[Highbrow alert] anyone like Bach?

Posted by: padmavyuha

[Highbrow alert] anyone like Bach? - 05/30/09 03:51 AM

I hesitate to post this after the Stravinsky debacle, but I heard this (12.5Mb) last night on BBC Radio 3 and pulled it off their listen-again website when I got home. My favourite Bach chaconne for violin (the long D Minor one), but arranged by Brahms for piano - for left hand only! Bloody hell. And a really good live performance by Ivan Ilic.

That does it - I'm starting piano lessons again - I'm very left-handed and actually have a shot at being able to play this.

Posted by: Papa

Re: [Highbrow alert] anyone like Bach? - 05/30/09 08:43 AM

If you want to learn about Bach, you should check out Glenn Gould on youtube. There are some videos with him discussing Bach and how he created his music. I am not a huge fan of Bach but you should keep in mind that I can't tell an r-flat from a b-sharp. I do think that the world would be a better place if everyone listened to Beethoven's 5th and 9th symphonies every day.
Posted by: trey

Re: [Highbrow alert] anyone like Bach? - 05/30/09 09:29 AM

Quote:
I do think that the world would be a better place if everyone listened to Beethoven's 5th and 9th symphonies every day.

wink

Re: [Highbrow alert] anyone like Bach? - 05/30/09 09:49 AM

Yes, Glenn Gould was an extraordinary man. People bang on about his ego, but when I listen to him playing I hear incredible restraint, because it sound to me like he's holding back his (enormous) passion so that Bach's passion can rise through.

My first experience of Bach was on a moog synth, so I'm no 'purist'...

Musical taste - you just don't get more subjective than this smile.
Posted by: trey

Re: [Highbrow alert] anyone like Bach? - 05/30/09 09:57 AM

YouTube... Is there anything it can't do?
Posted by: Papa

Re: [Highbrow alert] anyone like Bach? - 05/30/09 11:09 AM

Perhaps music does not always have charms to soothe the savage beast.

Re: [Highbrow alert] anyone like Bach? - 05/30/09 12:14 PM

That's 'breast' smile.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: [Highbrow alert] anyone like Bach? - 05/30/09 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: padmavyuha
That's 'breast' smile.

There you go again with the gay bashing!