World Cup

Posted by: Waragainstsleep

World Cup - 06/12/06 02:10 PM

No-one's mentioned it yet as far as I can tell, is aybody else watching?
Thoughts, predictions and comments please!
Posted by: mordaskyt

World Cup - 06/12/06 05:11 PM

I watched the US get stomped today by the Czech Republic.... Not a pretty sight. Now we only need to beat Italy to stay in.......

World Cup - 06/12/06 05:13 PM

The Italy match is at 3 on Saturday
Posted by: shadowboxer47

World Cup - 06/12/06 07:34 PM

Soccer sucks. Go find a real sport!

(Sorry, couldn't help myself :P)

World Cup - 06/13/06 12:31 PM

I had a feeling I would attract posts like that. Though I was expecting it to contain the words: "...not another 0-0 draw..."

Anyhow, you lot ought to like 'soccer' these days, you're ranked 5th in the world at the moment (somehow). Maybe not for too long, but its not a bad achievement at any rate.
Of course if you're not American as I have assumed, then I apologise for making the assumption. And for your lack of taste wink

World Cup - 06/13/06 12:42 PM

Not sure myself how the rankings are determined. I know most of the US players are in the Euro pro leagues. I would be very dissapointed if the US does not make the second round. We might be able to beat Italy, though I wouldn't bet the farm as we say....
Posted by: Kisin

World Cup - 06/13/06 03:15 PM

USA got a though group, Italy is a good team, things are looking dicey for USA.
Mexico is looking good tough! vamos muchachos!!!!
mexico is 4th and usa 5th in the fifa ranking, I guess FIFA fellas don't watch their own sport because as much as I love my team (mexico) there's no way were good enough for 4th!

World Cup - 06/13/06 06:35 PM

"If Soccer were a softdrink, it would be Diet Pepsi"

laugh
Posted by: whitlock

World Cup - 06/13/06 08:23 PM

If the U.S. is 5th in the world, and we are so apathetic about the whole deal, then what would happen if we cared?
Posted by: burtman

World Cup - 06/14/06 03:49 AM

Originally Posted By: "shadowboxer47"
Soccer sucks. Go find a real sport!

(Sorry, couldn't help myself :P)

<flame>
It's football you fool! you play it with your feet.
</flame>

World Cup - 06/14/06 11:34 AM

Don't hear anyone complaining about other sports which limit what you can use. Maybe you play baseball with an umbrella and tennis with butt instead of a racket. Perhaps your golf clubs bear a striking resemblence to a carton of french fries?
All sports have rules, or they wouldn't be sports. Football is a deceptively simple concept with immense tactical possibilities where simply being bigger, stronger or faster is not sufficient to give you an advantage.
Yes there are alot of dull low-scoring games, but thats what makes the good games so good. Lets face it. basketball can be an entertaining sport at times, but in 90% of basketball games there is almost no point whatsoever in watching the first 3 quarters. There's rarely more than a couple of points difference when the last one starts. Thats dull if you ask me.

World Cup - 06/14/06 11:36 AM

Don't hear anyone complaining about other sports which limit what you can use. Maybe you play baseball with an umbrella and tennis with butt instead of a racket. Perhaps your golf clubs bear a striking resemblence to a carton of french fries?
All sports have rules, or they wouldn't be sports. Football is a deceptively simple concept with immense tactical possibilities where simply being bigger, stronger or faster is not sufficient to give you an advantage.
Yes there are alot of dull low-scoring games, but thats what makes the good games so good. Lets face it. basketball can be an entertaining sport at times, but in 90% of basketball games there is almost no point whatsoever in watching the first 3 quarters. There's rarely more than a couple of points difference when the last one starts. Thats dull if you ask me.

World Cup - 06/14/06 03:38 PM

Unfortunately somebody had been messing with my post, *cough* shadowboxer *cough* I don't feel theirs anything wrong with limiting a sport to one part of the anatomy (well within reason)

World Cup - 06/14/06 06:21 PM

Hmmm... if I messed with your post, it wasn't on purpose. Sorry 'bout that.

As to the topic at hand: the fact that other sports suck, waragainstsleep, doesn't mean Soccer doesn't. Yes, other sports suck. It's just that soccer sucks more.

:P

World Cup - 06/15/06 01:32 AM

Lets just stop now before your signature applies to us eh?

World Cup - 06/17/06 03:26 PM

Alright so the US tied Italy! 1 to 1, so what if we got our point when the Italians knocked the ball into their own goal....
Posted by: anil8tor

World Cup - 06/17/06 03:45 PM

ok my take,
shadow, football or "socker" as we on this side of the pond call it. Is with out a doubt the most popular sport in the world. I am proud USA is 5th. Even though it should be "HOCKEY" a real mans sport! aRRRR!

World Cup - 06/17/06 06:28 PM

Literally just been watching some hockey. I would have found it alot more entertaining if I had been able to keep track of the puck!

World Cup - 06/18/06 04:38 AM

Do you mean hockey as in ICE hockey or hockey as in played on a field or astroturf with non of this padding stuff (and less fights)? (me stir things... never!)
Posted by: anil8tor

World Cup - 06/18/06 04:44 AM

The kind with ice and missing teeth!
BTW war, we have "puck trails" on US tv. So you can see the puck, like mouse trials on your computer. Very cool!