

The tech adjusted the line quality and swapped out the modem. I'm good!
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Cable Internet speed - 12/03/09 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Pirate
but he can sell me some kind of compression
thing that will make things faster...yeah right
It compresses images and any graphics that it can, it does help a bit. Images show up a bit pixelated or fuzzy. I think you have the option to load them full res after the page loads if you want.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: ZOOM! - 12/03/09 08:42 PM

I like Comcast, even though it isn't perfect. Living way out here on a peninsula in the Atlantic Ocean, this is about the best bang I can get for the buck.

Re: ZOOM! - 12/03/09 10:41 PM

Wow! Look at your upload compared to mine! "Burst" speed I guess.