Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images)

Posted by: Biggerfoot

Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 02/12/06 01:47 PM

Since you do power lifting and strongman items, do you do much grip training?<br><br>I really starting concentrating on my grip and I can really tell a difference with my heavy lifts.<br><br>I mostly use grippers and a grip machine but I have also made some homemade stuff that works out well.<br><br>Grippers, dexterity balls, etc:<br><br><br><br>Grip machine:<br><br><br><br>Homemade Heavy handle, Rolling Thunder, and levers:<br><br><br><br><br><br>Oh, by the way, I really like using my trap bar for deadlifts.<br><br><br><br> Some photos of my basement gym<br><br>_______<br>For unique Raku pottery, visit Mole Hill Studios at: http://www.molehillstudios.com
Posted by: Topper

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 02/12/06 02:41 PM

Absolutely.<br>I've got the 100, 145, 195, and 280 lb Captain's of Crush Grippers.<br>I can easily close the 195 lb.<br>I can not come close to closing the 280 lb.<br>I use the 100 pounder to strengthen my two smallest fingers.<br>I use the 145 pounder to strengthen my two larger fingers.<br>I also use the 145 pounder to explode my closing speed.<br>When I deadlift I wrap my hands around the bar in the same direction to put more pressure on my grip. And of course I use no straps.<br>Oh yes, I can also wrist curl 200 pounds.<br><br>By the way, as always, very nice equipment.<br>I love your Grip Machine. I've always wanted one but I never wanted to pay the money.<br>I did make my own but I don't use it much.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 02/12/06 02:45 PM

I have not been able to close the #3 yet either. I found the Heavy Grips 250 helps and I also filed off a CC #2 to train.<br><br>One side benefit I found is that my arthritis in my hand and golfer's elbow has greatly improved.<br><br>I was thinking about making a Telegraph Key to help with pinching...have you used one?<br><br>_______<br>For unique Raku pottery, visit Mole Hill Studios at: http://www.molehillstudios.com

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 02/12/06 02:49 PM

I've never used the Telegraph Key. But anything like that has to help.<br>I just don't want to spend the kind of money that Ironmind is asking for.<br><br>Sorry to hear about your arthritis. <br><br>

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 02/12/06 02:55 PM

I did not want to spend the cash either for one.<br><br>I was thinking of making one. This one looks pretty easy to build:<br><br><br><br><br>Do you do any thick bar work? I have 2" dumbbells I like and was thinking about a 2" barbell.<br><br>_______<br>For unique Raku pottery, visit Mole Hill Studios at: http://www.molehillstudios.com

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 02/12/06 03:32 PM

Do you do any thick bar work?<br><br>No, I don't. <br>The big boys use them and swear by them.<br>Obviously a thick bar is going to make your grip even stronger.<br><br>Bill Kazmaier is the strongman I most admire.<br>He is the only American to ever win the World's Strongman Contest three times.<br>The reason I mention him is he is the only man (at least the last I heard) to ever lift and clean the Thomas Inch Dumbell. <br>I believe his forearms are something like 17 1/2 inches. <br>Just think what kind of grip Mr. Kazmaier has.<br><br>Anyway, I am just going to use what I already have.<br>The only piece of equipment that I may still buy is the trap bar.<br><br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 02/12/06 03:35 PM

I hate these threads. I am so weak. <br><br>
Posted by: lesh

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 02/12/06 03:42 PM

If we ever need bodyguards, Trog, we know where to look first.<br><br>

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 02/12/06 04:08 PM

Here are my homemade thick dumbbells from a set of dumbbells I did not use:<br><br><br><br>I do not care for the longer handles but I do use them for Zottman curls.<br><br>I really like my Grip Machine...it really seems to hit the forearms.<br><br>Are you training for your #3 certification? I know the credit card set is tough.<br><br><br>_______<br>For unique Raku pottery, visit Mole Hill Studios at: http://www.molehillstudios.com
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 02/12/06 04:09 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I hate these threads. I am so weak.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Hahahahaha. Right. I lift my weight everyday and that's good enough for me.<br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 02/12/06 08:41 PM

