ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test

Posted by: JonnyCat

ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 02:59 PM

http://imacusers.com/projects<br>for those interested in beta testing<br><br>What's New<br>=========<br><br>Icon contest! When you download the 0.6 version of ImageWell you'll see two disk images - imagewell and imagewell2. The programs are identical except for the Icon - sorry I couldn't figure out how to put the two icons in the same program and have you select it <br><br><br>DaddyMac Icon --------- irazl Icon<br><br>take a look at the two icon entries and vote here for the one you like the best - please view on your machine, the jpg image above doesn't really show the icon very well.<br><br><br><br>More Stuff!<br>========<br><br>- added the ability to put labels on the top, bottom, left or right of the image. please click here for an example<br><br>- added cryptic error messages! yes that's right if the image can't load you'll get an error now, followed by a meaningless number to frustrate you! (I'll try to decode these in later versions)<br><br>- fixed some problems reported like username, password being blank, having to relaunch IW if Send failed, the crop cursor should be easier to see in dark images.<br><br>Stuff left to do<br>==========<br><br>need to make 4 more shapes<br>improved crop function<br>help file<br>improved Send feature to allow simultaneous file sends<br><br>and ooops - reset button doesn't reset Label tab - just noticed that!<br><br>cheers and enjoy!<br><br><br>

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 03:01 PM

clarification<br><br>- added cryptic error messages! yes that's right if the image can't be sent to iDisk/Webserver you'll get an error now, followed by a meaningless number to frustrate you! (I'll try to decode these in later versions)<br><br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 03:11 PM

I like iraszl icon - If somehow they could import DaddyMacs "well" into Iraszl icon would be neat.<br><br>Just my opinion from someone that does not use ImageWell yet - because There is NO 9 version <br><br>Your doing great.<br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 03:36 PM

If you're not able to use it, your vote doesn't count!!!<br><br><br><br>[color:red]Hold on, it's time for a </font color=red> <br>

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 03:45 PM

Hehehehehe<br><br>I was voteing on the art work "icons" - not on the program.<br><br>

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 03:46 PM

That's what I meant...<br><br>NO SOUP FOR YOU!<br><br><br>[color:red]Hold on, it's time for a </font color=red> <br>

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 03:54 PM

No thats not what you meant.<br><br>Since I don't have the program I could never ever rate it in anyway.<br><br>But when it comes to art anyone can.<br><br>So;<br>I like yours too but it looks kinda like for Windows XP, while Iraszl looks more for OSX. Hence why I felt if it was possible to place your "well" image into Iraszl icon would be a good blend.<br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 03:57 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I like yours too but it looks kinda like for Windows XP<p><hr></blockquote><p>Yo DM, youse want I should hold him up while youse woiks him ovah? <br><br>

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 04:00 PM

just having fun testing the new feature!<br><br><br><br>

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 04:01 PM

Gettin' mo' slicker every time, JC! <br><br>

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 04:04 PM

Ahh Hagen<br><br>Possible bug report-<br>Seems that ImageWell has lost Jonnys left eye <br><br>

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 04:04 PM

Nah, I don't like to get my hands dirty...<br><br>Look for a black Lincoln Continental in front of the house, carp....<br><br><br><br>[color:red]Hold on, it's time for a </font color=red> <br>

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 04:05 PM

Yo DM, youse want I should hold him up while youse woiks him ovah?<br><br>The best you could do is hold my toes together - What ya talking about??? <br><br>
Posted by: bird

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 04:20 PM

Hi ! I want to download your fantastic program but I guess I need to wait only becouse I really never know where to put put downloads after I download them and I don't know how to use my .mac account. I am trying to still learn the basics but I am slow and deslexic to boot (for real) I am afraid if I download now I would have to trash the older versions first and I have a problem doing that right. I wish I had the nerve to download it now but I guess I will wait. I still wouldn't know how to get the pictures from my imagewell to .mac to the forum. I see the little well image when you posted a picture of your desktop, how did you get it there? See I am so not ready. Anyway I am loving it but I need to wait till the final version or I think I will really mess things up!! Thanks, I think it is so great wish I had the nerve to try it!! Ginny I wish I could borrow one of you for a week. Dazed and confused in NC. Thanks you all. Bird I am making progress slow but sure <br><br>

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 04:20 PM

Stop walking on your hands, dammit! <br><br>

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 04:27 PM

ImageWell makes getting images to your .Mac account and on MM real easy!<br><br><br><br>just type in your .mac user name and password (just like in the picture above) and that's it - ImageWell does the rest! ImageWell also puts the [ image ] code on the clipboard after you press Send (to send it to your iDisk) so all you have to do is press Apple-V (paste) when you typing in your post.<br><br>When you download the app just drag the app out of the imagewell disk drive into your applications folder. When a new version comes out, just drag the new version into the applications folder and click 'replace' when asked.<br><br>
Posted by: bird

