500 Years Of Women In Art

Posted by: iRock

500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/25/07 09:52 PM

I really liked this and wanted to share<br><br>500 Years of female portraits in western art.<br>Great morphing video.<br><br>oh yeah, that's going in the blog
Posted by: Celandine

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/25/07 10:28 PM

<br>INCREDIBLE! <br><br>Thanx!<br><br>[color:white].</font color=white><br>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/26/07 12:06 AM

That was nice. Thanks Shel.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)
Posted by: drjohn

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/26/07 12:49 AM

Neat! Thanks for sharing that.<br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/26/07 06:02 AM

That was very cool. I need a cheat sheet list of artists. They all look familiar but only a dozen can I think where I saw it or who the artist is. My brain can't work that fast. (At least on a Saturday morning, I'll try later.)<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/26/07 10:23 AM

Very cool thanks<br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/26/07 10:50 AM

Very cool! Thanks<br><br>
Posted by: Lea

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/26/07 11:10 AM

Whoa! Excellent!<br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:blue]Just push play ~ They're gonna bleep it anyway ~ </font color=blue><br><br>
Posted by: DLC

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/26/07 02:11 PM

VERY nice ....and amazing.<br>man that must have taken someone a long time to complete.<br><br>David (OFI)

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/27/07 01:15 PM

I think the effectiveness is lining up the eyes from one portrait to the next. It gives the illusion it is one being turning her head various directions.<br><br>oh yeah, that's going in the blog

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/28/07 08:36 PM

I created some web pages to provide the curious a means to find out who these women are and who painted their portraits. <br><br>It only took about twenty hours to research the artists and their subjects and another five or six to produce the graphics and construct the site.<br><br>I intend to keep this going and although the gentleman who created the video chose some very nice subjects, there are so many more who are as fascinating, if not more.<br><br>During my research I found some very interesting subjects and I will be adding them as time permits.<br><br>cheers.<br><br><br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/28/07 08:59 PM

Wow good job! Thanks!<br><br>oh yeah, that's going in the blog
Posted by: carp

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/28/07 09:06 PM

That site is fantastic Michael -<br><br>

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/28/07 09:09 PM

Nice job!!!<br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br>

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/28/07 09:20 PM

Very nice job. Your first unknown is Archangel, Novgorod School, Russia.<br><br>The Renoir's (or Manet) and Matisse's I'm going to nail just give me time. I'm willing to bet eight of those middle ones are in Musee de Orsay and a couple more in the Louvre and the Met in new York. A lot look so familiar but it is really hard when you only have the woman's face to go by.<br><br>I's amazing how many you got that are in private collections. Hopefully they tour and get let out every once and a while.<br><br><br><br>

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/28/07 09:28 PM

Thanks everyone...<br><br>And thank you poly for your tips. I want nothing more than to winnow down the unknowns. I can't sleep not knowing.<br><br>Yes it is a shame that so many of these portraits have gone to private collectors but it's hard to begrudge anyone who wants to own them.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/28/07 09:35 PM

<br>Got the first Matisse<br><br>http://www.harwich.edu/depts/history/pp/matisse/sld006.htm<br><br>Madras Rouge (The Red Madras Headress)in Merion , PA ?? I've seen that in d'Orsay or the Met.<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/28/07 09:50 PM

The sketch at 2:18 is La Fleur by Henri Matisse<br><br>link<br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br>

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/28/07 10:14 PM

Got 1:37 Eugene de Blaas "Portrait of a Lady"<br><br>http://www.crossstitchpatterngall.com/eugene_de_blaas.htm<br><br>total shot in the dark. doesn't say where it is.<br><br>

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/28/07 10:38 PM

Yes, thanks. 1:39 is on the Blaas page as well.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/28/07 10:40 PM

#1:50<br><br>Renoir<br>Young Woman Braiding Her Hair. 1876. Oil on canvas. The National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, USA.<br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br>

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/28/07 10:44 PM

Thanks. That's six!<br><br>000<br>137<br>139<br>150<br>212<br>218<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/28/07 10:48 PM

#1:48<br><br>Renoir<br>Portrait of the Actress Jeanne Samary. 1878. Oil on canvas. The Hermitage, St. Petersburg, Russia.<br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br>

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/28/07 10:55 PM

#143<br><br>Renoir<br>Girl Braiding Her Hair (Suzanne Valadon). 1885. Oil on canvas. Private collection.<br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br>

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/28/07 11:05 PM

Dang, I knew those three were Renoir but I couldn't find any good Renoir sites.<br><br><br><br>