Zottman Curls are excellent forearm exercises.<br>I like to do them after grip exercises for the burn effect.<br>I would absolutely love to get #3 grip certification.<br>To be truthful with you, I don't think I'll ever get it.<br>I am not close right now and I'm almost 60 years old. <br>But I am trying very hard. <br>I've come to the realization that my two smallest fingers are my Achilles' heel, so to speak.<br>So I am blasting them to the highest heavens.<br><br>How about you?<br><br><br>

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 02/13/06 07:13 AM

I was hoping to get a #3 certification this year but now that they require a credit card set, it is going to be tough. My problem is my golfer's elbow that I have been fighting for many years.<br><br>I have seem many your age going strong as ever...that is my main reason for doing it too...to stay healthy.<br><br>My #3 is a 2004 and from what I read, the new ones are even harder.<br><br>for those that want to know what we are talking about<br><br>_______<br>For unique Raku pottery, visit Mole Hill Studios at: http://www.molehillstudios.com

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 02/13/06 07:55 AM

I was hoping to get a #3 certification this year<br><br>Yes, I figure it's this year or never for me. <br>Realistically I honestly don't think I can do it.<br>But I practice ever other day religiously.<br>Even a quarter of an inch from closing is a long, long, ways away and I'm not near a quarter of an inch.<br><br>I could tell your's was old because the spring is black. The newer ones are chrome.<br>Will they let you use your #3 or do you have to use one of theirs?<br><br><br>

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 02/13/06 11:12 AM

From my understanding, you get to use your own #3...it just has to be verified as a CoC #3 by the witness. That is one reason why the "easy" #3s I have seen have sold for well over $100.<br><br>I had to take a couple of weeks off not too long ago because I over did it...that is when I really started concentrating my finger extensor work.<br><br>_______<br>For unique Raku pottery, visit Mole Hill Studios at: http://www.molehillstudios.com
Posted by: RubenC

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 02/13/06 11:51 AM

Wow! You guys are gripping #3's!!<br>I've barely moved up to a #1 and aspire to move to a #2 CoC gripper. Nice home gym by the way, I wish I had the additional room, that's why I go to the 24 Hour fitness nearby my house. I was a late bloomer when it came to weighlifting, been doing it for 4 years now and I hope I never stop.<br><br>

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 02/13/06 03:49 PM

Nope, Biggerfoot may be a #3 gripper but I'm a #3 wannabe. <br>4 years is very good...makes you feel good. <br>When are you going to start hanging out at Hermosa Beach?<br><br><br><br>

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 02/13/06 04:29 PM

I haven't been to Hermosa beach in years, when I go it's generally to Huntington beach, but that's been a while now.<br>It would be a good excuse to go see some eye candy! <br><br>

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 02/13/06 04:49 PM

I am not a certified Captain of Crush either...at least yet! It is still going to awhile for me too.<br><br>_______<br>

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 02/13/06 05:18 PM

I started for health reasons (bad back, cholesterol, ...sucks getting older) I was just happy to gain size overall since I started, finding out about the CoC grippers really has helped me improve my grip, thereby being able to lift heavier weights.<br><br>
Posted by: Krasni

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 02/14/06 05:13 AM

Ok, and now we want to see the results... some pictures of our favourites bodyguards, please.<br><br>

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 02/14/06 10:39 AM

Oh Boy! I was afraid of this ...<br><br>

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 02/14/06 11:47 AM

Have you ever tried a PowerBall?<br><br>I really like it...you can really feel it in your wrists and forearms if you do it enough...as besides, it is fun and additive!<br><br><br><br>_______<br>

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 02/14/06 01:06 PM

I've tried something similar, is that also available through Iron Minds?<br><br>

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 02/14/06 01:10 PM

I just found it on Amazon, it's made by Dyna-Flex. I just may get one.<br><br>

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 02/14/06 01:35 PM

Yes, the Dyna-Flex is just like the one I have (From Here). The price at Amazon is pretty good.<br><br>I wish I had a meter though since it is so additive.<br><br>_______<br>

