One of those experiences

Posted by: yoyo52

One of those experiences - 07/29/08 09:09 AM

Week before last my wife and I went to visit some friends who live just outside State College, PA. The location isn't important, but the fact that for the first time ever in our lives we decided that we could leave our son alone in the house is the key to the story. Now my son is 19, has been away at college for a year, is 19, on the whole does what he ought to do, is 19.<br><br>So off we went. The first night, or rather morning, that we were gone, we got a phone call. At 3:30 a. m. From my son. He is 19.<br><br>Apparently the toilet was clogged. But that wasn't all. He had come home from work around 9 that evening, flushed, and then gone out, returning as he usually does, around 3:30 a. m. That's why he called at 3:30.<br><br>But the toilet had been overflowing since 9 or so.<br><br>So he was a little desperate: What do I do?<br><br>Fortunately, it was my wife who answered the phone. I think I know what I would have said in response to that question. She, on the other hand, told him where the shut off valve is, then suggested that he shut down the water flow. Then she suggested she mop up the water on the bathroom floor--use all the towels you can find, she said. Then of course stick 'em in the laundry to wash.<br><br>So he did as he was told. The next morning (this was Saturday), he called our plumber, a lovely man who came as if it were an emergency, and unclogged the toilet. For $110.<br><br>We stayed away for a couple more days. When we came back, this is what we found.<br><br>First, the ceiling of the dining room, which is more or less directly under the bathroom, was ruined. It'll cost some $700 to repair that.<br><br>The dining room rug was soaked. Taking it to the cleaners for TLC costs $150.<br><br>I went down to the laundry to wash our vacation clothes. Everything was fine . . . until the spin cycle, when nothing happened. I figured the clutch was broken again. But no, it was the transmission. Why? Well, my son (he's 19) had done as we told him: he washed the towels. All of them. At the same time. Repairing the washer? $295.<br><br>Cost for the four days we were gone (not including gasoline, treating our friends, etc.)? ca. $1,255<br><br>Being able to recount this a week and a half later? Priceless.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: One of those experiences - 07/29/08 09:26 AM

I hope he now knows to double check things before he leaves the house.<br><br>
Posted by: MrB

Re: One of those experiences - 07/29/08 10:22 AM

I bet he is ravaged with remorse. Poor guy.<br><br>I knew, as I was reading it, what was going to happen with the washer. Could see it coming. <br><br>Funny how people sometimes take what we say precisely. <br><br>in the end, looks like he might need some help in using a plunger also.<br><br>but doesn't this whole thing reminde one of the cartoon "Zits"<br><br>dave<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: soulotomy

Re: One of those experiences - 07/29/08 05:14 PM

[censored] awesome woods' to get red/420/wasted/medsin, but can't read some signs (that were not designed by a pictographic designer, but by a prison convict ), then can't communicate with some contractor tradesmen (who haven't yet donned their mopp gear) because they can't talk or comprehend the standard national commons language, and so they go into the woods where they're gassed by gypsy moth spray. Etc. Etc.<br><br>There's also narrative illustrations of musicians adept with the recording process, that know musical theories, can actually read manuals on technique, recording process, etc. Entrepeneur. Doctor. Lawyer. Scientist. Artist. Game Character Modeler/Rigger/etc. Fireman. Bus Driver. Mechanic. Retail Manager. Etc. Etc.<br><br>Not inferring that your son is like this. Not at all, but this is a good excuse to introduce this thing . That's pretty normal for a 19YO to be pretty clueless and nonadept at Life 101. They clue in - They have no choice. Physics, organic dynamics, reality, whatever - It always wins - Flourish or perish.<br><br>Sorry it was such an expensive lesson.<br><br>Ed<br><br>[color:purple]Information isn't a connection - It doesn't stir people</font color=purple><br>

Re: One of those experiences - 07/29/08 06:48 PM

Yeah, I see it as a life lesson. I hope the learning curve is pretty sharp.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: Clark

Re: One of those experiences - 07/29/08 08:31 PM

That is a painful story. My condolences.<br><br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: One of those experiences - 07/30/08 05:55 AM

19, right?<br><br>- alec -

Re: One of those experiences - 07/30/08 07:20 AM

Didn't I mention he's 19?<br><br><br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>

Re: One of those experiences - 07/30/08 09:19 AM

... just went back and checked - yup!<br><br>By the way, were we smarter at 19? I'm not sure I was. Heck, I was already married! <br><br>- alec -

Re: One of those experiences - 07/30/08 12:31 PM

I was in the Air Force in Viet Nam.<br><br>

Re: One of those experiences - 07/30/08 12:54 PM

Hey, a good friend of mine, Don Helpa, was in the AF in Nam back in the olden days of yore. Wonder if you knew each other<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: FSM

Re: One of those experiences - 07/30/08 01:14 PM

that's why i will be putting my kids up for adoption when they're 17. <br><br>--<br>[color:red] Kansas Jayhawks -- 2008 National Champions </font color=red>

Re: One of those experiences - 07/30/08 01:15 PM

I don't recall the name. I was stationed at Tan Son Nhut Air Base just outside Saigon.<br><br>

Re: One of those experiences - 07/30/08 01:22 PM

Why suffer through 4 or 5 years of adolescence? Farm them out when they are between 12 and 13. <br><br>
Posted by: DLC

