Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang?

Posted by: Biggerfoot

Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/14/06 11:50 AM

<br><br>The next generation of the Ford Mustang could include some previously unthinkable variants including a four-door sedan and a station wagon, according to a report in the magazine AutoWeek.<br><br>"To a Mustang purist, this is blasphemy," said Bob Gritzinger, AutoWeek's senior editor for news.<br><br>Mustang has become a strong brand name, perhaps even stronger than Ford's famous Blue Oval, the magazine story says.<br><br>Story<br><br>_______<br>
Posted by: SparkCollector

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/14/06 12:05 PM

It's blasphemy, alright.<br><br>...wrapped in rotten raven's wretching, dipped in dripping dogshˇt and shoved up a skunk's ass.<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/14/06 12:11 PM

Does the plate on the middle car actually say Falcon?! <br><br>yeah, a 4 door or station wagon version of the Mustang is stupid.<br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/14/06 12:12 PM

Ugh! <br><br>When I was a lad, my father bought one of the first. Just a straight 6 with a 3-speed stick. Not even close to a muscle car, but it sure was a looker! <br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/14/06 12:27 PM

Mustang Giugiaro Concept car. VERY slick looking.<br><br>By the way, if you click the wallpaper button in the navigation bar, you'll find a ton of makes and models to get some very nice photography (many are 1600x1200 size and even larger) perfect for desktop photos.<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.
Posted by: Pete

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/14/06 12:28 PM

I've actually been considering the Mustang lately - the Honda Civic is good on gas and will most assuredly go for at least 200,000 miles, but I think I seriously underestimated the importance of *comfort* over a 2-year period while commuting 60 miles a day. That, and having to wave people around you on the highway because it takes 20 minutes to get up to 65mph. <br><br>I love the new 'retro' look, but I won't touch a 4-door version.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/14/06 12:29 PM

What's that black thing on the trunk — a carrying handle? <br><br>

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/14/06 12:33 PM

I still have my Camaro...with the 6 cylinder and the auto 4 speed overdrive, I do pretty good on gas. I really like the planned retro Camaro. <br><br>_______<br>

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/14/06 12:35 PM

Hmm..does that "concept" look familiar.<br><br><br><br>click here for bigger image of the 2008/09 Chevy Camaro<br><br>

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/14/06 09:40 PM

Bahhhh.... you can't tell me that you think they look the same just cause they're the same color! The Camaro doesn't belong in the same discussion as the Mustang! <br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/15/06 04:11 AM

Surely you clicked on the larger image? No, it's not just the color but the overall shape.<br><br>I have always liked the mustangs over the camaros.<br><br>

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/15/06 05:25 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I have always liked the mustangs over the camaros.<br><p><hr></blockquote><p>OK, I'll let you live then! <br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/15/06 05:30 AM

Thanks..I thought for a minute there I would have to find a photo of my dad's old 1970 Mustang. heh<br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/15/06 06:42 AM

Mustangs are girl cars. Give me a hemi any day. <br>A Mustang wagon?!? Say it ain't so<br>"Brad Bowling, a Mustang expert who has written several books on the car including the Standard Catalog of Mustang, told CNNMoney.com he was not particularly bothered by the idea.<br><br>Bowling himself recently parted with one of his Mustangs, a 2001 model, because he needed something with more room, he said. He bought a Hemi-powered Dodge Magnum wagon."<br><br>oh yeah, that's going in the blog
Posted by: ezyrider

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/15/06 10:13 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Mustangs are girl cars.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Hey now! I have a Mustang and a Vette and both have kept up just fine with the Dodge Hemis. However I do want one of those Challengers...saweeet!<br><br><br><br>Now these Mustangs had a Hemi...<br><br><br><br>My '69 Mach 1 has a 460 Police Interceptor engine which isn't a Hemi like the Boss 429. But it is much more managable in the real world. 600 HP with an extra 150 HP NOS boost can handle just about anything. But it's temperamental. That's were Dodge has done it right by building a Hemi that can haul ass as well as haul groceries without having to retune it everytime you stomp on it.<br><br>I don't like the Camaro concept car at all. But I still think the small block Chevy V8 (283-350-400) is the most reliable, tough, cheap to hot rod engines ever built. I used to have a hot rod Monte Carlo that would scare most Viper and Porsche drivers to death. The new Vettes are insanely fast and sophisticated and IMO the only good car Chevy builds. I like Chevys but Chevrolet has lost their way.<br><br>No Hemis here either but I wouldn't mind a new Shelby GT 500...<br><br><br><br>Man I love cars!<br><br><br><br>

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/15/06 10:23 AM

The more people post these types of pics, the faster it's going to drive me to the Ford Dealer this weekend...<br><br>Where does one go to look at a Shelby? Are they just at regular Ford dealers, or are there Shelby dealers as well?<br><br>Not that I'm spending 50 grand on a car, but it might be nice to scout it out in the event of a lottery win.<br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/15/06 10:37 AM

