Ubuntu

Posted by: Leslie

Ubuntu - 07/31/08 10:03 AM

Anybody have experience with or knowledge of this os? A friend of mine told me about it yesterday and said she was going to download it so I was wondering if it is good, bad or indifferent.<br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Ubuntu - 07/31/08 10:22 AM

I used it as my one and only OS at home recently for awhile. I love it.<br><br>Beats the pants of XP, and graphically is better than OS X depending on how you want to configure it.<br><br>Being a linux distro you can do just about anything you can think of to it as far as customization. But you do need to download 3rd part nVidia or ATi drivers to fully utilize interface effects. Plus an old machine will feel like it's outperforming a brand new machine, as programs like firefox load virtually instantly.<br><br>There's a lot to linux that the typical home user won't have a clue about, but ubuntu is about as straightforward as you can get. It's almost like OS X in the way it shields you from it's linux underpinnings the way OS X hides you from UNIX if you want.<br><br>I haven't installed the 64 bit version yet, I plan to do that soon. 64 bit Vista works so well for me on the PC side I haven't felt the need. Also I can't speak for any PowerPC versions, just the x86 builds.<br><br>But the good thing is you can download it and run directly off the CD.<br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!
Posted by: Leslie

Re: Ubuntu - 07/31/08 10:50 AM

Thank you, that's what I wanted to know.<br><br>