While you're waiting for leopard...

Posted by: G4Dualie

While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/16/07 11:08 PM

Check out the 300+ new features awaiting us. Is there any particular feature you think stands out from the rest?<br><br>It would seem Apple has really boosted the iChat capabilities. This is one feature that I'm looking forward to and plan to take full advantage of it with friends and family. <br><br>I hope we are able to create our own custom backdrops... like a shower stall or maybe a garden or a nasa-type setting or a bar. Video playing in a backdrop would be awesome.<br><br><br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)
Posted by: trey

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/16/07 11:31 PM

Cool page! I know this seems rather lame compared to all the other new features, but I think Path Finder sounds cool:<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Path Bar<br><br>See the path of a file when you view it in the Finder. Just choose Show Path Bar from the View menu and the path is visible at the bottom of the Finder window. You can also drag files to any location in the Path Bar.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I'd love this feature at work so I could more easily see just where in the server I am.<br><br>
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/17/07 04:24 AM

Are you ok with the current Finder path?<br><br><br><br><br>---<br>http://stock.fo2oz.com
Posted by: FSM

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/17/07 05:49 AM

well, i think this will be nice, but i'd like to be able to control the mouse on the other machine if the other use gave me permission.<br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Screen Sharing<br><br>Collaborate with a buddy via iChat. Work on a Keynote presentation together, surf the web as a team, or help each other with an iMovie project. iChat initiates the connection (asking permission first) with an audio chat so you can talk things through as you work or play. Trade views of each otherís desktops. Even drag files from one computer to the other.<p><hr></blockquote><p>i guess i've stick with Vine and covnc.<br><br>so i guess the most exciting one is the one that might get me using iChat again (since i have a messy office):<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Backdrop effects<br><br>Drag an Apple-designed backdrop or your own photo or video into the video preview window to create an effect that will fool your buddies into thinking youíre chatting from your living room, the beach, or the moon.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Cover Flow<br><br>Flip through your files in the Finder just like you flip through your album art in iTunes. Cover Flow displays the first page of every document. You can also click through multipage documents and play movies.<p><hr></blockquote><p>cover flow will be nice for when i didn't title things well.<br><br>but one of the key features for me is one that will help me not forget important emails:<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>To-Dos To Dos in Mail<br><br>Create to-do items directly from email messages or notes in Mail. Simply highlight text in an email, then click the To Do button to create a to-do from a message.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>and yes, i could have done this myself . . . and did. but when my ToDo app wasn't open i'd often just try and remember.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/17/07 06:13 AM

As I mentioned in the other Leopard thread, I'm anxious to see Font Book's new Auto-Activation scheme. If it works in the Adobe applications, it could finally put Apple's Font Book on the map of serious font management applications.<br><br>The new Finder is going to be a mixed bag. I don't like the new sidebar. I like the idea of cover flow in the finder, but I suspect that it isn't going to work with a LOT of document formats (the ones that would be most handy to have it work with, such as InDesign, Quark, etc...)<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/17/07 06:43 AM

Command-Click on the Finder window's title will get you that too. I have a mouse button assigned that key combo.<br><br>

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/17/07 06:52 AM

Yeah, I use that all the time. I'd like to be able to copy the path as text though. The ability to drop files into the path string would be cool as well.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/17/07 08:47 AM

Have you tried PathFinder? It's really a cool Finder replacement. Yes, you can fully replace Apple's Finder (it won't even launch) with PathFinder. It offers the path tools you're talking about, plus a lot more. I'm pretty sure they have a demo, you should check it out. I used it for a long time at the office, but had to give it up at the I.T. Dept.'s request last year (no more "obvious" add-ons allowed).<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.
Posted by: Pete

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/17/07 09:05 AM

>> i guess i've stick with Vine and covnc. >><br><br>So those are working out well then?<br><br><br><br>[color:purple]Work With ____! </font color=purple>
Posted by: Phosphor

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/17/07 09:18 AM

I need to look at PathFinder again. I had the demo, but ditched it because I didn't have the time to really dig in and get a good handle on it. What I remember of it I really liked.<br><br>As for the new Preview feature (what's it called again? "Look Ma?")...yeah. It'd be like 10 birthdays all packed into one if somehow it was able to generate previews of old Illustrator files and what not. If it does, I'll be floored.<br><br>

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/17/07 09:26 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>i guess i've stick with Vine and covnc.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I don't understand what you're using vine for. Does it help in some way? I just connect to my other machines using COTVNC.<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/17/07 09:32 AM

