Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic

Posted by: steveg

Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 12:52 PM

If youse guys are serious, we should get some ideas on the tabel and recruit someone to organize it (only kidding, lesh, I know you have a lot on your plate right now). Honestly -- after opening my big mouth -- I don't have any spare time right now either. I'll do a tile, but I am booked solid through late May.<br><br>So, let the ideas flow, and if anyone wants to step up and manage the project... let's hear it.<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 12:55 PM

Well, if I knew what the salary was for managing it, I would do it.<br><br>And the job qualifications and skills needed to do such a thing, I would volunteer..<br><br>As such I probably lack both, I am more than likely the worst candidate for it.<br><br>With that, I hereby put my name into the hat to manage it LOL<br><br>Seriously, I would do it if it didn't require too much skill level.<br><br>

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 01:02 PM

This shouldn't be rocket science. If we do the states thing, everyone can do their tile independently. No need to send edges out to groups of artists. It's really just a matter of kewping track of who is doing what tile, then assembling the whole "country" once you have all the tiles. The trick is to have everyoine work at the same scale and resolution, and for everyone's file to be done as a jpg or eps file, or somethingn that can be converted to that format.<br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 01:09 PM

I just downloaded a USA map in Illustrator. It can be seperated individually. I could do that and send them to the people that couldn't do it themselves. It is vector I believe so we could make it bigger. I don't think there is a file for Alaska & Hawaii. I can check later. It is on the Adobe Exchange site.<br><br>"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims."<br>--Harriet Wood

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 01:12 PM

YOU DA... um ...woMAN!<br><br>John, you want to start a list of states and artists? I'll do NY (what a surprise!) <br><br>

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 01:12 PM

Sounds like we have a volunteer!! <br><br>Thanks Shelli for saving my bacon. Steve was speaking way over my head LOL<br><br>
Posted by: sross

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 01:16 PM

Put me down for Texas<br><br><br>

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 01:19 PM

My only limitation is bandwidth speed. 2.5 kbs per second. However I do have 2 .mac accounts for storage. So if we can get around the uploading and downloading time I can help with file management. I have to be off here for awhile so you guys work out the logistics while I'm gone. <br><br>"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims."<br>--Harriet Wood

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 01:20 PM

Done again! Thanks.<br><br>

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 01:20 PM

All the states are on the map including offshore.<br><br>"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims."<br>--Harriet Wood

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 01:21 PM

Fab-O!<br><br>
Posted by: lesh

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 01:24 PM

Yay Shelli! [big round of applause]<br><br>I'll take Rhode Island, natch, but it's going to be the size of a pencil eraser, so I'd certainly be happy to work on a few others, too.<br><br>

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 01:26 PM

Thanks. Let's see who else jumps in over the next few days. Then if we need people to take extra "territory", then bring it ON! <br><br>
Posted by: MrsJonnyCat

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 01:28 PM

Count the JC's in too. One of us can do NH, and the other could do Vermont or Maine, I suppose.<br><br>MrsJC<br><br>If the 7-11 is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, why are there locks on the doors?

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 01:33 PM

Otay! One JC for NH and the other for.............?<br><br>

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 01:34 PM

http://homepage.mac.com/rockhell/FileSharing13.html<br>Here is a link to my public folder. There is a file named states.ai.sit. It is an Illustrator 10 file compressed if anyone wants a peek since I will be out of touch for an hour or two. I suggest if it is downloaded we should pick a size before we start building on our states. Dibs on Washington! Maybe Steve could pick a size. Those who can could go ahead and get their state and convert to jpegs after resizing. Those who can't we can help. see ya<br><br>"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims."<br>--Harriet Wood

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 01:35 PM

No problem..actually I have quite a bit storage available to me.<br><br>Of course I'll take Kentucky.<br><br>Steve, I wasn't sure what you meant by listing..you mean starting a new thread with who has what?<br><br>

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 01:36 PM

Good idea Lesh. When we get everyone rounded up we can maybe divvy the remaining states between us. I would like more than one.<br><br>"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims."<br>--Harriet Wood

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 01:37 PM

I'd recommend 17" x 11" as the overall size. Some of us can print that size, and for those who can't, it'll scale down nicely to letter size (11" x 8-1/2"). That feel about right?<br><br>

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 01:38 PM

That sounds good Steve, especially if it's going to get further reduced to postcard size.<br><br>

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 01:39 PM

Yup later this evening I will check the size if someone else hasn't already just don't have time now.<br><br>"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims."<br>--Harriet Wood
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 01:41 PM