My first car was a Ford and and I had a 20th Anniversary edition Mercury Cougar. I've sworn off American cars until the quality improves but, I'm sure that car is much better built (at least for it's price it better be). I love that look of that car. I would rather have one of those than cars 3X the cost.<br><br><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FAuoOjUKk_U"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FAuoOjUKk_U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><br><br>

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/15/06 11:03 AM

I had a 1969 Boss 302. It was number 1600 out of just a few more. I sold it back in 1981 for $3200 for college money...now I see them going for over $40,000+<br><br>_______<br>

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/15/06 12:31 PM

I think they are built-to-order at the dealership. Although there is one at the massive Ford dealership near my house. It is reasonably priced at $37,500. Not bad for 500 HP and all the other goodies Shelby adds plus a warranty.<br><br>

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/15/06 12:54 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I've sworn off American cars until the quality improves<p><hr></blockquote><p>Ditto! That's why I drive a Nissan Xterra as my daily driver. <br><br>American manufacturers still build great muscle cars like Mustangs, Corvettes, Chargers, GTOs, etc. I have driven most and they are as good as it gets. But it seems that the everyday cars are all junk. My wife's 02 Pontiac Bonneville has been in the shop a lot since the 75,000 mi warranty expired. <br><br>Everyone I know with a European car have had the same problems American cars have but it costs twice as much to fix. I have driven a few BMWs and Mercedes and the experience is unparelled but they are nortorious for having expensive break downs. <br><br>Japanese is the only way to go. I had a Honda Civic in the 90s before the Nissan and it went for 250,000 miles and I probably spent about $500 on it in 5 years. The Nissan is much more comfortable than my Corvette and has 265 HP which is plenty in the nasty crosstown traffic I endure everyday. Plus, Corvettes hate just sitting in 110 degree summer heat in bumper to bumper traffic, I almost fried it a couple of times. I have a 60 mile round trip everyday and gas mileage was also becoming a factor. The Xterra gets twice the gas milage the Vette did and I can use regular unleaded. The Vette, my Mustang or almost any performance car usually requires 93 octane premium or it runs like sh!t.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/15/06 03:43 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I think I seriously underestimated the importance of *comfort*<p><hr></blockquote><p>The new mustang is *not* comfortable.<br><br>In fact I'd have to say that Ford simply designed the exterior of the car and damn anything else important, it must look "retro" at all costs.<br><br>I drove one around for a few days down in Florida about a month ago. I thought "sweet" when I was walking towards the rental stall. That quickly changed to "damn I hate this car" in about 5 minutes time.<br><br>First, to even belt up, unless you're 7 feet tall and sit in the rear seat to drive, you have to somehow turn damned near completely around in the seat to reach the seatbelt since the pillar is about a FOOT BEHIND you. I suppose a person could grab the seatbelt on their way into the car, but I don't give any breaks to piss poor ergonomic design. 4 doors would actually be a GOOD thing on this car.<br><br>Secondly, the car has the worst visibility of any car I've ever driven, which includes old mustangs. The windshield is so squashed you can barely see out of it. <br><br>Third, the interior is complete plastic. Cheap plastic. So cheap they don't even bother trying to make it look good plastic. The damned shift lever is plastic, halfway molded to look like an old hurst shifter you'd find in the old mustangs. The steering wheel is plastic, molded to "look" like the old tri-spoke wheels. But here's the kicker, any part that was chrome metal on an old mustang isn't even fake chrome, it's cheap silvery grey paint. Did I mention cheap? Oh yeah, and then there is the CHEAP feel to the whole interior. Did I say cheap? I forgot. Look, just about any car you buy now has plastic all throughout the interior. But I'll never complain that my Altima's interior is cheap again. Compared to the Mustang, it's the damned Taj Mahal. At least Nissan tried to make it halfway decent (and the latest ones acutally have a great interior).<br><br>Lastly, I suppose because it was an automatic and my car is a stick, it felt completely anemic, even though it was an 8 cylinder car. When I hit the gas in my Altima, the car is effortless in it's acceleration. So much so it gets scary quick. The mustang felt like there was a ton of power getting sapped away. I have a real desire to race these mustangs for pink slips because I'd win every single time. The problem is I wouldn't want to win one of the things!<br><br>Sorry if I burst any bubbles you had ;)<br><br>**edit - Oh yeah, the stereo sucked too. I'm sure the rental cars don't buy the best stereos but it could have been way better.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!®<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by SgtBaxter on 12/15/06 06:46 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/15/06 06:37 PM

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Ford Motor Company released a statement today calling reports that the company would make four-door variants of its Mustang sports car "not true."<br><br>"The Mustang is an icon and will continue in its current form: a unique two-door, rear-wheel drive, 2+2 performance car," the statement says.<br><br>_______<br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/15/06 06:41 PM

