Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple?

Posted by: MacGizmo

Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/22/06 03:02 PM

According to this article, Disney will announce that they have acquired Pixar tomorrow afternoon. Being that Jobs will then own 6% of Disney, do you think he'll stay with Apple or move to an active role on the board at Disney?

If it is indeed true, I can see Jobs being on the board, and exerting all types of pressure to move tons of Disney content to iTMS and somehow tie-in Apple and Disney. This *could* be very big for Apple.

Of course, it probably also means the death of any sign of a decent animated film in our future too. <br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/22/06 03:19 PM

Actually, I see this as him renewing his focus on Apple. <br><br>Selling Pixar now is a good business move. It will never be worth more. Box office is way down overall and DVD sales have cooled. Who knows what the future holds. <br><br>For Disney, it's a good deal because they get all the money from the Pixar properties, plus the talent to generate more movies..which, based on their recent output, they sorely need. <br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/22/06 03:37 PM

Steve will not be leaving Apple. As it is now, he spends most of his time at Pixar. I don't see there is any reason for a big change. Just insert Disney for Pixar.<br><br>
Posted by: garyW

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/22/06 04:08 PM

"Of course, it probably also means the death of any sign of a decent animated film in our future too"<br><br>have you seen the promo for Cars? I think that "Pixar" may be able to blame Disney for this one if it all works out! <br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Ya think...? - 01/22/06 05:09 PM

<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Ya think...? - 01/22/06 06:00 PM

<br><br>. . . . . Here's lookin' at [color:red]you</font color=red> kid.

Re: Ya think...? - 01/22/06 06:22 PM

Introducing the G5 iMickey!<br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/22/06 06:28 PM

so the question is this:<br>will jobs stay IN CONTROL of apple or will he join the disney board to play A ROLE? he could do both, but there's no way he drops apple into someone else's hands. apple is his baby.<br><br>--<br>"I am mindful that diversity is one of the strengths of the country" --president bush on 9/27/05

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/22/06 06:42 PM

I think you've answered your own question. The man is a documented control freak.<br><br>

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/22/06 07:26 PM

yeah, but with good reason . . . i mean, MacWorlds are da bomb, eh? <br><br>--<br>"I am mindful that diversity is one of the strengths of the country" --president bush on 9/27/05
Posted by: carp

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/22/06 07:57 PM

Like I been saying all along - its a win win.<br><br>I really hope that this sale does not happen on Monday - I did not have the time to move my finances to buy Disney stock = Shiiiit<br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Ya think...? - 01/22/06 08:14 PM

You've seen these, right Steve?<br><br><br><br>Scary. <br><br><br>

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/22/06 08:20 PM

if you're thinking about buying disney, keep in mind that pixar is expensive enough that this purchase will probably dilute disney's earnings for several years. it could be a win for disney in the long run, but they are spending a lot of money that won't be made up for quite some time. i would even suggest that disney's stock will be priced about what it is this week when you check down the road.<br><br>and, i am not a stock analyst, but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night. <br><br>--<br>"I am mindful that diversity is one of the strengths of the country" --president bush on 9/27/05

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/22/06 08:31 PM

I tend to agree with that thinking - I've seen posts on other boards advising to buy Apple, and I would assume that a crapload of Apple people will rush to do so. Then of course sell it all back within a few weeks if Disney doesn't move much. <br><br>I'm sticking with my Apple stock, thank you. I'm holding this for my grandkids. Should be worth a couple bucks by then. <br><br><br>

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/22/06 08:35 PM

Like I said<br>Disney stock will take a dive to make the sale. - Time to Buy<br>I bet this time next year Disney will be upward in the 60 buck range <br><br><br>

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/22/06 08:44 PM

You mean, buy *after* the dive, right? <br><br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/22/06 09:10 PM

No no no. It's a special strategy. Buy high, sell low. It's much easier than the other way around, and it never ever fails. <br><br>. . . . . Here's lookin' at [color:red]you</font color=red> kid.

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/22/06 09:17 PM

You'll have to overlook/forgive Carp... he DOES live on an island, you know! <br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: Ya think...? - 01/22/06 09:26 PM

<br><br>-Foxsports.com
Posted by: Michael

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/22/06 09:28 PM

Intel, Disney what company that I despise will Jobs get in bed with next? Oh yeah M$. <br><br>-Foxsports.com

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/22/06 09:35 PM

Considering all that Disney owns - I would say this can mean nothing but good things for Apple. I can see it now... Tinkerbell flying around Disney Castle with an iPod!!!<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/22/06 11:01 PM

I heard a rumor that the next generation of motherboards were going to be made by Haliburton.<br><br>

Re: Ya think...? - 01/23/06 03:28 AM

Well I have now! <br><br>
Posted by: djstefan

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/23/06 08:51 AM

Nah, the profit margin is not high enough. <br><br>_________________________________________<br>Just a different kinda geek...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by djstefan on 01/23/06 11:51 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: RubenC

