What's the appliance you value most?

Posted by: macdavid

What's the appliance you value most? - 01/04/09 01:35 PM

No question about it for me: clothes washer & dryer.
Just about every time I do the laundry, I get a flash-back of bygone days tripping to the laundromat. What a great convenience. Better than the TV, micro, toaster, laptop... Nothin' beats it.
Posted by: margadagio

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/04/09 01:53 PM

That's a hard question. While I certainly agree about a washer and dryer, I have to say the most valuable appliances have to do with food.... keeping it fresh and making it cooked. A refrigerator and stove are THE most valuable. Everything else is just convenience.
Posted by: VarmintBlubber

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/04/09 02:00 PM

For luxuries beyond washers, dryers and fridges, I have to say our Delonghi grill ranks right up there.

So often it comes down to food, don't it.
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/04/09 02:19 PM

I'm with Marg. My #1 would be the fridge with the stove a close second. "Frivilous appliance" - definitely my satellite PVR.

Of course, my Macs come before ANYTHING, even food! wink
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/04/09 02:19 PM

A microwave is hard to live without anymore...especially for a guy!
Posted by: VarmintBlubber

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/04/09 02:40 PM

No microwaves here... can't stand the things. I inevitably associate them with bad processed food. Give me my grill any day!

Alec, interesting you should call a Mac an appliance. Blasphemy! I think you need a good reprogramming...

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/04/09 02:50 PM

My microwave is definitely important. I use mine all the time for reheating leftover food, specially since I tend to make some meals in large batches and then put into single portion servings for later meals. Other than popcorn, it never gets used for primary cooking.

I still consider a micro a nice convenience rather than something of value. If I didn't have one I could perform the same task with my stove and oven. It's just a bit more fussy to do so.
Posted by: Piper_14

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/04/09 05:05 PM

Does "computer" even count as an appliance? 'Cause then I would say my number 1 is my MacBook, followed by our iMac.

If not, add my name to the group who choose "Refridgerator" and "Microwave".
Posted by: Pirate

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/04/09 06:16 PM

At first I thought perhaps a stove....but then I can cook on a BBQ grill or in a pit..then I thought a fridge,but an ice house will keep things cool....dryer...nope just hang the clothes out on the line and use natures dryer, the wind and sun....washer..but I can use a wash board and tub....computers..I put them in the same class as telephones...communications, I got it....
central heat and air conditioning.
Posted by: FSM

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/04/09 06:26 PM

krasni has a clothes dryer . . . i am guessing that more than 95% of the rest of Italy doesn't. it's certainly not a necessity there.

Fridge enables us to not have to visit the store daily. but i don't know that i could comfortably give up any major appliance. i could give up my toaster probably and my rice cooker.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/04/09 08:23 PM

I don't know if you would call it an appliance, but my grill comes to mind first. The fridge and freezer are probably must haves, though. Central heat and air, as nice as they are, are not essential to me. I grew up in Florida without either. The washing machine comes in pretty high on the list, but I also grew up line drying the clothes, so the dryer is not a priority. Water heater ranks high as a necessity.
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/04/09 09:29 PM

Got no microwave, no TV smile - I would say it's my wood stove, because everything else depends on electricity, but if that were out, I could still stay warm and cook on the wood stove. Summer would be a different story, though!
Posted by: drjohn

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/04/09 10:29 PM

The refrigerator would be my choice.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/05/09 04:45 AM

When the power goes the fridge and the furnace are the two most missed. I guess the fridge would be number one. But without the electric light bulb New England winters would suck. A few weeks are fine but a whole winter of darkness would require heavy drinking ...

The microwave? I can live without popcorn.
Posted by: MrB

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/05/09 02:02 PM

Last year just before Christmas (2007) I got a new Amana bottom freezer refridgerator. Simply wonderful!!!

Best buy I ever made I think. The fridge is the most important. Think about it. It keeps food fresh. AS a lad we heated with a wood stove. One right in the middle of the living room. Mom had gas range but we had a fridge. Our house didn't have many electrical outlets so we didn't have too many electric appliances and we always kept a kerosene lamp handy for the often power outages.

Have you ever drink warm mild right out of the cow? Sure you can drink it but having a way to cool it is so wonderful if you know times when you don't have it.

That is the thing. We are so used to having certain things that we don't know how it is when we don't. My grand folks, for a while, when I was a we one, had an old "ice box". The kind where you guy a chunk of ice and put it in the box to keep the food chilled. One really appreciates a refridgerator. Of course having to physically cut wood for the house and the stove is something most people have never experianced so having a heated house that automatically keeps the room warm is nice also. In the old days, we spent most saturdays cutting wood for the house, using a chain saw and a bigger circular saw mounted and powered by one of our tractors. Sure bests using the old two man manual saw to cut trees but still a lot of work.

