an awareness test

Posted by: garyW

an awareness test - 05/03/08 01:21 PM

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ahg6qcgoay4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ahg6qcgoay4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object><br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: an awareness test - 05/03/08 01:26 PM

I wasn't looking for a moonwalking bear. Not fair. <br><br>

Re: an awareness test - 05/03/08 01:26 PM

I wasn't looking for a moonwalking bear. Not fair. <br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: an awareness test - 05/03/08 01:51 PM

I saw the bear but did not even bother to count the passes <br><br>

Re: an awareness test - 05/03/08 03:01 PM

that's a thread killer if ever I saw one <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Phosphor

Re: an awareness test - 05/03/08 03:41 PM

Cyclists and pedestrians, I know to look for, and so I do.<br><br>Not really a fair test, since the moonwalking bear is completely incongruent to the set-up and context.<br><br>But's a pretty well-done reminder to oblivious drivers.<br><br>"This is not here."
Posted by: Mike

Re: an awareness test - 05/03/08 03:49 PM

A bear?<br>Oh, you mean the guy in the bear suit? <br><br>[color:blue][/b]Hodie mihi. Cras tibi.</font color=blue>[/b]
Posted by: pops

Re: an awareness test - 05/03/08 04:07 PM

Saw the moon-walking bear, but saw only 10 passes by white team; other 3 were off-camera.<br><br>
Posted by: soulotomy

Re: an awareness test - 05/03/08 05:34 PM

Got a new goal. Want to moon walk a longboard.<br><br>But first I have to be able to moon walk .<br><br>If you beat me to it, post some pics or vid.<br><br>Ed<br><br>[color:purple]Information isn't a connection - It doesn't stir people</font color=purple>
Posted by: Phosphor

Re: an awareness test - 05/03/08 05:52 PM

I'd like to moonwalk a mass, roadside DUI state police "Walk-the-line-heel-to-toe, son!" checkpoint.<br><br>But only acting stupid, and dead-cold sober.<br><br>Just to piss them bastiges off. I'll suck down a disorderly conduct charge, just for the hell of it.<br><br>But first I have to learn to moonwalk.<br><br>"This is not here."
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: an awareness test - 05/03/08 06:17 PM

I counted 11 and was too busy watching the ball to see the "bear" the first time. Second time - saw the "bear" but didn't count the passes. <br><br>Nearly hit a bicyclist one day - he ran the red light. If I hadn't seen the motion in my peripheral vision and braked - hard - he would have been a hood ornament.<br><br>

Re: an awareness test - 05/03/08 06:39 PM

I could have run over a pedestrian, on a left turn, a while back, if I hadn't moved my head a little to check things out. She entered the crosswalk at just the right angle to remain in the blindspot, obscured by one of those big aftermarket side flat mirrors on a pickup. I normally do that, so it's no big deal, but it's scary when a blindspot happens.<br><br>That might have been why a big pickem-up truck smashed my retro/new Beetle, on his left turn. He was sober and wasn't on a cellphone.<br><br>Ed<br><br>[color:purple]Information isn't a connection - It doesn't stir people</font color=purple>

Re: an awareness test - 05/03/08 06:57 PM

That sucks. I didn't know PA could be a police state.<br><br>Well, at least you don't have something like a dozen or so LA cops pumping 144 rounds into an unarmed, belligerent drunk's SUV, with such ineptitude that they merely superficially wounded the dumb clot.<br><br>Bay area cops recently unloaded 70-some rounds on an unarmed kid, but unfortunately a few hit their mark and blew the kid's head off.<br><br>It's beyond outrageous.<br><br>Just don't get shot. Police seem to be able to get away with murder, again.<br><br>Ed<br><br>[color:purple]Information isn't a connection - It doesn't stir people</font color=purple>

Re: an awareness test - 05/03/08 07:11 PM

[color:blue]Nearly hit a bicyclist one day</font color=blue> <-- well shiit,, I was standing on a crosswalk curb and a bicyclist clip me big time. So go figure <br><br>

Re: an awareness test - 05/03/08 07:28 PM

Well, the SF Bay area is a bigtime bicyclists' rights place, and for the most part, most are responsible riders, but many ride like they're on some playground or something. I've learned to be cautious at four-way stops, or else I would have run over many who just blow right on by, in braindead bicycle la-la land; and a lot of these people ignore light controls, too. I try not to be pissed with cyclists, but it's sometimes hard to not remember only the braindead jerks.<br><br>It doesn't help that recently some deputy sheriff was merely suspended for running over and killing an Olympian cyclist and critically injuring a world-class competitive cyclist (in all, he hit three). He claims falling asleep (after a mere three hours on duty) - He has a DUI history. However, this guy is gonna walk clean.<br><br>Ed<br><br>[color:purple]Information isn't a connection - It doesn't stir people</font color=purple>

Re: an awareness test - 05/03/08 07:36 PM

I suppose if you were gonna clean out some cyclist its better if they were some Olympian class types,, otherwise the Joe Smoe cyclist just don't give you the media recognition that you deserve <br><br>
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: an awareness test - 05/03/08 07:43 PM