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 05:00 PM

I think I will give it a go! I can always get help. After all the creator is only a post away. I will try. This from someone who ended up with 10 iphoto's!! Yep I just kept making them. Here an alias there an alias, everywhere an Alias. That was a year ago, I still remember it. Still haven't put one photo on my mac or connected my camera. Do you smell the fear? Lol! Ok I will give it a go! I will surrender to my fears. Let the games begin. Believe it or not now I have to talk myself into actually downloading it. Thanks I printed out all my instruction's. Thats a good step in the right direction.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 05:05 PM

now we just need a way for it to "remember" or "bookmark" the images with their labels and the image tags for future use... in other words, remember what I've already uploaded, like a photo album - oh, that's probably what clickboard is for, right? <br><br><br>Visit Me At My .Mac Site
Posted by: Lori

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 05:08 PM

you got it!!<br>Now don't forget...that was my idea!!<br><br><br>[color:red]Listen...</font color=red>
Posted by: nutty

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 05:23 PM

supergreg likes icon number 2<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 05:26 PM

It's a tie so far. I guess that's what happens when everyone votes for both candidates <br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 05:51 PM

#2 is definitely more OSX/Professional looking and I like it the best, but I think #1 has more personality. I guess it comes down to personal preference.<br><br><br>Visit Me At My .Mac Site
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 05:54 PM

Don't know if I'd like to see icon 1 "Aquafied" or not. I like it's "Smoothicon-ness." Like 'em both... awesome little app!<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 06:02 PM

Yeah, it is a terrific app, JC.<br><br>Since you do Windows programming, let me ask you, now that you've tried your hand at Cocoa, which environment seems to you better to work with?<br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 06:16 PM

Things I like about the Windows Programming environment I wished I had on the Mac<br>- Visual Studio is far more mature and better for debugging than the tools that come with OSX. But the tools are getting better so it's just a matter of time.<br>- Documentation from MS is better than Apple<br>- Kernel level debugger from SoftICE on Windows is the best damn debugger on the entire planet - wish they would make one for OSX<br><br>Things I really don't miss (and absolutely hate about windows)<br>- ActiveX, OLE, Direct whatever, or any other flavor of COM. COM is really an unmanagable crap load of technology. <br><br><br>Now what I really like about Cocoa/OSX programming<br>- Interface Builder. This is one sweet visual interface building tool<br>- Objective C - I'm really warming up to using this language. At first I was kinda partial, but now I'm really enjoying the ease of resuability of code.<br>- Unix core. There are thousands of unix programs and utilities that are available and this code is really mature. Take for example curl, which is the unix command line that sends the pictures to iDisk. ImageWell uses curl and launches the program in the background - I didn't have to write a line of code to do WebDAV or FTP. This interface is simpler and easier than any COM type interface on Windows.<br>- The rich and high precision graphics core of Aqua. ImageWell leverages these high precisions and versatile functions to do all the graphics work - a dream come true. Most of the fancy stuff is done in one or two lines of code and I haven't found any limitations yet.<br><br>I'm looking forward to digging into the QuickTime API next.<br><br>

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 06:46 PM

Very interesting, JC. Thanks for your thoughts.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I'm looking forward to digging into the QuickTime API next.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Can't wait to see the results <br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: hayesk

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 06:55 PM

Is the link on that page missing? I only see version 0.5 on the page, and when I download, I get version 0.4.<br><br>I missed the last round of testing, I'm anxious to try it out. <br><br>

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 06:57 PM

try refereshing your browser page.<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 07:10 PM

Got it, thanks! Really slick app! <br><br>Is it too soon for a feature suggestion? I would love to see a button to convert to grayscale.<br><br>

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 07:15 PM

"Is it too soon for a feature suggestion?"<br><br>As a programmer I usually have the opposite problem. Usually it's too late for a feature suggestion <br><br><br>suggestions are always welcome. I'm trying to learn a broad range of things in Cocoa right now. Some features won't be put in, cause I have no idea or haven't read the chapter yet on how to do it <br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/23/03 08:29 PM

#1 for me. I prefer icons to not be system like. With older eyes, and icons made small to preserve space, distinctive icons are easier to spot. All these little pen on paper icons are confusing but #1 is easy to spot.<br>I'll use it no matter what the final choice is.<br><br>drjohn<br><br>[i]My photographs[i]

very close! - 02/23/03 09:18 PM

I've been watching the polls and it's been a practical 50/50 split on the votes all night long. And as I write this post the votes are even 10 votes a piece. So I'm going to declare this race a tie.<br><br>hmmm.....<br><br>well both are great icons and I guess I'll flip a coin - HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA <br><br>
Posted by: greenme1

Re: very close! - 02/23/03 09:30 PM

There, does that help? <br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: ImageWell 0.6 ready for beta test - 02/24/03 06:43 AM

I haven't had a chance to check out your app yet, but I am going to play around with it. <br><br>I chose icon #2. <br><br>