Re: One of those experiences - 07/30/08 04:03 PM

"By the way, were we smarter at 19? I'm not sure I was. Heck, I was already married! "<br><br>you just solidified your case !! <br><br>what are you talking about - we were all geniuses by 19 !!<br>{rolling eyes}<br><br>David (OFI)

Re: One of those experiences - 07/30/08 04:51 PM

"Why suffer through 4 or 5 years of adolescence? Farm them out when they are between 12 and 13."<br><br>Yeah... I hear Nike is hiring. <br><br>- alec -
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: One of those experiences - 07/30/08 05:30 PM

OMG. <br><br><br><br>

Re: One of those experiences - 07/30/08 05:47 PM

PS: Our son is 20 and also going to college. We bought him a very nice used car. It's a black Chevy Impala (real sporty, with a spoiler, leather bucket seats, sun/moon roof, etc.) that had 17,000 miles on it when we bought it. We're footing the car payments and insurance costs. <br><br>The deal was that he takes care of all the repairs and maintenance on the car, since he's working a part-time job. <br><br>Recently, we went for a ride with him and the brakes sounded horrible, so I told him to take it in to have them checked out. "My friends have been telling me the same thing!" he said. <br><br>So, he took it in and, not only did it need new brake pads, but two of the rotors were shot because he had been driving it for so long that way. It also needs two new tires and something else, but that has to wait a bit.<br><br>Turns out he didn't have enough in his bank account to pay for the repairs. (He had recently purchased a set of electric drums and an electric guitar, you see. Oh, and there was the X-box...) <br><br>I had to pay nearly $1,000 to get his brakes repaired. <br><br>20 isn't much better than 19, I suppose... <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: One of those experiences - 07/30/08 06:30 PM

20 - mine at 32 is still at home , kids are a life time sentence , marriage theres a way out legally but thats okay Jaz gives me money for no reason sometimes.<br><br>

Re: One of those experiences - 07/30/08 07:53 PM

We did the same thing with a car, but so far (knock on wood) that's been ok.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: carp

Re: One of those experiences - 07/30/08 08:50 PM

Just make sure you pop the question - when was your last oil change ? if you get a "huh" then ya better be worried.<br><br>IMO<br>Kids when it comes to any maintenance be it vehicle or other - its the very last thing on their minds. Hot chics or hot dudes are first , 2nd is money , 3rd is food , 4th is hygiene , 5th is school . Everything else is laid waste , until it hits them in the face <br><br>
Posted by: bird

Re: One of those experiences - 07/30/08 10:11 PM

Your son will be paying you not to tell that story to his kids when your a grandpa <br>You and your wife both earned your unconditional love badges on that "when we left our 19 year old home alone " episode. I kept thinking as I read can it get any worse.....and it did <br>Thanks for sharing......priceless doesn't even cover it <br><br>
Posted by: WMB

Re: One of those experiences - 07/31/08 09:47 AM

>Being able to recount this a week and a half later? Priceless.<br><br>got that right! you're generous to share it here.<br>as i read your post and others i'm shocked that so many are old enough to have "adult" children. you all seem so young!<br><br>

Re: One of those experiences - 07/31/08 04:38 PM

Give it time, give it time... <br><br>I'm looking on the bright side. At least it keeps him from driving my Camaro, which is one of four deadliest cars on the road. <br><br>"The four "deadliest" cars of all time: Blame the cars or the drivers?<br>By Insure.com<br>While high-performance cars might have higher accident death rates than other vehicles, automakers, car enthusiasts and consumer groups all agree itís wrong to lay the blame solely on the cars themselves. <br><br>"People drive the Corvette differently than they would drive a Volvo and it tends to be a different type of driver," says Daniel Pund, of Car and Driver magazine. "There's nothing inherently unsafe about the Corvette."<br><br>While he concedes the Corvette produces a lot of power, and the rear-wheel drive of the 'Vette is less common among cars today, Pund insists sports cars aren't to blame for their high accident death rates.<br><br>"The Firebirds and Camaros have done very well in crash tests," says Pund. "Combined with high death rates, what that statistic tells you is how people handle those cars."<br><br>David Champion, director of the Automotive Testing Division at Consumers Union, agrees. "The person behind the wheel has a lot to do with the death rates," says Champion. Young males, propelled by their testosterone, are the ones most likely to die in a car crash, says Champion.<br><br>"Drivers need to rein in their enthusiasm and drive within the level of their experience."<br>"Look at sports cars as opposed to minivans. Minivans tend to be driven by some of the safest drivers out there," says Champion. "Minivan drivers tend not to speed, they tend not to drive at night after drinking heavily, and the death rates are much lower than sports cars."<br><br>"Enzo Ferrari once said that a Ferrari owner is not necessarily a Ferrari driver, and the same is true for Corvettes," says Pund. "The drivers have the ultimate responsibility."<br><br>Ford, which builds the Mustang, is reluctant to put so much of the blame on drivers. "We would never want to blame the victim for being involved in a fatal crash," says Sara Tatchio, a safety communications manager at Ford. Tatchio does concede sports cars handle very differently from sedans.<br><br>According to Pund, it all comes down to restraint and training.<br><br>"Drivers need to rein in their enthusiasm and drive within the level of their experience," says Pund. "They also need to choose the places for gratuitous displays of power, or simply choose not to do it."<br><br>High-performance car-driving schools can teach drivers the tricks to handling a sports car and can help drivers avoid the kinds of spectacular accidents and fatal crashes to which sports car drivers can be prone, says Pund.<br><br>"Any sports car is relatively safe if driven safely," says Champion." <br><br>