"Dual Layer" DVDs????

Posted by: MacGizmo

"Dual Layer" DVDs???? - 11/27/06 03:39 AM

So the MacPro is "Dual Layer" capable, at least that's what it says on the box. So what exactly does that mean?<br><br>I know that dual layer DVDs exist, but the only real mention of it on Apple's site is a listing for a spindle of them in the store.<br><br>Will the MacPro burn them, or just read them? <br><br>When burning, is it a similar process (other than it takes twice as long to burn the 8.5gigs) as regular DVDs?<br><br>I would love to get twice as much video onto a DVD (transfer from my old high8 camcorder videos), but only if its playable on a standard DVD player... anyone with experience with these DVDs have time to share your thoughts?<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: "Dual Layer" DVDs???? - 11/27/06 04:01 AM

Most of the video DVDs are now dual layered. I think iLife 06 was a dual layered DVD too.<br><br>The dual layer is on one side, so you do not have to flip it over.<br><br>In Toast, it will burn data ones without any problems and Popcorn will copy video duals without the need of compression. Basically, the disc is seen as larger capacity media.<br><br>_______<br>

Re: "Dual Layer" DVDs???? - 11/27/06 05:06 AM

Any suggestions on the brand of DVD to buy?<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.

Re: "Dual Layer" DVDs???? - 11/27/06 05:25 AM

I have used Ritek Ridata from the online stores via DealMac and Memorex from the local stores without any problems. I am using Taiyo Yuden too but have not seen them for dual burning. <br><br>_______<br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: "Dual Layer" DVDs???? - 11/27/06 05:25 AM

How much old video are you looking to put onto DVD?<br><br>Both of my brothers have a lot of video and are waiting for blueray to come down in price and availability since the discs have a huge increase in space.<br><br>As far as brands go, I am not sure. I tried to burn some DL dvd's and ended up with coasters. They aren't cheap so will wait before trying again.<br><br>
Posted by: Topper

Re: "Dual Layer" DVDs???? - 11/27/06 05:40 AM

You are right, I don't think Taiyo Yuden has dual-layer DVDs.<br>I don't use dual-layer DVDs but the brands I trust the most besides Taiyo Yuden would be TDK, Verbatim, and Sony.<br>I had a bad batch of Memorex DVDs so I will not use them again.<br><br>
Posted by: Topper

Re: "Dual Layer" DVDs???? - 11/27/06 05:57 AM

I would like to use dual-layer DVDs also but they are so expensive.<br>They sell for $2.50 per disc and up.<br>But I did check prices via Froogle and I did find some dual-layer DVDs that approached $1.00 per disc.<br>I had too many hits so I narrowed the field down by using "dual layer dvds 50-pack" and "dual layer dvds 25-pack." I did not use the quotation marks<br><br>

Re: "Dual Layer" DVDs???? - 11/27/06 09:16 AM

John,<br><br>Not sure how much video I NEED to fit on them, I just have several High8 video tapes that I want to get onto DVD (as few as possible). Plus, I want to fit as much backed up software and documents as I can onto them. For instance, I have one job I'm working on that is about 5.2 gigs... I would rather get it on ONE DVD than two, for simplicity sake.<br><br>Topper,<br>Thanks for the info. I'm gonna try the Verbatim discs from Apple's site... I'll report back with results.<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.

Re: "Dual Layer" DVDs???? - 11/27/06 09:46 AM

What I was getting at was that I think a normal DVD (4.7GB) can only hold a certain amount of hours (2?) on one DVD, so figure double that for dual layer.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: "Dual Layer" DVDs???? - 11/27/06 10:06 AM

but only if its playable on a standard DVD player<br><br>Only one way to find out - my advice would be to get a 5-pack from a local store just for testing purposes...<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: "Dual Layer" DVDs???? - 11/27/06 10:28 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I tried to burn some DL dvd's and ended up with coasters.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I thought you had the same Powermac I do (original 2003 dual G5)? The optical drives in those most certainly cannot burn DL DVDs. Or did you upgrade to a DL-burning drive?<br><br>

Re: "Dual Layer" DVDs???? - 11/27/06 11:15 AM

Yup, I upgraded mine with the Pioneer 111D. Got it at newegg<br><br>

Re: "Dual Layer" DVDs???? - 11/27/06 11:24 AM

$31, so sad. I think I paid 400 for my 104. <br><br><br><br>

Re: "Dual Layer" DVDs???? - 11/27/06 11:29 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>$31, so sad. I think I paid 400 for my 104. <p><hr></blockquote><p>True, but did you miss the part about how all the disks he burns end up as coasters? <br><br>

Re: "Dual Layer" DVDs???? - 11/27/06 11:32 AM

Well, there was a reason they did **coughcough** and I haven't bought anymore blank DL discs yet.<br><br>

Re: "Dual Layer" DVDs???? - 11/27/06 11:34 AM

Oh, so you're an Apple developer now? Congrats! <br><br>

Re: "Dual Layer" DVDs???? - 11/27/06 11:37 AM

eh? What's that you say? <br><br>
Posted by: SparkCollector

Re: "Dual Layer" DVDs???? - 11/27/06 01:06 PM

Meh...Disks are getting long in the tooth.<br><br>What we need is a good way to store enormous amounts of any kind of data on plain paper.<br><br>Oh, Look!<br><br>Somebody's figured out how to do that!<br>http://www.techworld.com/storage/news/index.cfm?newsID=7424<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: trey

Re: "Dual Layer" DVDs???? - 11/27/06 01:29 PM

Or maybe not.<br><br>

Re: "Dual Layer" DVDs???? - 11/27/06 01:53 PM

I refuse to trust my data backups to something that in an emergency might be used to wipe ones' ass with!<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.

Re: "Dual Layer" DVDs???? - 11/27/06 03:29 PM

I was really poor in college, so to save money I would try to find other, clever uses for all those disks that AOL would send me in the mail. I wish they had sent me paper disks. <br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: "Dual Layer" DVDs???? - 11/27/06 03:46 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I would try to find other, clever uses for all those disks that AOL would send me<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Target practice? <br><br>____________________________________________________<br>Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive,<br>But to be young was very heaven!

Re: "Dual Layer" DVDs???? - 11/27/06 04:22 PM

I used to love the old AOL floppies...it was nice of them to send reusable discs!<br><br>_______<br>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: "Dual Layer" DVDs???? - 11/27/06 05:43 PM

FYI, I have some Memorex DL disks and on my older DL burner, even if Toast would let me burn over 8 GBs of data, I'd get a burn failure. If I kept the data under 8 GBs, it burned fine. It could have been because I updated the firmware of the older burner. Haven't tried it with the 111D though.<br><br>