Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy

Posted by: Pete

Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/15/07 11:23 AM

<br><br>It's the George Foreman G5 Grill - and no, I didn't buy from Walmart or pay that much either. I heart gift cards. <br><br>Anyway, this thing is freakin' amazing. We had one of the original GF grills, and just recently the non-stick cooking substance started to wear off. Rather than continue to cook meat on a potential cancer-causing surface, I opted to replace it. <br><br>This all started when I had a panini sandwich at a friend's house - I became consumed with buying a Panini grill, but couldn't find this one particular model (Delonghi) in stock anywhere. Finally I'd gotten fed up with trying to find it online and just picked this one up the weekend after New Years'.<br><br>Started out with some pancakes Sunday morning - I slapped on the baking pan, poured on the batter, and in about 7 minutes (high setting) I had 3 of the fluffiest, most perfect buttermilk pancakes you'd ever want to see. These things were so well-formed and tasty it was scary.<br><br>Later on that night we were in sandwich mode for dinner. Slap on another interchange grilling plate and we were good to go for paninis. The wife had ham & cheese, I had roast beef & swiss - 4 minutes on the medium setting and they were done. Just something about a warm sandwich that makes it 10 times more appealing to eat than if it were just out of the fridge.<br><br>Sometime later, I decided to grill up some chicken breasts for future lunches & dinners that week. Slap on a new plate on the bottom and away we go - sliced up the chicken, and in about 6 minutes I had myself 4 perfectly grilled hunks o' meat. Like the pancakes, I had to rub my eyes when I saw how perfect they looked. Only a few light brown marks on the top from the 'steak' plate, but otherwise they were completely clean of any burns, blemishes, etc. I had to cut them all open down the center just to make sure they were actually cooked!<br><br>And cleaning this thing is just a dream compared to the old model. The plates are all removable and dishwasher safe, but with the included sponge I simply wiped em' all down with some warm water & a little soap and they were fine 'as is'. I did run them through the dishwasher anyway just to see how they turned out. <br><br>Great purchase overall. Saves me from freezing my butt off trying to grill outside this time of year...<br><br>Gosh this sounds like an amazon.com review, don't it? <br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/15/07 01:11 PM

Aaak Rick wouldn't let me get one because we just replaced our first George Grill with a similar model. I want a G5. Thanks!<br><br>oh yeah, that's going in the blog
Posted by: ezyrider

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/15/07 01:43 PM

Man I love my GF G5 Grill. I won mine at the company Christmas Party raffle. I love the waffle plate. I'll never eat another Eggo again. <br><br>We have a Mexican market chain here called La Michoacana. They have these adobo marinated boneless chicken breasts that are to die for. I first grill them on the GF, then I let them cool and slice all the chicken into strips and fold them into quesadillas, flour tortillas with shredded cheese, chopped green onions and cilantro. Then I grill them on the GF until the cheese melts and the tortillas are crisp. Top it off with a little sour cream and some hot green guacamole salsa, made fresh at La Michoacana, sheer culinary heaven.<br><br>I grilled Tablitas on the GF this weekend. Also a La Michoacana speciality. They are pork ribs sliced sideways, rather than long ribs they cut them across the rib bone, if that makes sense, they have a lot of meat on them. Anyway they are marinated in the adobo marinade too. Awesome! Adobo marinade is primarily Ancho chili peppers and Chipotle (smoked jalapeno) chili peppers with some citrus and garlic. The meat you get from their market has been marinated at least 48 hours and it is tender and delicious.<br><br>I haven't tried panini sandwiches yet but that's next on the list.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/15/07 02:14 PM

This recipe is to die for. We had it Saturday when the guy at the store gave Rick 1% Buttermilk instead of 1% Milk.<br><br>IHOP Pancakes Recipe<br>Ingredients:<br>Nonstick Spray<br>1 1/3 c. flour<br>1 egg<br>1 c. buttermilk<br>1/4 c. granulated sugar<br>1 heaping tsp baking powder<br>1 tsp baking soda<br>1/4 c. cooking oil<br><br>Directions:<br>Preheat griddle over medium heat. Use a pan with a nonstick surface or use spray. In blender, or with mixer, combine all of the remaining ingredients until smooth. Pour batter by spoonfuls into hot pan, forming 5" circles. When the edges appear to harden, flip the pancakes. The should be light brown. Cook the other side the same amount of time. Makes 8-10 pancakes.<br><br>oh yeah, that's going in the blog
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/15/07 02:25 PM

