The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial

Posted by: Mac007

The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/04/08 09:20 PM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/afR5J7eskno&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/afR5J7eskno&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object><br><br>I'm not sure what to make of this?! <br><br>"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/04/08 09:58 PM

I can't wait for the next one, where they wander down the street pushing shopping trolleys, screaming "The Kaiser will steal my string!"<br><br>- padmavyuha<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>
Posted by: soulotomy

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/05/08 01:43 AM

A PC using friend of my wife's is in town staying with us a few days. We were talking about some stuff, with the sedation box going in the background, when somehow the commercial caught someone's attention. Yeah, it was Gates's presence, IIRC, that was the grabber.<br><br>Well, it seems to be a major dud, at least in this house. The reaction was "what the hell was that?" Then, "Oh, that's just Microsoft trying to be cool, but they're not cool." I think that's the ticket - They're trying to be cool, but don't have a clue.<br><br>For starters, Seinfeld aint cool no more. He might have been at one time, but he's out to pasture. He's like Sinatra - Sinatra always could sing, but as far as being a cool dude, he hit a point where he just wasn't cool no more, just some great old singer playin to a roomful of blue hair (the Grecian formula dudes).<br><br>So, Seinfeld is a great comic genius, but aint cool no more, like Sinatra, and the modern day equivalent of dudes in Blue hair are the ones that would think this commercial is cool.<br><br>If they wanted a funny, more contemporary, much cooler Jewish comedian, they shoulda got Adam Sandler.<br><br>Now, what would have been funnier and cooler is that Funky Mahir dude, "I kiss to you all", the famous funny internet meme dude.<br><br>Ed<br><br>MM seems to have lost some of its styling. They must have a layout sheet, and other sheets with other styling stuff musta got orphaned somehow. This is pretty cool, though, in a miminalistic basic sort of way. It works.<br><br>[color:purple]Information isn't a connection - It doesn't stir people</font color=purple><br>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/05/08 04:00 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>If they wanted a funny, more contemporary, much cooler Jewish comedian, they shoulda got Adam Sandler.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Ed, I used to think you were cool, but now . . . <br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/05/08 04:14 AM

Hopefully, the last.<br><br>- alec -
Posted by: margadagio

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/05/08 04:39 AM

Simply terrible! <br><br>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/05/08 04:45 AM

It just goes to show that even the best ad agencies can only polish a turd so much. Weiden & Kennedy, famous for their ground-breaking Nike work, fell on it's face trying to market Microsoft back in the 90s. Now, Crispen Porter Bugosky, famous for just about anything interesting this decade, is giving it a shot. I'm not going to write them off just yet, but they have a tough assignment. At least Seinfeld got $10 million out of it.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Piper_14

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/05/08 05:06 AM

You got to be kiding me. THAT'S the ad??!! Apple fans have nothing to worry about...<br><br><br>My Wii: 5721 8516 7937 9434 (PM me if you Wii)
Posted by: Lea

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/05/08 06:00 AM

I don't get it. I can't figure out what they were trying to do. It's like a joke without a punch line. All I get is that there's more to come? More what? Worse, after I watch it, I'm not really interested in whatever is maybe coming ~ Worser, I am curious about how an outfit with so much at stake (and so much money to spend) could be satisfied with something this lame.<br><br>It reflects badly on everyone involved. Not even in the "it's so bad I had to laugh" category.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/05/08 06:51 AM

Not even in the "it's so bad I had to laugh" category.<br><br>Like Vista, huh? <br><br>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/05/08 06:53 AM

My reaction:<br><br>Huh? WTF was that?<br><br>
Posted by: Phosphor

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/05/08 11:32 AM

<OL><B>"...(and so much money to spend)..."</B></OL>HEAD-ON! Apply directly to the forehead!!!<br>HEAD-ON! Apply directly to the forehead!!!<br>HEAD-ON! Apply directly to the forehead!!!<br>HEAD-ON! Apply directly to the forehead!!!<br><br>It was crap, but it played so often there might be 1 percent of the TV watching public that's doesn't know about it, and/or hasn't heard a comedian riff on it.<br><br>Thus advertising does its job. It's rarely about being artful.<br><br>"This is not here."
Posted by: carp