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 04/15/06 01:26 PM

I broke down and grabbed an Ironmind TTK...I really like this thing...really works the thumb!<br><br><br><br>My grippers to date. Starting from the left, lower corner, here is how I rank them: IM Guide, HG 100, IM Sport, HG 150, IM Trainer, BB Advance, IM 2004 #1, IM 2005 #1, HG 200, BB Master, IM 2005 #2, IM Filed #2, HG 250, BB Filed Supper Master, HG 300, IM 2005 #3, IM 2004 #3, BB Extended Elite, HG 500.<br><br><br><br>Here are several things I am using to help me CCS the #3. My goal grippers are a 2004 and 2005 #3. I am using a filed #2, filed Super Master, an extended Elite, and for fun, an HG 500. The straps I made are made from a $1 cargo strap that was cut and glued.<br><br><br><br>I also am working towards the Inch dumbbell...this offset dumbbell is kind of fun to play with.<br><br><br><br><br><br>_______<br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 04/15/06 01:51 PM

<br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 04/15/06 01:51 PM

I use Happy Fun Ball.<br><br><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1lesMk1MuyM"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1lesMk1MuyM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><br><br>

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 04/15/06 02:04 PM

You're looking good.<br>That Titan Telegraph Key should do a good job for you, congratulations.<br><br>I've gone back down to the #1 gripper to work the fingers individually.<br> I've come to realize that my two smallest fingers are holding me back.<br>I also like to use the #1 to concentrate on form.<br><br>I still don't think I'll ever close the #3.<br>I never intended to go for the #3.<br>But once I closed the #2 gripper, I had to find out what the #3 was like.<br>I've also come to realize that I am not Magnus Samuelsson.<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 04/15/06 02:11 PM

LOL <br><br>
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 04/15/06 02:52 PM

I hope I can count on calling you or Bigger when I need to open a jar for me or change the string on my weedwacker! I can't get the dumb thing off to wrap more string on it! <br><br>Kidding aside. I know we women could benifit from some weight lifting etc. Supposed to be good for bones, etc. I think I'd need a set of weights that came in ounces -- not pounds!<br><br>Interesting thread.<br><br>KateMate

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 04/15/06 04:02 PM

There are a lot of little fringe benefits of strength training.<br>I just did some extremely heavy yard work. <br>I was told to get a Bobcat but I did it by hand. Deadlifting definitely came in handy.<br><br>Weight training is extremely good for women also.<br>I remember when my goddaughter started weight lifting. <br>She wasn't a serious lifter but it made her feel a lot better.<br>After a couple months of weight training she would go through doors like she was John Wayne. <br><br>

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 04/15/06 06:39 PM

Actually, trouble with jars is one of the things that got me started training my grip!<br><br>I have arthritis in my left thumb and I found that building the muscles in my hand have made a huge improvement in both pain (all but gone now) and strength (could barely hold anything in my hand).<br><br>_______<br>

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 08/26/06 03:06 PM

I finally got around to rearranging my home gym...I now just need a bigger basement:<br><br>http://homepage.mac.com/biggerfoot/weightroom08262006/<br><br>I also traded a couple of grippers for a Hardy Handshake...it is different compared to grippers and will take some training to get used to:<br><br><br><br>I thought I would give some kettlebells a try and made a pair for $1!<br><br><br><br>_______<br>

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 08/26/06 07:05 PM

Impressive to the extreme! Congrats.<br>I especially love the Weider Club 500 bench, Hardy Handshake, and the Grip Machine.<br><br>Nothing too new with me except I did buy a couple more grippers the other day.<br><br>

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 08/27/06 08:15 AM

I picked up the Weider 500 for next to nothing several years ago. It was about the only decent rack that would fit in my basement. I really would like/could use a full cage though. However, even though I have a lat machine now, it is handy to have another pulldown for triceps extensions (one goal is circuit training where I do not have to take the time to adjust weights between sets).<br><br>I am still torn on the weight amounts on the grip machine and handshake. I am going real heavy on both but it is hard not to cheat on the handshake. I read where some use a skateboard under the handshake to keep them from cheating.<br><br>_______<br>

Re: Hey Topper...Getting a Grip? (Images) - 08/27/06 09:02 AM

If you are looking for strength you should go with low reps and heavy weights. <br>Cheating is not a bad thing. It is especially good for getting past sticking points.<br><br>