When I asked my 86 year old sister what she thought was the most important thing she has witnessed since she was born in 1921 she thought for just a moment and said it was the electrification of the country. Even though electricity was available for many cities in the latter part of the 19th century it didn't reach our area until the late 1930's and even into the 40's so I bet she was right.

dave

Posted by: Nana

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/05/09 04:14 PM

2 things

My double decker toaster/broiler oven. Use it more than my stove oven.

My 11 ft tall freezer. I hate food shopping. I grocery shop once a year in bulk.

Make that 3 things

My Food Saver to freeze bag all that meat.
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/06/09 05:47 AM

We finally replaced our ancient dryer, and finally drying clothes keeps up with washing them, so I'd say the washer/dryer too.

I like line dried clothes, but living where I do the clothes would get filthy from the corn and grain dryers so that's not an option.
Posted by: keymaker

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/06/09 02:03 PM

I like the way everyone just assumes that using clothes dryers and all these things is AOK despite the cost to everyone else in terms of global warming and the environment.

km
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/06/09 02:19 PM

Other than a clothes dryer, is there another way to dry a load of laundry?

[In Ory-gawn, it seems like it rains 24/7 . . . ]

smile

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/06/09 02:40 PM

Quote:
Other than a clothes dryer, is there another way to dry a load of laundry?

[In Ory-gawn, it seems like it rains 24/7 . . . ]

Well, what did everyone do in Ory-gawn before electricity?

km
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/06/09 02:52 PM

They wore their clothes wet or dried them by the fire.

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/06/09 02:57 PM

Quote:
They wore their clothes wet or dried them by the fire.

Wore their clothes wet? What kind of a divvy would do that?

km
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/06/09 03:10 PM

I think the unwarranted assumption is that pre-electricity Oregonians washed their clothes. wink

Anyway, for drying clothes in a wet climate, the usual practice was to put the clothes next to a fire.

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/06/09 04:06 PM

Back when laundry was harder to wash and dry, people just did it less often, had less clothes, and had a different relationship with body odour from the current one(s). Rich folk would have a fire-powered drying room of some sort in cold/wet countries.
Posted by: FSM

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/06/09 04:39 PM

cool, i am going to burn some coal now to dry my clothes.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/06/09 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: keymaker
I like the way everyone just assumes that using clothes dryers and all these things is AOK despite the cost to everyone else in terms of global warming and the environment.

km
You are assuming clothes dryers and all of those things use energy only generated by pollution producing methods?

How do you post here? Is that chisel and stone tablet USB, and does the cave have wireless? wink smirk
Posted by: Jim_

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/06/09 06:24 PM

Quote:
What's the appliance you value most?
I'd say a running refrigerator, after unexpectedly being without electricity for extended periods twice in the last year and a half and losing two refrigerators full of food.

Dishwasher next, tied for second place with the pollution pumping clothes washer and dryer.

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/06/09 07:30 PM

I don't think of the refrigerator as an appliance, although of course it is. To me, in this world, it's an essential necessity, period. To me an appliance is something that you could live without. I know that's a pretty idiosyncratic definition, but it's my own. What can I say. So in the category of appliance I value, I'd put the TV

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/06/09 07:33 PM

Quote:
You are assuming clothes dryers and all of those things use energy only generated by pollution producing methods?

All energy produces pollution, no? According to the Aussies every wash load sent around in a dryer pumps 3 kilograms of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere so here's <--- what youse should all be doing. Oh, make sure you use a cold wash as well because heating the water for a hot wash pumps out another 4 kilograms.

km

Posted by: carp

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/06/09 07:52 PM

Quote:
All energy produces pollution, no?

You are correct

Even to produce the materials to build a Wind Generating Electric Props , you have to produce pollution to create the energy saving device - short term -vs- long term pollution savings if you will

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/07/09 12:06 AM

Of course Australia is mostly a relatively hot, relatively low-humidity country - they have drying rooms that are just a room you hang your clothes up in, and... they dry. Try that in England (or, I guess, NOLA) and you get penicillin farms smile. I have found that leaving the washing in the washing machine for at least 1/2 hour after the wash finishes results in much drier clothes than taking them straight out after. Then they go on the radiators, unless it happens to be sunny/not winter. Of course, that makes the whole house damper, but it's the only option.

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/07/09 02:23 AM

I've decided this winter to hang all my clothes to dry inside. It's saves quite a bit in electricity and as an added bonus puts some much needed moisture in the air.
Posted by: eckhard

my espresso machine, of course! - 01/07/09 02:55 PM

First thing my sleepy mind makes me do in the morning, is flick that switch. The day doesn't start until I had a double dose of Crema.

Re: What's the appliance you value most? - 01/07/09 04:10 PM

I use the dryer only when absolutely essential--maybe three times a year. In the summer we hang clothes outside. In the winter, we hang clothes inside, down in the basement right next to the furnace. I don't know how much energy and money we save, but I'm sure it's pretty significant.