To make Boy Oh Boy waffles I would make a few slight changes to that recipe.<br><br>Up the one eggs to two. Separate egg whites in large bowl and whip them until peaks form. Drop the yolks in and the rest of ingredients except for flour and mix with fork (not much). Then add flour and mix until lumpy. (Do not overmix till smooth!)<br><br>The reason they are called Boy Oh Boy is because that is what you say when you eat them.<br><br>1/2 cup orange juice, 8/16th teaspoon cinnamon (joke fraction warning.)<br><br>But this is all side dressing because you are absolutely right. Real Buttermilk is the killer ingredient for pancakes and waffles.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/15/07 02:42 PM

Don't you realize the G5 grille has been replaced by the intel GrillePro?<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/15/07 05:35 PM

I know, but with my Universal plate I'm still able to grill everything that Intel Grills can. <br><br>

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/15/07 05:39 PM

I first grill them on the GF, then I let them cool and slice all the chicken into strips and fold them into quesadillas, flour tortillas with shredded cheese, chopped green onions and cilantro. Then I grill them on the GF until the cheese melts and the tortillas are crisp. Top it off with a little sour cream and some hot green guacamole salsa, made fresh at La Michoacana, sheer culinary heaven.<br><br>So are you essentially creating burritos, or just folding the tortillas over and grilling them as you would a sandwich? What setting are you using?<br><br>
Posted by: MrB

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/15/07 09:30 PM

I bet that is a good pancake recipe.<br><br>But these are pretty good also<br><br>I use a fist full of this<br><br><br>and add water until it looks thick enough. Add to the7 inch non-stick omlete pan. Cook and plate.<br><br>dave<br><br><br>
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/16/07 03:56 AM

What you're describing is "Old Fashion Buttermilk Pancakes".<br><br>If you love the difference in the lightness and flavor between them <br>& the regular sweet milk pancakes you're gonna' LOVE This Stuff!<br><br><br><br>Since it's dry, you can keep it on hand for months on end, and use it <br>to add that unique "tang" to all sorts of things, even mashed potatoes.<br>I add it into lots of recipes, but mainly Southern Biscuits & Pancakes.<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/16/07 04:49 AM

Buttermilk is good but oh so bad for you! <br><br>

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/16/07 05:30 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Buttermilk is good but oh so bad for you! <p><hr></blockquote><p>Not true. Virtually all buttermilk sold in the United States is cultured buttermilk usually cultured skim milk. It is very healthy for you and low in fat.<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/16/07 06:40 AM

Mine is 1%. I've used the powdered variety in baking, in fact in this recipe but the real stuff is still the best. <br><br>oh yeah, that's going in the blog

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/16/07 08:41 AM

Yes, I fold them over like a sandwich. They are more similar to tacos. I use the panini grill and set it on low.<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/16/07 08:58 AM

huh..I thought it was. I must have it mixed with something else...<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/16/07 09:05 AM

Speaking of pancakes, does anyone here have a recipe for sweet potato pancakes?<br><br>While living in Tucson I found a mix at a local market that was heavenly, but when I returned to buy more they had discontinued it. I haven't found any since.<br><br>Sweet potatoes must be God's gift to the Earth. Its as if there is a little bit of Christ in every tuber. <br><br>
Posted by: Lea

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/16/07 09:07 AM

Yes! Yes! Quesadillas! And they can be made in a good saute pan. We cut 'em up like little pies, favorite of course being shrimp and any soft white Mexican cheese (here's a good link for examples and ideas).<br><br><br><br><br><br>Y'all excuse me. I'm going into the other room to do my Homer Drool. <br><br><br><br><br><br> <br><br>[color:blue] Talk about things and nobody cares . . .</font color=blue>
Posted by: Lea

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/16/07 09:10 AM

Then you have to have some sweet potato pie. More Homer Drool here . . .<br><br>Never heard of the pancakes. Will keep my mouth . . . I mean, my eyes open. <br><br><br><br><br><br>[color:blue] Talk about things and nobody cares . . .</font color=blue>

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/16/07 09:25 AM

I had some sweet potato french fries over the weekend - yummy!<br><br>

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/16/07 09:31 AM

A favorite local southwestern chef, Stephen Pyles, has a killer recipe for Sweet Potato Tamales. Sounds weird tastes great!<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/16/07 10:36 AM

How about this? Heard about it on The Daily Show last night. Can't go wrong with a Jimmy Dean product!<br><br>

