??? for the HDTV Junkies...

Posted by: DavidDraiman

??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/10/07 07:40 AM

if you could get the $499 Harmony 1000 Remote for $236 would you?<br><br>I'd love it, but i keep thinking "It's still JUST A REMOTE."<br><br>why would anybody spend that much money on a remote?<br><br>but it would last me years and years and years. (hopefully)<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: ??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/10/07 08:07 AM

Nice looking remote but a bit expensive.<br><br>If you do get one (and it sounds like you are), please let us know what you think of it.<br><br>my beer blog
Posted by: RubenC

Re: ??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/10/07 08:32 AM

Looks real nice!<br>Unless you have a complex system, I see no reason to get one. On the other hand if you have $236 burning your pocket, then hey, go for it!<br><br>

Re: ??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/10/07 08:37 AM

Right now I have 3 remotes: TV, Tivo, and DVD player. Once I get my set up downstairs all complete, figure one for the stereo and an AppleTV remote. Consolidating all those would be nice. But not at that price.<br><br>The univeral remotes that I have seen in the lower price ranges all suck. <br><br>my beer blog
Posted by: Lea

Re: ??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/10/07 08:42 AM

A guy bought a beautiful new sports car, and then began to worry that he'd paid too much.<br><br>His best friend asked, "Are you really happy with the car?'<br><br>The guy answered "Oh, yes! I love it!"<br><br>His friend said, "Then you didn't pay too much."<br><br><br>There's a lot of truth in that exchange. It always works for me. <br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:blue]Just push play ~ They're gonna bleep it anyway ~ </font color=blue><br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: ??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/10/07 08:44 AM

For $236 dollars it better give you oral gratification too ;)<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!®

Re: ??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/10/07 08:45 AM

I agree, the universal remotes available right now are pathetic.<br>That remote look pretty interesting to me right now. Part of my home remodel involves revamping our sound system. Our installer seems pretty knowledgeable, he's installed systems recently for the likes of Barbera Sreisand, and Ryan Seacrest, and he mentioned a universal remote for our system. I'll mention this remote to him and see what's his take on it.<br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: ??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/10/07 08:54 AM

My buddy has a Logitech 880 and loves it - can control it with one hand too, which IMO is important. The 'two-handed' touch-screen models are super neat when you first get them home, but ultimately when you're flat on your back on the couch, you really don't want to have to reach over with the other hand just to get a grip on the remote and change a channel...<br><br>

Re: ??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/10/07 09:38 AM

I'm putting a surround sound system in the basement. I would ask what brand you are getting but seeing the other names there....we aren't in the same league! <br><br>my beer blog

Re: ??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/10/07 09:39 AM

ok...we really don't want to know what you are doing with your other hand! TMI! <br><br>my beer blog
Posted by: Pete

Re: ??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/10/07 09:53 AM

You didn't want to know that it's resting behind my head or holding a drink? <br><br>Weirdo. <br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: ??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/10/07 09:54 AM

I don't have THAT particular remote, but I have one with the touchscreen that controls all my devices. I hate it.<br><br>1. The batteries run out quick. The more you play with it, the faster they burn out.<br><br>2. In order to use them, you have to "switch them on" first. So for instance, if you want to change channels, you must first touch a specific area of the screen (some you can touch anywhere), then touch the channel change button. Then the remote goes back into "sleep mode" and the process starts over.<br><br>3. Try finding the specific "wake from sleep/on button" in the dark when you're watching a movie.<br><br>4. If you want to adjust the volume on your surround sound, then change channels on the TV, you have to first hit the surround sound button, then adjust the volume, then hit the cable button and then the channel change button... a lot of work.<br><br>5. There's no "touch sensitivity" to it. With a regular remote, you just "feel" where the volume, channel keys, etc. are... you don't have to look for them. With these touch screen remotes you actually have to look at them.<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.

Re: ??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/10/07 09:56 AM

<br><br><br><br>my beer blog

Re: ??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/10/07 10:00 AM

Good points but this remote he linked to has actual buttons for volume and channel. Otherwise, you do make some good comments there.<br><br><br><br>my beer blog

Re: ??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/10/07 10:07 AM

I'm not in that league either, the installer works for a company that services the big celebs, the installer however is starting his own side business so his prices are competitive for use regular folk.<br><br>The system I'm getting is based around the Integra DTR 7.7 which is a higher end model from the Onkyo line.<br><br>

Re: ??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/10/07 10:10 AM

integra eh? Never heard of them though I have heard of Onkyo.<br><br>I don't need anything fancy, but I would like to be able to hook up my iPod to it.<br><br>my beer blog

Re: ??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/10/07 10:15 AM

Here's a good writ-up onit:<br>http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/integra-cedia-897.shtml<br><br>

Re: ??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/10/07 10:19 AM

Nice. A bit pricier than I thought. Perhaps one day....<br><br>my beer blog
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: ??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/10/07 11:03 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>For $236 dollars it better give you oral gratification too ;)<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Wonder how that works remotely. <br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: ??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/10/07 02:20 PM

Harmony remotes generally have good reviews. That particular model comes with a charging stand, so battery life is almost a non-issue. Of the 3 folks I know using Harmony remotes, none has a complaint.<br><br>- alec -

Re: ??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/10/07 02:56 PM

i'll keep looking at reviews before i decide. thanks for the input so far.<br><br>