Another idea for the borders for the mosaic<br><br>pick a word or short phrase. maybe FREEDOM FOR ALL have a grid background something like this - excuse the quick mock up<br><br><br><br>So the letters are tiles, and the squares are tiles. I could post the masks for each one on our website, everyone is invited to do as many tiles and what ever letter or square they want.<br><br>The more tiles we get done we can have several choices for each tile so there could be hundreds of different mosaics that could be created. For example the letter 'A' - if 5 people do that letter, than you would have 5 choices and could make 5 different mosaics by picking a different version.<br><br>If the pattern is simple enough (or even complex i think), I could write an little app that generates mosaic images from the different tiles.<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 01:45 PM

oop, took me so long to make the post I didn't realise everyone was gung ho about the states idea.<br><br>We could do the same for the states, and have multiple versions for each state so we can make all kinds of mosaics.<br><br>

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 01:45 PM

Brain-dead today -- you just totally lost me. Can you explain that again.<br><br>steveg <------ s-l-o-o-o-o-w-w-w-w....<br><br>

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 01:48 PM

There is an app that makes Mosaics from groups of images:<br><br>MacOSaiX<br><br>

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 01:49 PM

the explanation really wasn't that great <br><br>

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 01:52 PM

cool. I guess somebody had the idea already <br><br><br><br>

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 01:55 PM

Maine.<br><br>MrsJC<br><br>If the 7-11 is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, why are there locks on the doors?

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 01:58 PM

Ay-yuh! <br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 02:00 PM

Did I miss something here??<br>Whats going on?<br><br>Are we talking about another mosaic?<br>MM first?<br>With a theme?<br><br>Count me in.<br><br>

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 02:01 PM

Yeah, this is for the soldiers over in the middle east.<br><br>

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 02:02 PM

Read down, What state do you want (like we can't guess)?<br><br>

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 02:03 PM

or take the image from iRock's site and just plop each person't name on they state they have volunteered for. The we can quickly see which states are not yet spoken for.<br><br>MrsJC<br><br>If the 7-11 is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, why are there locks on the doors?

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 02:05 PM

How 'bout if we keep any message that goes on it fairly simple, like "greetings from home" or something like that?<br><br>

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 02:07 PM

Sold. Anyone who has an idea for a message, let 'er rip, and we'll pick one.<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 02:08 PM

Read down, What state do you want (like we can't guess)?<br><br>Like state of mind?<br>I guess I must read the thread that promoted this adventure.<br><br>But I must see another client right now - Be back in an hour.<br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 02:08 PM

I might have enough time for a tile, but FORGET ANYTHING ELSE!!! <br><br>[color:red]Hold on, it's time for a </font color=red> <br>

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 02:09 PM

You wanna do CT?<br><br>
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 02:12 PM

This is a really good idea Steve.<br><br>Since I have lived in 8 states, I can take leftovers after OH and MI.<br><br>

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 02:15 PM

Aw heck, I suppose I should do NJ, too - being a Jersey girl and all...<br><br>

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 02:20 PM

I'll take any of the upper left hand states, that no one else wants.<br><br>"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims."<br>--Harriet Wood

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 02:24 PM

And I'll take some more too..Tennessee, Florida, whatever...<br><br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 02:31 PM

Sure, I'll take CT- but only if Lori wasn't dead set on having it- if she joins in, that is...<br><br>I'll go back and read this whole thing & go over the rules, meantime...<br><br>[color:red]Hold on, it's time for a </font color=red> <br>
Posted by: Lori

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/16/03 04:06 PM

Actually I was gone last night and today, and i just popped in to read the posts, and still have read enough posts to see what's going on yet.<br><br><br>[color:red]Listen...</font color=red>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Ok, let's talk USA Mosaic - 03/17/03 04:52 AM

I'll take Arizona & Nevada (Arizona if I can only have one tile).<br><br>Also, if we need an online warehouse, I'll volunteer my webserver since I have a 400mb limit and unlimited transfer. I can even make a download page so everyone can get their state borders.<br><br>Oh, by the way, I have the (probably same artwork as iRock) state borders including Alaska and Hawaii which I can convert into Photoshop format and make available for download.<br><br>A thought about this mosaic:<br><br>Since we are doing artwork based on the USA States, obviously when we shrink it down to postcard size to mail you will lose all detail, perhaps when sending the postcards/letters we should mail the individual tiles, and only group the tiles to form the entire US for our own purposes... just a thought.<br><br><br>Visit Me At My .Mac Site