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/23/06 10:24 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Considering all that Disney owns - I would say this can mean nothing but good things for Apple. I can see it now... Tinkerbell flying around Disney Castle with an iPod!!!<p><hr></blockquote><p>Plus the fact that Pixar has a load of cash in their coiffeurs, everyone will be sitting pretty! Let's hope Steve goes into Disney and cleans house with all that overweight middle management. John Lasseter and his creative team will have a field day kicking out all the non-creative scum who have made it a living hell over at Disney. Oh joy happy days are here again!!<br><br>

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/23/06 11:16 AM

John Lasseter and his creative team will have a field day kicking out all the non-creative scum who have made it a living hell over at Disney. Oh joy happy days are here again!!<br><br>Slightly pessimistic thought here- you do everything by hand, correct? What if Job persuades Disney to do *everything* related to animation in the digital medium? Won't that put a bunch of traditional artists out of work?<br><br><br>

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/23/06 11:58 AM

They're already gone or been moved to the digital realm for a while now. Storyboarding is still done traditionally here AND at Pixar, it's just faster for the moment, but even they are starting the transition.<br><br>What I was referring to was all the "suits" (as we call them, the non-creative MBA's) who have been interfering with the creative decisions from story to execution for years because they want to make a name for themselves by trying to reinvent the wheel. And when a picture goes south they blame the creative talent and start axing artists left and right.<br><br>John Lasseter knows this and left Disney years ago with a few other artists to join Pixar, and the rest is history.<br><br>

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/23/06 12:09 PM

Who knows what will happen, but even though Jobs will own 6% of Disney, I doubt he'll have THAT MUCH influence over how Disney runs Disney business. We can only hope that Disney takes a little advice from Lasseter and Jobs on how to WOW people.<br><br>

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/23/06 01:22 PM

That's been the point debated here amongst the art community, me personally however, I don't see Jobs as a person who sits back and lets Iger and his cronies run his former company to the ground no less.<br><br>An interesting read here in the LA Times:<br>http://www.latimes.com/business/custom/c...-home-headlines<br><br>

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/23/06 01:59 PM

you're in luck . . . disney barely moved today. just down a tiny bit. buy, buy, buy away if you want . . . but don't say i didn't warn you.<br><br>--<br>"I am mindful that diversity is one of the strengths of the country" --president bush on 9/27/05
Posted by: TheGreatDivide

: P - 01/23/06 02:38 PM

Technology as a whole<br>is only as good, or makes as much sense<br>as the user themselves<br><br>Disney is the reason we were told in FLorida our vote on a tri city rail system is not going to happen ( as so many people die on the road )<br>and, well<br><br>what? Disney is where all the kdis are shipped when a hurricane blows through and they can't take the heat<br>Jeb Bush kisses the arse of ANY big biz that'll givem' kickbacks for Jesus err' crack or whatever.<br>And the hotels would close in many places to be torn down and turned into parks for kids in the hoods there <br>IF<br><br>we got our train system dammit<br>we voted<br>it was shot down by the idiot up there in Tallacrappy.<br><br>-<br>Mac to me is for professional artists<br>any HD fragmenting Windoze cry babies wait in line<br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/23/06 02:47 PM

If they screw with RenderMan in any bad way, I will nuke them.<br><br>

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/23/06 02:48 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p><br>will jobs stay IN CONTROL of apple or will he join the disney board to play A ROLE?<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>This is a precursor to Apple doing a hostile takeover of Disney ;)<br><br>

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/23/06 04:00 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>This is a precursor to Apple doing a hostile takeover of Disney ;)<p><hr></blockquote><p>You're assuming Sony doesn't buy Apple first! <br><br>

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/23/06 05:15 PM

last week, apple was barely worth more than disney (and dell for that matter). but, steve jobs is sort of like mike ditka . . . even little steve jobs has the potential to take over any company he eyes (e.g., microsoft if he wanted). i won't even discuss the steve jobs that we typically see give the keynotes. let's just say, the skies the limit (and, he might take that over as well).<br><br>--<br>"I am mindful that diversity is one of the strengths of the country" --president bush on 9/27/05

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/23/06 07:11 PM

[color:blue]You mean, buy *after* the dive, right?</font color=blue><br><br>Of course I meant after the dive , I bet Disney will drop pass the 20 buck range to around 18, 19 bucks. Hover there for about 6 months to a year. Now if Disney first DisPix movie is a bomb <- then all bets are off<br><br>AAPL is very compelling even at 80 bucks + split = 40 bucks kinda still to high.<br>But look at Apple future line up<br><br>1 - New Intel boxes = even I will be buying one.<br>2 - Strong iPod sales<br>3 - Software sales everyone will be upgrading or cross grading<br>4 - iWeb will double or triple .Mac accounts <br><br>If the Disney deal goes through and If ITMS gets all of Disney content<br>The Video iPod sales will go through the roof<br><br>IMO<br><br>

Re: Pixar is no more - will Jobs stay at Apple? - 01/24/06 06:28 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>last week, apple was barely worth more than disney<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Not much before that, Apple was worth zilch. ;)<br><br>