Hehe, that was nice <br><br>[color:blue]flick</font color=blue>[color:red]r</font color=red>
Posted by: Lea

Re: an awareness test - 05/03/08 07:50 PM

Sounds like your cops are all related to our cops here in Houston. Only difference seems to be that our cops are better shots. Not that that's good. And our cops tend to shoot the mentally ill, the probably innocent and the typically unarmed. They even do it off duty. <br><br>I love my city, but the only thing good I can say about HPD is ~ at least they're not New Orleans cops. <br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:white]xx</font color=white>[color:blue]I always deserve it. Really.</font color=blue><br><br>
Posted by: Celandine

Re: an awareness test - 05/03/08 08:01 PM

Ask BiggerFoot<br>how many times he's stood over bikers<br>waiting for the ambulance to arrive<br>and heard the driver blurt-out;<br><br>"I DIDN'T EVEN SEE HIM!" <br><br><br>The deadliest part of riding a motorcycle is inattentive drivers <br>who either glance at an oncoming motorcycle that registers on the brain as <br>a bicycle, and subsequently underestimate their speed while turning in front of them...<br><br>... or don't even see them at all.<br><br><br>[color:green]"...or am I a butterfly that's dreaming she's a woman?"</font color=green> [color:green]. . . _ _ _ . . .</font color=green><br>

Re: an awareness test - 05/03/08 08:25 PM

[color:blue]at least they're not New Orleans cops.</font color=blue> - Ouch <br><br>
Posted by: FSM

Re: an awareness test - 05/03/08 08:54 PM

i didn't see the bear the first time, but i did count 13. <br><br>and, this isn't really a predictor of how a person drives (as i saw that mentioned). i never focus on my driving like i did on trying to beat the awareness test and count every pass perfectly. when i drive, i take in the road and my peripheral vision, etc. -- completely different than this.<br><br><br>--<br>[color:red] Kansas Jayhawks -- 2008 National Champions </font color=red>

Re: an awareness test - 05/03/08 11:02 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>i didn't see the bear the first time, but i did count 13.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I proud of you Sean for not reading "I wasn't looking for a moonwalking bear" twice before viewing the clip. <br><br><br><br>

Re: an awareness test - 05/03/08 11:10 PM

Good grief Gary. You posted something and I responded to it. Sorry if it went up your arse sideways. <br><br>Edit: I certainly didn't intentionally try to ruin anything for you. I also don't know how the double post happened because I only clicked once. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dreed2 on 05/04/08 02:12 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Moonwalking Bear - 05/03/08 11:19 PM

I forgive you and the moonwalking bear in posts 2 & 3. Nobody will notice and be looking for a moonwalking bear. <br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: an awareness test - 05/03/08 11:25 PM

I forgive you and the moonwalking bear in posts 2 & 3. Nobody will notice and be looking for a moonwalking bear. <br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Moonwalking Bear - 05/03/08 11:28 PM

I really am sorry for spoiling it. Thanks for forgiving me and the moonwalking bear. All of them. <br><br>
Posted by: MrB

Re: an awareness test - 05/04/08 12:57 AM

Doeson't help that the bear was dark and we were looking for light clothing. A better more accurate test would be to ask us to count the number of players in all then we would be looking at all of them.<br><br>If they want us to watch out for bikers, and they do, then the bikers need to be visible. <br><br>dave<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: FSM

Re: an awareness test - 05/04/08 10:03 AM

honestly, i didn't read anything beyond the youtube clip before watching it so it wasn't ruined for me.<br><br><br>--<br>[color:red] Kansas Jayhawks -- 2008 National Champions </font color=red>
Posted by: Celandine

Re: an awareness test - 05/04/08 11:05 AM

yeah, me neither<br>and I never saw the damned bear<br>until I watched the clip for the second time<br>that's why I reckoned the test was so illustrative.<br><br><br>[color:green]"...or am I a butterfly that's dreaming she's a woman?"</font color=green> [color:green]. . . _ _ _ . . .</font color=green><br>
Posted by: Shooshie

Re: an awareness test - 05/05/08 03:40 AM

I'm not so sure that it's a valid "test." I saw the moonwalking bear, but didn't pay attention to his headgear or his moonwalk. The valid comparison would be "did you notice that the bicyclist was wearing Calvin Klein jacket and a Trek helmet, and was pedaling backward as he passed?" In fact, I cursed the "moonwalking bear" because he made it hard to see the shots. So while they are to be commended for bike awareness, their methods are a little... er... questionable. <br><br>Shooshie<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:green]Pictures and things</font color=green>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Moonwalking Bear - 06/26/08 02:48 PM

I read Donna's post and then clicked. I counted 12 passes and did not see the moonwalking bear even though I was scratching my head on that one, "moonwalking bear?"<br><br>All I can say is the bear was pretty poor at moonwalking. His name would have been "Hood Ornament" if I was driving and trying to count passes.<br><br>