Re: ??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/12/07 09:18 AM

There is a review of this remote in our paper today. It says that it is aimed at amateurs, whatever that means!<br><br>Anyway, apparently it isn't too hard to set up, but the reviewer had spent all day doing it. You can program it to have one button do several things, for example: Touch "Watch DVD" on the screen, and the gadget flips on the tv, turns on the DVD player and even pops open the drive bay. Pretty cool!<br><br>And apparently you can get a wireless extender for those devices hidden in cabinets or wherever.<br><br>So where can you get it at this discount price?<br><br>my beer blog
Posted by: MrB

Re: ??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/12/07 01:28 PM

I have five remotes for the different units. Most over lap and control some of the features of other units but not all. That is one of the problems I think. If I were to get a universal remote I would have to be absolutely sure that it would control every feature of all my units. <br><br>none of my remotes control more than a few of the settings of my Sammy HDTV. The Cable remote does the most as with it I can control the on and off of the TV, Stereo, and DVD and can control the volume of the Stereo. So that is what is foremost for my use. <br><br>Still the Cable remote won't change the DSP settings of my stereo. My Sammy TV remote, will turn on the DVD, and the Stereo but that is all. Even if I press the Audio button on it's remote it won't let me adjust the volume. I still will only adjust the volume of the TV. This seems silly. as if I have a Stereo why would I want to adjust the volume of the TV. Altho, some do I guess.<br><br>So now I have 4 remotes laying on the table by my Lazy boy. And I use them all occasionally.<br><br>dave<br><br>

Re: ??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/12/07 03:27 PM

my friend at work, works @ best buy<br><br>

Re: ??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/12/07 04:27 PM

So did you get it?<br><br>my beer blog

Re: ??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/12/07 06:51 PM

No, not yet, still thionking about it. My plan was to get the Bose 3-2-1 surround system. then connect it to my Sharp Aquos 26" LCD HDTV & my Samsung upconverting DVD Player.<br><br>I was just looking at the Bose and i see that there's no HDMI input. I don't know now if i want to spend the money on something i don't know how "future-proof" it's going to be.<br><br>this is only going into my 10x12 bedroom, so i don't need something too loud, i like the idea of only 2 speakers & "virtual" surround.<br><br>but now i'm thinking if i'm going to spend upwards of $800 on surround, i must be able to get something better than the Bose 3-2-1.<br><br>but is it going to be worth the trouble of setting up 5 speakers, wires, screwing brackets into walls, etc...???<br><br>ughhh, dilemmas, dilemmas.<br><br>i love my tv and my dvd player. i just want good sound now. and a remote that controls everything.<br><br>like someone else was saying here, my cable remote does mostly everything right now, but i want to be able to type in numbers and have my cable change, hit vol. up/down and have the (soon to be) receiver/surround turn up/down, not the tv. and without having to hit the [CAB] [TV] [AUX] button on the remote.<br><br>i'm now going to see what else is in the ~$750 range for surround that will work the best in my bedroom.<br><br>i don't want a home-theater-in-a-box, because those come with a dvd player. i Have a dvd player, i don't need one.<br><br>i might just end up getting the Kameleon 8 remote unless i can find a good deal on cheap & nice receiver/speaker package where i won't mind spending the extra $ on the Harmony 1000.<br><br>

Re: ??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/12/07 07:05 PM

This is a receiver I have been looking at:<br><br><br><br>Details:<br> » 90 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD<br> » Dolby® True HD, DTS-HD™ Master Audio, Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD™ High Resolution Audio, Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES®, Pro Logic® IIx, and DTS Neo:6 decoding<br> » XM Satellite Radio Ready (requires XM subscription and optional XM Mini-Tuner package)<br> » Neural Surround decoder for XM's HD Surround channels<br> » SIRIUS satellite radio capable (requires SIRIUS subscription and optional SiriusConnect™ home tuner kit)<br> » iPod integration (requires optional Onkyo DS-A2x iPod dock)<br> » Audyssey 2EQ auto speaker setup (microphone included)<br> » dual-room/dual-source audio<br> » RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI) control via HDMI with compatible components<br> » back surround speaker channels re-assignable for bi-amping front left and right speakers<br> » high-current amplifier design<br> » 192kHz/24-bit DACs for all channels<br> » 40 AM/FM/XM/SIRIUS presets<br> » aluminum front panel<br> » multibrand remote<br> » sleep timer<br> » 17-1/8"W x 6-7/8"H x 15-1/16"D<br> » warranty: 2 years<br> » Want more peace of mind? Extended Service Plans Available<br><br>Connections:<br> » 1080p-compatible HDMI digital video switching (2 in, 1 out)<br> » HDMI version 1.3a<br> » analog-to-HDMI video conversion<br> » component video switching: 3 in, 1 out<br> » component video conversion<br> » digital inputs: 3 optical (including 1 front panel), 2 coaxial<br> » 5 audio/video inputs, including:<br> • 1 front-panel input with composite and S-video<br> • 4 rear-panel inputs with composite and S-video<br> » 2 audio-only inputs<br> » no phono input<br> » 7.1-channel analog audio preamp input<br> » 1 pair of main speaker outputs<br><br><br><br>Get some good speakers like Polk's and you will be set!<br><br>my beer blog

Re: ??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/13/07 07:43 AM

that looks really nice. do you know the model number?<br><br>

Re: ??? for the HDTV Junkies... - 08/13/07 08:15 AM

Sorry! Totally forgot to put that on. It's $499 btw.<br><br>TX-SR605 is the model #. Crutchfield.com is where I found it.<br><br>my beer blog