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/05/08 12:12 PM

[color:blue]It just goes to show that even the best ad agencies can only polish a turd so much.</font color=blue> - LOL<br><br>So I guess MS is selling shoes now and next with be a shoe phone. "missed it by that much" "<br><br>
Posted by: MrB

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/05/08 12:38 PM

exactly. I just didn't get it.<br><br>dave<br><br><br><br>

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/05/08 12:45 PM

Well I like the Circus Shoes idea and with the membership card you get them "Big Top Points" I just hope the Circus has funnier clowns then those two <br><br>
Posted by: iBookmaster

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/05/08 01:54 PM

Wow! I'm switching to Windows on the hope of the future. <br><br>Too many lives they've spent across the ocean. Too much money been spent upon the moon. Well, until they make it right, I hope they never sleep at night. They better make some changes and do it soon. -Things Goin' On/Lynyrd Skynyrd

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/05/08 02:24 PM

That the Seinfled/Gates ad is artless isn't the point. Even when I burn rubber to switch channels when the stupid Head On commercial starts up, I still know what they're trying to sell. It's a stupid product, I'll never buy it, but I know what it is.<br><br>With this Seinfeld/Gates ad, I know it has something to do with MS. And I really only know that because the ad generated some entertaining commentary before it even aired. If I hadn't read any of the commentary, I'd watch the ad, truly wondering WTF. I don't have a marketing degree, but sans rocket scientist status, I believe I'm correct in saying: If your audience has no idea what you're selling, you lose.<br><br>Hmmmm. Maybe I don't need the degree. <br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>
Posted by: RubenC

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/05/08 03:01 PM

I can pretty much bet that Jerry Seinfeld had a lot to do with this commercial just based on personal experience from a director friend of mine (who shall remain unnamed) who worked with Jerry directly.<br>I was working on a small group of commercials through Warner Bros. at the time, several of them being the Seinfeld/Superman series for American Express, which IMO were just awful. <br><br> And my friend came into my office one day complaining how Jerry was changing virtually everything that was originally scripted and boarded. And no matter how much he tried to show him it wouldn't look right or work very well, Jerry would just not have any of it. It was his way or no way.<br>Of course the end result proved the point, stick to what you know best, and certainly Jerry is not very good at visualizing and directing commercials, although he thinks he is, and this first commercial just proves it.<br><br> Stick to stand-up comedy Jerry, it's what you know best.<br><br>

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/05/08 03:20 PM

Inside dope. Love it. <br><br>I wonder if Jerry will laugh off the bad reviews on this one, too. <br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/05/08 03:30 PM

So Jerry is somewhat a prima dona? Hope he invests his 10 million well. It might be the last time he gets such a large sum. If these ads flop, which seems to be the case so far, it won't take long in the industry before folks say "Jerry who?"<br><br>
Posted by: RubenC

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/05/08 04:19 PM

Oh yeah, I can just hear him now, "what do they know, anything I touch turns to gold! ha ha ha ha..."<br><br>(rolling eyes)<br><br>

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/05/08 09:12 PM

Well, yeah, you got me there, Mike. I am not cool at all - I know, because my daughters tell me so all the time , but luckily they still love me nevertheless.<br><br>Yeah, I suppose Sandler's not cool, but he makes me laugh (but of course I laugh easily - well, Seinfeld often doesn't make me laugh, though, although that bit with his date's pizza shop owner dad not washing his hands after taking a crap was one of the funniest gags I've ever beheld).<br><br>I tend to base, sophomoric humor - I like to plant numerous remote-controlled fart sound dealies at meetings, often orchestrally. Not the collegiate-like conceit, but childish, immature, etc.<br><br>Ed<br><br>[color:purple]Information isn't a connection - It doesn't stir people</font color=purple><br>

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/05/08 09:47 PM

Ed<br><br>Don't worry my grand daughter is the same way with me trying to be funny - she now only laughs when she thinks she has the one up man ship sorta thing . The grandpa your so out of date kinda thingy<br><br>This also includes them Genius parents as well. The next generation so to speak<br><br>