Humm<br>Maybe Ford is confused with the Pinto again ? <br><br>
Posted by: Jashue

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/15/06 10:50 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Honda Civic is good on gas and will most assuredly go for at least 200,000 miles, but I think I seriously underestimated the importance of *comfort* over a 2-year period while commuting 60 miles a day. That, and having to wave people around you on the highway because it takes 20 minutes to get up to 65mph.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Ya know Pete, not all Civics are dead sleds. The 2006 Civic was redesigned from the ground up and the Si model inherited the K20 engine previously found in the Acura RSX type S. It's not as torquey as many of the other cars mentioned in this thread but at 200 HP it is plenty fast for a car of that weight. <br><br>And fun? Look at the slalom specs for this car! Few can touch it in this realm.. This car provides real world fun on a twisty country road. The thing screams after the vtec crossover-- all the way up to 8,000 rpm and it sounds great doing it. It's sort of having an Indy car tuned for reality. <br><br>Yeah it would be nice to be able to go from zero to sixty in under five seconds, but I'll gladly settle for a time under seven seconds if it means better fuel economy and lower insurance rates.<br><br>Here are a couple snaps:<br><br><br><br><br><br>It's got a 360 watt sound system with a line-in for my iPod and a Navigation system. Fun fun fun. Girl car? I'm pretty secure. <br><br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/16/06 08:15 AM

Comfort is why I love my Magnum. If I want to kick it in the teeth, I can. If I want to haul 5 people and cargo I can. But best of all (besides the fact that it is fun to drive) it has the Mercedes undercarriage and leather seats. It's like driving a limo every day and my passengers always comment too. I do say I really like the latest body styles of the new Mustangs but I like the look of my car better. I can't imagine driving anything else. A little trivia. Did you know the Magnum is actually 2" shorter than the Charger? I love my car like I love my Mac.<br>BTW we have over 24,000 miles on it and no major repairs.<br><br><br><br>oh yeah, that's going in the blog

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/16/06 08:23 AM

Hey! I had a '75 Pinto. Put over 150K miles on it and never once had the gas tank explode on me! So there. <br><br>

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/16/06 09:14 AM

Ya know Pete, not all Civics are dead sleds.<br><br>I may give the Si model a look - if it's got ample head & leg room, as well as decent acceleration, it'll go into the mental file as a possibility.<br><br><br>

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/17/06 06:03 PM

Well, so much for the Mustang - we wound up at the Honda dealership on Saturday and I'm now on the verge of upgrading my '04 Civic LX to an '07 Civic EX with XM radio, navigation and a sunroof...<br><br>Got a nice figure on my trade-in, which helped the decision... Filled out all the paperwork on Sat, and will be going back for a test-drive on Tuesday night. Trying to decide if the navigation & XM is worth it - only about $20 more a month...<br><br>The horsepower is a big step over my current model, so I'm assured at least a little more 'giddy-up'. But, we shall see...<br><br>

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/17/06 06:37 PM

why not step up to the Accord? We have a 2003 and love it.<br><br>Oh...and I bet the 2006 models are going at a good price plus they tend to have better warranties. This truck I have will be the last new vehicle I ever get.

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/17/06 08:34 PM

I had a figure I was looking to keep my monthly payment at, and the Accord just didn't fit under the cap. For the price of the Civic, however, I get a lot more extras as well as comparable head room & comfort. At least it was comparable for someone of my size. <br><br>Who knows, I haven't committed yet - still have yet to test drive... <br><br>

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/18/06 04:07 AM

Those civics do look nice though. What color would you get?<br><br>

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/18/06 07:26 AM

I think it might turn out to be either black or "Galaxy Grey", depending on which options I get...<br><br>
Posted by: MrB

Re: Ugh..a 4-Door Mustang? - 12/20/06 09:14 AM

No, it should say "Gelding"<br><br>dave<br><br><br>

My Porsche womper in 86 - 12/20/06 09:40 AM

Well, my brand new RX7 Turbo in 86. this was a grabber back then. I think it would still do well. <br><br>two hours after I bought this I had gone to Woodword OK for ice creame with a friend. We were coming back south home on a back highway. We came upon a TransAm. We slowed down to pass him at around 100 and I am not sure he knew we were there. I know he didn't see us afteward for long as we were outa there. <br><br>Great litlle car. <br><br><br><br>dave<br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: My Porsche womper in 86 - 12/20/06 11:23 AM

Porsche womper?<br><br>Good thing it was a TransAm you passed...a Porsche 930 could do a 125 in third gear before shifting to fourth.<br><br>In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams<br>

Re: My Porsche womper in 86 - 12/20/06 11:33 AM

The Mazda RX7 turbo back then was competing with the Posche 944 which it beat on specs. They went back and forth for a bit before they stoped making both.<br><br>They were both similary priced. Neather coulc compete with the higher priced Poches of course.<br><br>dave<br><br>

Re: My Porsche womper in 86 - 12/20/06 11:44 PM

This is how this baby ended it's life with me. Thank goodness it didn't end my life. I came to rest suspended by my seat/shoulder harness.<br><br>dave<br><br><br><br>