Old fuddy duddy post

Posted by: yoyo52

Old fuddy duddy post - 11/21/06 07:40 PM

OK, I know I'm not just getting old, but am positively in that condition when I say that the new way that kids learn math stinks. My son had a problem set tonight that involved simultaneous equation word problems. Apparently what they teach them to do now is to set up the constants in a two- or three-ply matrix on their little graphing calculators, and then solve by taking the inverse of the matrix and multiplying. He did it all as per order, but kept getting the wrong answer and came down to the old man to ask what he was doing wrong. I didn't have a clue about how to program the thing on the calculator, but even though the last math course I took was 35 years ago, I know perfectly well how to do simultaneous equations, so I got the right answer . . . and we worked backwards from the answer to what the calculator matrix should have looked like. See why the method sucks? The problem is that the whole thing becomes a matter of pushing buttons without really engaging the old brain, and when you have a brain fart you just don't have the brain in gear so you can't figure out what's going wrong.<br><br>____________________________________________________<br>Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive,<br>But to be young was very heaven!
Posted by: SacredBovine

Re: Old fuddy duddy post - 11/21/06 08:47 PM

True, true...<br><br>(Nods ancient head in agreement with fuddy duddy math purist of yesteryear while simultaneously being vaguely aware of drool on right side of own chin...)<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: Old fuddy duddy post - 11/21/06 09:07 PM

There's more than one way to skin a cat... <br><br><br><br>www.waleedsgallery.biz<br>
Posted by: trey

Re: Old fuddy duddy post - 11/21/06 10:32 PM

Jeez, that actually makes me think of what may happen when/if I have a kid and he/she comes to me with a math problem... Blank stare and call for mom. Hope she knows math.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Old fuddy duddy post - 11/22/06 05:41 AM

I would ask about simultaneous equations on all first dates or your kids are screwed.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Topper

Re: Old fuddy duddy post - 11/22/06 05:52 AM

Maybe it should be in the prenup.<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Old fuddy duddy post - 11/22/06 08:10 AM

I was a math major before I turned coocoo and got into lit. Why coocoo? Let me tell you how many papers I have to read, comment on, grade, and return by next Monday . . . .<br><br>____________________________________________________<br>Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive,<br>But to be young was very heaven!
Posted by: carp

Re: Old fuddy duddy post - 11/22/06 07:29 PM

[color:blue]The problem is that the whole thing becomes a matter of pushing buttons without really engaging the old brain</font color=blue> - I hear ya.<br><br>Yes - in construction there are special calculators as well.<br>I had a problem with grading -vs- concrete slab and I asked the 2 possible culprits what is wrong when obviously "visually" there is something going on . They both whipped out their special calculators and the grading guy had a GPS calculator <----- Dang It just fix the problem don't whip out a calculator , gheees<br><br>