WiFi Mystery Revisited

Posted by: drjohn

WiFi Mystery Revisited - 04/04/07 09:12 PM

Some may remember my problem getting my Macbook to see the WiFi in an establishment. Today, the fellow who's in charge if IT at our high school stopped at our table and wanted to take a look at my computer - he likes Macs but doesn't have one. I explained that I couldn't connect to the WiFi there and handed him the computer. He asked if he could try to get the machine to make the connection and, after about 15 minutes, EUREKA, my MacBook now sees the WiFi there. <br><br>Oh, and he wouldn't even let me buy him a drink. <br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: WiFi Mystery Revisited - 04/04/07 09:18 PM

So what did he do? <br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: WiFi Mystery Revisited - 04/04/07 09:33 PM

Given drjohn's history, the fact that it was someone else who was touching the computer was probably enough to fix the problem.<br><br><br><br>

Re: WiFi Mystery Revisited - 04/04/07 09:37 PM

I'm not sure. He thought that maybe the first time I made the connection there I managed to set up some kind of protected connection that wouldn't let the computer reconnect. I know that he asked me to enter my computer name and password, in a window that I hadn't seen before, just before it made the connection. He then found the original connection I had made (that was causing the problem) and deleted it. <br><br>Sorry for the semi-answer but I really don't understand this stuff and I wasn't watching as he worked on it. <br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br>

Re: WiFi Mystery Revisited - 04/04/07 09:41 PM

But having friends in the right places sometimes makes up for it. <br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: WiFi Mystery Revisited - 04/04/07 09:41 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>He thought that maybe the first time I made the connection there I managed to set up some kind of protected connection that wouldn't let the computer reconnect.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Ahhh, that makes at least some sense. When your computer detects a WiFi it will often say something like, "none of your preferred networks are available, would you like to connect to "____ network"?<br><br>I've actually never denied it, so I wonder if you (accidentally) say no it remembers that the next time the network is available. That would be something stored in your keychain and you would need to reset it.<br><br>

Re: WiFi Mystery Revisited - 04/04/07 10:37 PM

I don't recall doing that the first time I got the machine to connect. It didn't even acknowledge the presence of the WiFi until I did something, wrong apparently, and it worked. But after that one time, it still wouldn't detect the WiFi in that one place until today. I might add, that two other guys, working together, didn't make any progress in getting the machine to work only minutes before Jeff, the IT guy, stopped by.<br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: WiFi Mystery Revisited - 04/04/07 10:42 PM

It must be Karma then. For every minute you "steal" from your neighbor you are denied that much time in free access. <br><br>

Re: WiFi Mystery Revisited - 04/04/07 10:58 PM

I prefer to think of it as temporarily borrowing. <br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br>