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/06/08 06:25 AM

Seems like everyone is saying "huh?"<br><br>Not so cool<br><br>

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/06/08 06:55 AM

I read three other reviews last night that said the same thing, but not nearly as well. And get this ~ I hit on them curising through GoogleNews. That I go for my late night news fix with Google says more about the way we seek out information than MS will, apparently, ever really understand.<br><br><br>[color:blue]Yet, here comes Microsoft, in spandex, leg warmers, and headband, spending $300 million on a big honking brand campaign at the very time that no longer works.</font color=blue><br><br><br>Cruel, true and funny. <br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>
Posted by: ChrisN

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/06/08 09:03 AM

Interesting about Seinfeld and his control tendencies. It reminded me of an interview he gave some time ago. Here is a snippet:<br><br>"The audience is a child, and you're responsible for the child," said Seinfeld. "Sometimes that means not giving the child what the child wants. The child isn't happy at the time, but perhaps later the child will understand."<br><br>That almost sounds funny, if not somewhat arrogant. I kinda understand what he means, it's just the way it sounds. Maybe he's better off doing stand up rather than explaining his methods.<br><br>Don't get me wrong, I really like the comedy of Jerry Seinfeld and his tv show. I'm glad he has his success and appreciate all the laughs I've had because of him over the years. <br><br>But, this current venture is just lame so far. He's a victim of his own success.<br><br>Chris <br><br><a href="http://www.light-imagery.com/index.html"target="_blank"></a><br><br><br>

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/06/08 09:07 AM

He's laughing all right, <br><br>all the way to the bank. <br><br><br><br>Chris<br><br><a href="http://www.light-imagery.com/index.html"target="_blank"></a><br><br><br><br>

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/06/08 09:14 AM

And with MS's money. <br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/06/08 09:26 AM

Hmmm... maybe he still is a Mac guy and this all part of his secret plan. heh heh<br><br>Chris<br><br><a href="http://www.light-imagery.com/index.html"target="_blank"></a><br><br>

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/06/08 11:55 AM

Well, his show never struck me as a show 'about nothing' but rather about anal retentiveness, which can be quite funny at times, so that perhaps explains its spottiness with me. Most of the time it wasn't funny, as anal retentive humor can often be, but sometimes it was brilliantly funny.<br><br>So, perhaps he is anal retentive and just got overly anal-retentive, analytical, which is a great recipe for failure, especially concerning so basic as humor. Jack Nicklaus identified 140 parts to a golf swing, but he couldn't golf like that. Though he knew all that stuff, he just 'gripped it and ripped it'. That's likely how all successful people do stuff.<br><br>Ed<br><br>[color:purple]Information isn't a connection - It doesn't stir people</font color=purple><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/07/08 06:43 AM

Reality Check: The Seinfeld ad was superb<br><br>So obviously there must be something wrong with you all! <br><br><br><br>my photos
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/07/08 07:56 AM

I can see some dude in mid-nowhere seeing the commercial and saying, "Ah, yes, that tall dude with the waggling rear end, who is not identified in the ad, can nonetheless be recognized by everyone in America as Mr. Bill Gates, one of the founders and recently retired CEO of Microsoft, that hitherto evil, inhuman, and monopolistic gobbler-up of good ideas which, I now see, has been miscast in that role because, after all, someone with such a waggly rear end couldn't possibly be so Machiavellian and evil, and so the company itself couldn't be so bad, so that its products must be good. So I think I'll go off and buy Vista."<br><br>Riiiight!<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/07/08 08:28 AM

Don Reisinger needs to get out of his parents' basement once in a while!<br><br>- alec -

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/07/08 08:39 AM

Best comment and really sums it up: " . . . the ad simply mirrors and perpetuates the multiple and manifest problems with Vista: it doesn't work."<br><br>Bull's eye.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/07/08 10:35 AM

Well Don is a hardcore PC weenie , he will never get it .<br><br>[color:blue]it took the focus off Gates' money, Vista's problems, and Microsoft's poor public image, and started erecting a more positive image of the company</font color=blue><br><br>Now Bill retired and left MS to Monkey boy -> now to bring Bill back shaking his arse is positive ?? Sure people see Bill = MS but thats not their new image without Bill what they did was bring back the old one<br><br>IMO<br>MS should focus on their new image and not try to humanize Bill he is gone already<br><br>

