Wilco is on Conan O'Brien's show tonight.

Posted by: SparkCollector

Wilco is on Conan O'Brien's show tonight. - 05/12/06 08:55 PM

Listen up, dammit!<br><br><br><br>

Re: Wilco is on Conan O'Brien's show tonight. - 05/12/06 10:37 PM

I'm a little disappointed they were so sonically tame.<br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Wilco is on Conan O'Brien's show tonight. - 05/12/06 11:24 PM

I can't stand Conan, but I watched just to see who Wilco was. <br><br>When I heard them, I wondered why you requested we listen.<br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br>

Re: Wilco is on Conan O'Brien's show tonight. - 05/13/06 12:42 AM

Wilco is a tough band to pigeonhole, John.<br><br>What you heard tonight was a pretty spare arrangement for them. They're well known for taking those simple, pretty songs and building enormously rich and textured sonic landscapes that will blow your hair back. Then, in a hairpin turn they come back down to the most subtle and sweet refrains that you almost have to look twice to see whether there are actually two different bands playing, and seamlessly blending back and forth with eachother.<br><br>I'm going to guess if you had caught them in full roar you'd have turned off your TV with a big glass candy dish.<br><br>
Posted by: nutty

Re: Wilco is on Conan O'Brien's show tonight. - 05/13/06 07:11 AM

he was better in Uncle Tupelo.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Wilco is on Conan O'Brien's show tonight. - 05/13/06 09:20 AM

I dunno if "better" is a proper description, Nutty. It's just a matter of personal taste, I think.<br><br>In Uncle Tupelo, all of the strong Tweedy song bones are there—just like they are in Wilco—and I really enjoy those old albums. But for me, I REALLY love the tsunami soundscapes Wilco gets into—some of which rival the best of what Sonic Youth has done both live and in the studio.<br><br>Seeing Wilco live last summer just solidified my lust for their brand of song and sound. I don't know of any other band that does what they do or even come close to doing it as well.<br><br>If you get a chance to see Wilco live—GO. You won't leave dissatisfied.<br><br>
Posted by: nutty

Re: Wilco is on Conan O'Brien's show tonight. - 05/13/06 10:21 AM

i have had the pleasure to see both Uncle Tupelo and Wilco live a few times. I just enjoyed Tupelos tension better, plus they were really freaking punk country at the time.<br><br>Wilco is just a bit to "pearl jam" for me.<br><br>