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/16/07 01:54 PM

Jimmy Dean Chocolate Chip Pancakes & Sausage on a Stick<br><br>Good Grief, why don't they sell it with whipped cream and a hammer so it's easier to pound the thing directly into your aorta.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: MrB

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/16/07 02:21 PM

they rather sound good except for the chocolate chips. Have you heard of the deep fried Twinkies on a stick. Sounds bout the same thing.<br><br>dave<br><br><br><br>

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/16/07 02:36 PM

I've had the regular Jimmy Dean Sausage/Pancake on a stick and they are good. I'm surprised my kids haven't had me get the choc chip variety yet. Sounds interesting.<br><br>I've liked Jimmy Dean ever since I was kid and saw him on Daniel Boone. He was quite the TV/movie star in the 60s. Other than being a sausage king his most memorable performance was in 007's You Only Live Twice. Bambi and Thumper were his personal body guards...<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/16/07 03:17 PM

I haven't had a twinkie on a stick but that is only because I go to the wrong state fairs. Here it is the Topsfield Fair and although they do the gigantic vegetables in a big way, (broke the 1,000 pound pumpkin a couple years back and my brother's pumpkin was in the top twenty) they don't do junk on a stick the way the Indiana State Fair did. <br><br>I even worked two days in a fryalator wagon at the Indiana State Fair (all you can eat!) until I figured out I was making twenty cents an hour. But boy were the corn dogs good. (But if you ate two per shift you were 100% grease from your hair to your ... name any body part.)<br><br>Here in New England they don't sell enough batter dipped corn dogs so the fryalator isn't hot enough. No way a twinkie would come out right as it would just soak up the grease. I ate one corn dog and it was the worst.<br><br><br>

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/16/07 07:25 PM

Funnel Cakes <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Leslie

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/16/07 07:30 PM

Twice in one day and never before. <br>I heard funnel cakes on npr today but did not get the description, pray tell.<br><br>

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/16/07 07:45 PM

Sweet Batter drizzled from a funnel into deep fat and fried until golden brown.<br><h3>Funnel Cake</h3><br>Recipe courtesy Alton Brown<br>Show: Good Eats<br>Episode: Choux Shine<br>1 cup water<br>3/4 stick butter (6 tablespoons)<br>1 tablespoon sugar<br>1/8 teaspoon salt<br>1 cup flour<br>1 cup eggs, about 4 large eggs and 2 whites<br>Vegetable oil, for frying<br>Powdered sugar, for topping<br><br>Boil water, butter, sugar, and salt together in a saucepan. Add flour and work it in until it is all incorporated and dough forms a ball. Transfer mixture to the bowl of a standing mixer and let cool for 3 to 4 minutes. With mixer lowest speed, add eggs, 1 at a time, making sure the first egg is completely incorporated before continuing. Once all eggs have been added and mixture is smooth, put dough in a piping bag fitted with a number 12 tip. Heat about 1 1/2 inches of oil in a heavy pan. Pipe dough into oil, making a free-form lattice pattern; cook until browned, flipping once. Remove cake from oil, drain on paper towels, and top with powdered sugar. Continue until all of the batter is used.<br><br>~ or ~<br><h3>FAMOUS AMISH FUNNEL CAKES</h3> <br>3 eggs, beaten<br>2 c. milk<br>1/4 c. sugar<br>4 c. flour, sifted<br>2 tsp. baking powder<br>1/2 tsp. salt<br><br>To beaten eggs, add milk and sugar. In separate bowl sift dry ingredients. Add to egg mixture, beating until smooth. Heat oil to 375 degrees and pour batter into hot fat through a regular household funnel. Control the flow of batter by holding your finger over the bottom of the funnel.<br><br>Make patterns, designs, swirls or whatever with the stream of batter as it flows into the hot fat. When "cakes" are golden brown, drain, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and serve warm.<br><br>
Posted by: Leslie

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/16/07 07:56 PM

WOW!<br>They look scrumptious.<br>My mouth is watering but my teeth are aching.<br>Thanks for the info.<br><br>

Re: Speaking of grilling - my new kitchen toy - 01/16/07 08:02 PM

Just another way to fry dough. Sort of like the Jimmt Dean thing but without the stick and the sausage.<br><br>Topsfield make funnel cake (but they screew it up. New Englanders can't run a fryalator. Only south of the Mason Dixon line our midwest.<br><br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by polymerase on 01/16/07 11:04 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>