Re: The first Seinfeld/Bill Gates commercial - 09/07/08 01:49 PM

That guy's too funny. What a pontifical moron, publicly confirming his idiocy to the world - Ahhh, I just love the internet at times - It's like The Gong Show. This isn't about Vista at all, but a far greater and more important picture.<br><br>I have it from an informed source that the campaign objective is to promote Microsoft's continuing platform relevance in an information processing environment profoundly different from that of ten years ago.<br><br>OK, now, my translation of this MicroSpeak is that this is a platform on a fast train to irrelevance. The desktop is over with (for everyone, of course). The enterprise is vulnerable. They've failed at search advertising. They will fail with their cloud platform. Silverlight is already being dumped. XAML will die. Most devices are failures. WinMob's future is uncertain.The only bright spot is Mail and Exchange, and (whoopdifrickindoo) MySpace, the only social networking platform built on IIS-ASP, the red-headed stepchild bastard orphan of the internet (whoopdifrickindoo), oh, and a few brilliant open source things such as XBMC (Windows only worth is as a device driver for a cross-platform software ).<br><br>Of course, like a majestic mightly tree, long dead before the evidence of it shows up at its grow points, Microsoft could topple over at some point unless it is able to successfully prosecute corrective measures. They will never beat Google in a court of law, for they themselves set the precedent for predatory auspice of the 800 Pound Gorilla - Google is the new lover on honeymoon from sanction. They have no recourse but to battle this straight up, head to head, mano y mano, winning the hearts and minds of the market.<br><br>They don't look to be off to a good start . I hope they can pull it off - It's dumb to trust Google . They make a lot of stuff I like, but they're disposable - They're just a frickin commodity afterall. They're just an interchangeable part in digital machinery, swappable with an abundance of stuff. It was inevitable, the normal trajectory. They should be able to hack it. If they can't, they'll die. That's just the arc of a diver.<br><br>If they were a Japanese company, they could win this. The ultimate cost-effective way to do business is with quality. The ultimate price point is free. They could focus on core life support platforms, make them bulletproof perfection (yeah, a daunting task for them, I know ), and give them away to establish ubiquity to eventually capture the advertising revenue nut, and perhaps stuff like vast peripheral end-to-end compliments such as hosting (everybody will eventually be hosted - hey, someone would actually be using Microsoft servers ). Maybe something like a MobileMS, since MobileMe is a great idea (especially w/SS), but lame/weak in that it is an island, doesn't talk to other platforms, no freeflow of data, but MobileMS should be free for a dumb capped version, w/subscription for an enchanced freeflow version with unlimited bandwidth and storage. Ton of stuff, but the litany is too epic and boring to continue. Multimedia, yatta ya.<br><br>Nobody will pay for software with an unstoppable potential/momentum on a continuum towards virtual free goods status. Nobody can win at that - It's futile - Software will be like water.<br><br>The medium is free - Messaging/advertising costs money. Software is a largely fixed state cost. Advertising is a variable state revenue. Advertising revenue grows disproportionately to a largely fixed cost. All other advertising (including banner ads and print, and the statistical data of their freefalling decline punctuates that) will evaporate and the only thing left at the end of the day will be physical and virtual point-of-sale / NPOS Near Point-of-Sale, and the internet is in its infancy as an NPOS/POS medium. That's where the money's at (well, also in certain subscribable aspects of the user experience mechanisms), but Microsoft will have to completely rethink their gestalt, although there is likely a pareto law in scrabbling the nickels and dimes of software to win the pot of gold.<br><br>Another problem is Ballmer - He's a frickin idiot - He's like Bush, just a glorified dumb-ass frat boy. Instead of throwing resources at stuff, Microsoft needs to slash. They're oversaturated, and are like an oversaturated field of corn with excessive variable inputs of seed, fertilizer and labor producing a stunted crop, except that it is worse - When you produce [censored] and do this, you only grow the weeds that much more when you increase the variable inputs and the laborforce must necessarily increase for mere weed control that only come back that much more hypertrophic and hyperplastic the next day.<br><br>They could do this with a quicker, higher ROI on smaller investment, redistributing and slashing their workforce to the optimal. Their only largesse should be R&D.<br><br>The most practical solution is to sell high . I'm looking forward to the mini-mansion shopping spree when leveraged debt gets upside down to stock options value .<br><br>Ed<br><br>[color:purple]Information isn't a connection - It doesn't stir people</font color=purple><br>