Safari 3.0 is here and

Posted by: G4Dualie

Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/11/07 12:25 PM

Is pretty cool. I like the new managed tabs features. Too bad they didn't add a keyboard command to turn a tab into its own window.<br><br>The buttons on MacMinute look a little different using S3. They look like 3D beveled boxes. <br><br>So far so good though...<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)
Posted by: Pete

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/11/07 12:42 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>. Drag and drop your tabs to rearrange them, open one in a new browser window, or merge all your current windows into one tabbed window.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Nice - I've been wanting the latter for quite some time now... <br><br><br><br>

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/11/07 12:52 PM

Me too. I am also glad to see the ability to create bookmarks from multiple tabs.<br><br>Man, how about that makeover for Apple's website?<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)
Posted by: Pete

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/11/07 01:07 PM

I get confused over which browser has which feature (between Safari and FireFox), because I switch between both quite frequently - FF already had the multiple tab/bookmark feature, so I guess I can't say I'm too jazzed about that one...<br><br>Still nice to have, though - the lines between the two apps are definitely being blurred.<br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/11/07 01:17 PM

It is working better here after 10 minutes of use.<br><br>oh yeah, that's going in the blog
Posted by: trey

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/11/07 01:39 PM

I'm installing it now, but it sure does seem to be going slowly. And why the heII should I have to reboot the computer after installing a web browser? <br><br>

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/11/07 02:20 PM

I'm gonna' take a stab at it and suggest that It might be because this browser is built from the ground up to work integrally with the System and so things/frameworks were installed in the root Library folder requiring a Restart.<br><br>After using S3 for the last hour or so, it has behaved rather well and their ain't no going back.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/11/07 02:31 PM

try command F<br><br>And the adjustable text fields do rock.<br>right click and 'inspect element'<br><br>oh yeah, that's going in the blog
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/11/07 02:52 PM

I don't know why, it seemed kind of slow loading this forum.<br><br>I went to Apple's site however, and it renders the preview movie pages much better than firefox. <br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/11/07 02:56 PM

Oh yeah, that is nice. I can think of a couple of websites that are very stingy when it comes to providing you a place to construct a post.<br><br>Command-F rocks! I typed in "Leopard" on a page at MacDailyNews and it highlighted every instance of the word. I no longer have to copy and past an entire passage of text into TextEdit just to find what I'm looking for... woo hoo!<br><br>It was unbearable to comb through page after page of Google search results for an instance of my search string.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/11/07 04:08 PM

I kept hitting that command-F, cause it used to bring up a window and I didn't see the subtle field under the Bookmarks Bar. Very very neat.<br><br><br>

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/11/07 09:06 PM

If you watch the Keynote, it becomes obvious why Apple developed Safari for Windows. The reason, clearly, is the iPhone.<br><br>
Posted by: FSM

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/11/07 09:08 PM

i just downloaded it on my G5. i clicked on my tabs button and all 8 or 9 tabs opened up. 2 of the tabs worked mostly and the other 6 - 7 show blank pages. i can do a google search and the blank page shows the google search, but clicking on a link in the google list takes me to a blank page. i think i'll give up on this beta before i even start. i am happy with firefox anyway.<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/11/07 09:19 PM

Well I mentioned before<br><br>iPhone is useless to me if it cannot - sync with a PC more so with Out Look and MS Server Exchange <-- its dog meat to business people --> death nail is no peer to peer radio feature.<br><br>Don't get me wrong - I Love the iPhone.<br>But being forced/tortured too use a PC at work, the iPhone solves none of my problems. <br><br>However with this 3rd party invitation maybe Parallis ? can come up with a app to solve the sync problem - still there is the hardware problem of the point to point radio feature.<br><br>
Posted by: Topper

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/12/07 06:06 AM

"i am happy with firefox anyway"<br>Yep, they will have to do one h@ll of a job to tear me away from Firefox.<br>I'll try Safari but I'm skeptical.<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/12/07 06:52 AM

I don't notice any change in speed, and very little in the way of features. Plus it broke my Saft plug-in. Lame, I'm going back to the old version.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/12/07 01:01 PM

Please tell me the silly little "Find" feature and spelling update isn't all there is??? I see no difference at all in performance, features or reason to switch from Firefox.<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.
Posted by: zwei

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/12/07 01:26 PM

Moveable tabs ...and the ability to re-open the last tab you closed (or restore multiple tabs you just closed)<br><br>You can also resize text input boxes (like the one I typed this in) ...kinda handy every once in a while. <br><br>

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/12/07 01:46 PM

I know one thing that didn't make it...<br><br>THE OPTION TO CLOSE THAT GOD-FORSAKEN DOWNLOAD WINDOW AUTOMATICALLY!!<br><br>Every year I hope for it, and every year I'm disappointed. When will I learn that the people at Apple just happen to like having useless download windows just hanging around.<br><br>
Posted by: greenme1

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/12/07 01:53 PM

Hey, at least i can put Safari in full screen mode on a PC and imagine i'm on a mac! :P<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/12/07 03:00 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>THE OPTION TO CLOSE THAT GOD-FORSAKEN DOWNLOAD WINDOW AUTOMATICALLY!!<br><p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Watching the WWDC keynote now, the way it looks with Stacks, when you download something with Safari, it downloads directly to Stacks, no Download Window. Check it out, about 22:30 into the video.<br><br>

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/12/07 04:29 PM

I can tell you the sucky satellite internet loves it. It is much faster for me.<br><br>oh yeah, that's going in the blog

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/12/07 07:10 PM

You know, Greenme, with Parallels and Boot Camp there really isn't any reason to use a PC anymore. Return to the light!<br><br>

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/12/07 07:11 PM

Its not that I don't want a download window, I do, I like them, but I want the thing to go away when the download is over. You know, common sense.<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/12/07 07:12 PM

Apparently he has been relegated the PC in the house. At least the last time I talked to him on iChat that's what he said.<br><br>

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/12/07 07:53 PM

Gee, greenme--was this enough to get you out of WoW???<br><br>Good to see you!<br><br>
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/12/07 08:33 PM

Hey G4,<br><br>I am probably being dense, but since I start using S3, when I hit command F I get no discernable reaction at all. What am I donig wrong? In my current state, clueless, I have lost the ability to search at all.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/12/07 08:48 PM

<br><br><br><br>oh yeah, that's going in the blog
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/12/07 09:19 PM

I have no memory of seeing that field, but I will be sure to check when I get home, cuz I'm at, um, work, on, you know, Windows...<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/12/07 09:22 PM

It's a very subtle window until you start typing.<br><br>oh yeah, that's going in the blog
Posted by: greenme1

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/12/07 10:48 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>You know, Greenme, with Parallels and Boot Camp there really isn't any reason to use a PC anymore. Return to the light!<p><hr></blockquote><p>*checks wallet*<br><br>...<br><br>*sees college loans*<br><br>Mmm, maybe for xmas? ;)<br><br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Gee, greenme--was this enough to get you out of WoW???<p><hr></blockquote><p>I've moved on from wow to biking, rollerblading, and being lazy over the summer. :D<br><br>...oh yeah some photography too. <br><br>

Re: Safari 3.0 is here and - 06/13/07 07:32 AM

My son does roller blading too. He loves it. Two summers ago he began the vacation with a fracture of his left wrist and ended it with a fracture of his right wrist. He wasn't daunted, though, and kept blading away. Thank the good lord for health unsurance <br><br>Typo? Typo? I don't see no typo <br><br>