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/28/07 11:08 PM

#1:54<br><br>Edouard Manet<br>La Promenade<br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br>

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/29/07 07:17 AM

Any mystery women left?<br><br>If there aren't I will add one. The artist unknown, I want to know who the model is. GPS World is a technical magazine all about GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite Systems). It is one of my side hobbies. Usually the mag is pretty dry with pictures of satellites and data of how many nanosecond drift is in the current rubidium clocks on the GPS satellites in space now. I love this stuff.<br><br>Then last month they have a cover story about the exploding GPS consumer market complete with a consumer on the cover.<br><br><br><br>Does anyone know who she is? I promise I won't stalk her if you tell me.<br><br>And to get back to the thread, quite the Mona Lisa smile, no?<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/29/07 07:25 AM

2:12--Matisse's Madame Matisse: madras rouge<br><br>2:18--Matisse's La fleur<br><br>2:20--Matisse's Portrait of Lydia Delectorskaya, the Artist's Secretary<br><br>edit: At least one of them hadn't been IDed yet . I just like Matisse a lot.<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by yoyo52 on 05/29/07 10:32 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/29/07 07:28 AM

Suzanne Valadon was my great great grand aunt. She'd been Renoir's mistress for a while, then set up her own studio. Her son is Maurice Utrillo.<br><br>

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/29/07 07:49 AM

<br><br>That's pretty cool. Not too many people can find naked pictures of their great great grand aunt on the interweb. ( I would not be so obtuse to post those )<br><br>

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/29/07 07:51 AM

Go ahead. She wasn't shy, so why should anyone else be, eh?<br><br>

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/29/07 07:55 AM

I was going to ask if he had any Renoir's and Utrillo's tucked away in a closet.<br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br>

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/29/07 07:59 AM

My father's mother's family (my grandmother's mother was a Valadon, and Suzanne was her aunt) was chagrined at the relation--so no, nothing like that, even if we hadn't had to go off on exile because of a little thing like a revolution <br><br>

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/29/07 09:06 AM

Yo YoYo, thanks for access to those larger images. <br><br>I have really come to appreciate Olga's Gallery. In fact, over time as my Google searches were being populated more and more with commercial art resources (retail), I began using Olga's gallery as my starting point for queries and chasing down leads. <br><br>It's a fantastic resource and because they assemble the paintings in a two-column table format, it makes it very easy to scan an entire collection for familiar faces.<br><br>My all-time favorite viewing resource though has to be Art Renewal International especially for people like me who aren't even in the same hemisphere as the original great works of art.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)
Posted by: RubenC

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/29/07 02:23 PM

Wow !<br>Awesome sites!!<br>Two of my favorites are William Bouguereau & Jean-Léon Gérôme. I thought maybe 0:39 might be in that time period, but I was off the mark.<br><br>I was recently introduced to <a href="http://todaysinspiration.blogspot.com/2007_01_01_archive.html" target="illustration" <em>Today's Inspiration</em></a> for those who are interested in Illustration from the 40's & 50's.<br><br><br>
Posted by: Celandine

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/30/07 08:57 AM

Leonardo Da Vinci, Raphael - Raffaello, Titian - Tiziano Vecellio , Sandro Botticelli , Giovanni Antonio Boltraffio, Albrecht Dürer, Lucas Cranach the Elder, Antonello da Messina, Pietro Perugino, Hans Memling, El Greco, Hans Holbein, Fyodor Stepanovich Rokotov , Peter Paul Rubens, Gobert, Caspar Netscher, Pierre Mignard, Jean-Marc Nattier, Élisabeth-Louise Vigée-Le Brun, Sir Joshua Reynolds, Franz Xaver Winterhalter, Alexei Vasilievich Tyranov, Vladimir Lukich Borovikovsky, Alexey Gavrilovich Venetsianov, Antoine-Jean Gros, Orest Adamovich Kiprensky, Amalie, Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot, Édouard Manet, Flatour, Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres, Wontner, William-Adolphe Bouguereau, Comerre, Leighton, Blaas, Renoir, Millias, Duveneck, Cassat, Weir, Zorn, Alphonse Mucha, Paul Gaugan, Henri Matisse, Picabia, Gustav Klimt, Hawkins, Magritte, Salvador Dali, Malevich, Merrild, Modigliani, and Pablo Picasso.<br><br><br>[color:white].</font color=white><br>

Re: 500 Years Of Women In Art - 05/30/07 12:05 PM

What do you mean?<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)