Wherefore art thou Al?

Posted by: MattMac112

Wherefore art thou Al? - 04/20/06 01:11 PM

Any recommendations on a good volume of Shakespeare? I know there is a ton of material to draw from, but I'm going right to the expert for this one. <br><br>I'm re-reading Rome and Juliet right now .. the Signet Classics Shakespeare series edition (paperback). It contains a good introduction and a couple of essays in the back. Am I on the right track with this series or is there something that you deem better?<br><br>***********************<br>[color:red]Nice Try</font color=red>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Wherefore art thou Al? - 04/20/06 01:29 PM

Do you want single-play editions, Matt? It sounds like that's the way you're going, anyway, and if it is, I'd suggest either the Folger editions or the New Arden editions. The Folgers are good student texts. The explanatory notes are on facing pages, so it's easier to go back and forth from the text to the notes. The Ardens are scholarly editions, so the notes are much much fuller than in the Folgers, perhaps too full for the everyday reader. There's also a price difference--the Folgers about 6 bucks, and the Ardens about 14 bucks.<br><br>PS: "wherefore" means "why," and I can tell you I'm Al[berto] because my maternal grandad was too <br><br>. . . . . Here's lookin' at [color:red]you</font color=red> kid.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by yoyo52 on 04/20/06 04:30 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Wherefore art thou Al? - 04/20/06 02:00 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Do you want single-play editions, Matt?<p><hr></blockquote><p>Well, that's what I have now. But I'm not necessarily limiting myself to single editions. In other words, I'd be open to more inclusive volumes of work. <br><br>Thanks for the tip on the Folger and New Arden books. I'll definitely look in them. The notes definitely help with terms and phrases (Carrying coals: enduring insults). <br><br>Anyway, thanks for the response, Alberto! <br><br>***********************<br>[color:red]Nice Try</font color=red>

Re: Wherefore art thou Al? - 04/20/06 08:17 PM

If you want a complete works, there are a whole bunch to choose from. I'm partial to the Riverside Shakespeare, but that's because the editor was my mentor . . . and a fabulously nice guy to boot. A few years ago I nominated him for an honorary degree at my place of work, and when he came down to get it, he gave me as a present a first edition of Hobbes' Leviathan (1651). Pretty neat, eh? Whatever you do, though, don't get the complete works edited by A. L. Rouse, which gets published by a bunch of different houses. It sucks! David Bevington's edition, published by Longman, is pretty good, as is the Oxford edition (just be sure you get the version with notes!!).<br><br>. . . . . Here's lookin' at [color:red]you</font color=red> kid.
Posted by: Walrus

Re: Wherefore art thou Al? - 04/20/06 08:26 PM

Now why, pray tell, do you say the A. L. Rouse sucks?<br><br>[color:red]Bibo, ergo sum</font color=red>

Re: Wherefore art thou Al? - 04/20/06 08:30 PM

Great!<br><br>Thanks Al. I visited a few of bookstores tonight looking at various editions, even at Half Price Books. That's where I found a Samuel French acting edition "The Taming Of The Shrew." It's not quite as large as 8.5 x 11, but it's not their more common smaller size either. No copyright date, but it looks pretty old (and in good shape). <br><br>I'll look for the Riverside Shakespeare complete works, then add a few single play editions too. <br><br>Thanks for all the information. <br><br>***********************<br>[color:red]Nice Try</font color=red>

Re: Wherefore art thou Al? - 04/21/06 05:35 AM

Rouse's "edition" borrows the old 19th century Globe edition, and adds some notes to the older glosses. It's by no means Rouse's best work, and comes late in his life when (like so many other scholars--Harold Bloom comes to mind) he needs money. Bloom, incidentally, is like Rouse a first-rate scholar, but in the last 15 years or so he has given his name to almost every single publishing scheme so as to raise money to care for his handicapped son.<br><br>. . . . . Here's lookin' at [color:red]you</font color=red> kid.