He's using Vine as the VNC server and COTVNC as the client.<br><br>I've used both Vine and OSX's built-in VNC server (with COTVNC) and both are unusable for me. The screen refresh rate is about 1 per minute. I wish I knew why. <br><br>

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/17/07 09:51 AM

So, is Vine faster or something?<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>The screen refresh rate is about 1 per minute. I wish I knew why.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Is that over the internet, or just your local network?<br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/17/07 10:10 AM

Let me start with the bad news - what I ...ow being drawn.<br><br>My sentiments exactly! That bit of foolishness with the dock is practically a deal breaker for me. If they wanted to improve the dock, all they needed to do was build-in the ability to remove the background so that a 3rd party app wasn't needed to do it. <br><br>If I felt the need to have reflections on my DT, I could simply put a bright light behind me and have real ones instead of that pretend crap. <br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/17/07 10:34 AM

Or...you could hide it like I do.<br><br>

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/17/07 10:34 AM

i set it up using Vine because Pete suggested it. i tested it in my house and the refresh rate was fast. the computer is still in transit to my dad, so i haven't been able to fully test it yet. i have a text file on his desktop that says CALL SEAN as the title. once on the phone i'll have him open it and it directs him to get online and get his IP address. i made it practically fail proof. i have no doubt my dad will test the limits even at that. <br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/17/07 10:45 AM

Do you have visions of him sitting in front of the new computer, screaming your name into the little iSight lens on top of the LCD?<br><br>"Sean? SEAN!!! Can you hear me?!! <br><br>Blast, this new computer sucks!"<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:purple]Work With ____! </font color=purple>

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/17/07 10:53 AM

heh, i couldn't find my spare iSight. i told him i'd send it when i found it. sometimes being a slob is disadvantageous . . . but only sometimes. in fact, i'd probably know where it was if i thought i was ever going to use it again, but i didn't think i would.<br><br>i also found out that apple is giving a free upgrade to leopard to everyone who bought a new machine in october. so my dad qualifies. all i need is his serial number. this is going to be a big challenge . . . perhaps harder than talking him through the leopard install over the phone. <br><br>

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/17/07 11:23 AM

<OL><B>"Do you have visions of him sitting in front of the new computer, screaming your name into the little iSight lens on top of the LCD?<br><br>"Sean? SEAN!!! Can you hear me?!!<br><br>Blast, this new computer sucks!"</B></OL>HAH! Having read FSM's story about his Dad's tribulations with computers, and knowing they're equal to my Mom's, I actually laughed-out-friggin'-loud at that!<br><br><br><br>

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/17/07 02:33 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>i also found out that apple is giving a free upgrade to leopard to everyone who bought a new machine in october.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Does it say that on their site anywhere? A friend of mine just bought a new iMac, and I'm sure he'd love to get leopard for free.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>ll i need is his serial number. this is going to be a big challenge . . . perhaps harder than talking him through the leopard install over the phone.<p><hr></blockquote><p>It's pretty easy if he just clicks the "About This Mac" item under the Apple menu.<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/17/07 02:54 PM

Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard and its 300-plus new features and innovations are coming Oct. 26, 2007.<br><br>If you buy a qualifying Mac between October 1, 2007 and December 29, 2007, and it does not include Mac OS X Leopard, youíre eligible to get Leopard after itís released for just $9.95 plus tax.<br><br>How to get Leopard<br>Click here for more information.<br><br><br>http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/17/07 03:32 PM

oh, so you're assuming he can turn it on? <br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/18/07 08:47 PM

Cool, thanks!<br><br>

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/24/07 10:20 PM

let it be a deal breaker no more, my good buddy.<br><br><a href="http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2007101815375480">click and be enlightened</a><br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/24/07 11:20 PM

Thanks. I copied that for possible future reference.<br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br>

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/25/07 05:09 PM

Comprehensive ComputerWorld article:<br>http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=printArticleBasic&articleId=9043838<br><br>
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/25/07 05:54 PM

If you are really bored while waiting<br><br>_______<br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/25/07 06:01 PM

That is significantly bad, BF.<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/25/07 06:05 PM

It was so bad, I knew I needed to share it!<br><br>_______<br>
Posted by: lanovami

Re: While you're waiting for leopard... - 10/25/07 06:12 PM

Anybody make it to the end? I think I almost did. You know it is Friday here. I don't know if people can get it in Japan or not today. If they can, I am sure there are some excited people. I am sure Japan must have the second biggest Apple fan base after the US.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle