Anyone else try LinoType FontExplorer X?

Posted by: zwei

Anyone else try LinoType FontExplorer X? - 01/17/06 04:35 PM

I just installed LinoType FontExplorer X for the first time on my home machine and I have to say I am VERY impressed with this free application. Before today I had been using Suitcase X1 at work. I just saw the excellent reviews this product got on MacUpdate and decided to give it a whirl. The installation and setup is a breeze and the application seems to follow the same rules Apple's Font Book does when messing with Library and User fonts. (meaning they don't conflict with eachother). It also has plug-ins for QuarkXPress 6.5, InDesign and Illustrator CS and CS2 for automatic font activation.<br><br>It doesn't have any font "fixing" tools, but it does allow you to clean font caches easily and has a very iTunes-like way of managing the fonts. I will never personally buy another Font management application as long as this one is around. I'm VERY impressed. I'm going to test it thoroughly and make the suggestion that our office switches from Suitcase X1 to this app if I don't find something wrong with it. I am testing Suitcase Fusion and it doesn't impress me.<br><br>Anyone else try this app yet?<br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Anyone else try LinoType FontExplorer X? - 01/17/06 05:36 PM

Tried it - but it does say 'do not use in a production environment' for good reason - I work with way too many kinds of fonts and files for this to work for me...<br><br>I may be able to put it to use at home, where I have greater control over everything...<br><br>The only thing that annoyed me was that I had to uninstall EVERYTHING (Linotype as well as FAP) and start over when I wanted to switch back. <br><br><br><br>

Re: Anyone else try LinoType FontExplorer X? - 01/17/06 06:20 PM

What version did you try? <br><br>

Re: Anyone else try LinoType FontExplorer X? - 01/17/06 06:32 PM

Something that had '104' in it? Was still beta...<br><br><br>

Re: Anyone else try LinoType FontExplorer X? - 01/17/06 06:41 PM

The newest version is very impressive to me. Especially compared to the crap that is suitcase. What did you mean by you work with too many types of fonts for this program? As far as I know it works with every type of font I've ever heard of.<br><br>
Posted by: garyW

Re: Anyone else try LinoType FontExplorer X? - 01/17/06 06:50 PM

Have you tried FontAgent Pro as a comparison? <br><br>30 day demo: http://www.insidersoftware.com/DL_index.php<br><br>

Re: Anyone else try LinoType FontExplorer X? - 01/17/06 06:59 PM

Yes, I tried the 30 day demo. I didn't have problems with it on my machine, but my co-worker tried it on his machine and had a huge problem getting things to work. Due to that we decided we'd stick with suitcase even though it has massively slow activation when iChat is running ...Suitcase Fusion also seems slow, but not AS slow. It also quits, unlike X1. Every time I restart I have to force quit that damn app. <br><br>I'm crossing my fingers for FontExplorer ...so far it's done nothing but impress me.<br><br>

Re: Anyone else try LinoType FontExplorer X? - 01/17/06 07:25 PM

FAP works best for me, but I realize it's not for everyone. Takes a few restarts and cache cleanings to get it to work right - even for me - and I make sure to keep a backup set of all the fonts I import, because I was told by an Insider Software rep. that sometimes the library that FAP creates can get corrupted & the system reads them as Unix files.<br><br>Auto-activation isn't 100% perfect, but that may be due to all the duplicates I have among my 2400 fonts at work. It seemed like Linotype got confused with my library - it would activate some and not others, and when I manually overrode the program, it wound up *de*activating ALL the fonts in more than a few of my documents. <br><br>It's got potential, but I can't afford to play around with it at work. <br><br>If anyone's serious about using FAP, I've installed it and reinstalled more than a few times - and can offer some advice on how set it up and get it working nicely. <br><br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Anyone else try LinoType FontExplorer X? - 01/17/06 07:29 PM

WoW I thought all this font Bull Shiit was a thing of the past ! ! <br>I guess not <br><br>

Re: Anyone else try LinoType FontExplorer X? - 01/17/06 07:31 PM

I only have about 600 fonts on my work machine. I've already installed FontExplorer there to test it out ...iKnow it is beta, but at Final Release candidate 4 it can't be bad. Especially not with a 4.5 star rating on macupdate (out of 83 reviews)<br><br>
Posted by: Optimus_George

Re: Anyone else try LinoType FontExplorer X? - 01/17/06 07:32 PM

I used it for a couple of days and found that it didn't activate all the fonts I needed. I really like it and wanted to use it... but now that I'm using Adium as my chat app of choice, I'm having no noticeable Suitcase problems...<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Anyone else try LinoType FontExplorer X? - 01/17/06 10:38 PM

I have thousands of fonts loaded, with only around 20-30 active at any one time and it works perfectly. FEX is the best Font Manager for OSX around... especially considering the price! <br><br>

Re: Anyone else try LinoType FontExplorer X? - 01/18/06 10:39 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I used it for a couple of days and found that it didn't activate all the fonts I needed<p><hr></blockquote><p>That has been the case for every font manager I have ever tried. I always end up running into some stubborn font that either conflicts with another font ...or something else causes it to screw up. If it auto-activates 95% of the fonts that is perfectly fine with me! <br><br>

Re: Anyone else try LinoType FontExplorer X? - 01/18/06 10:42 AM

Yeah, I understand it's still not a perfect process, but at the same time a program shouldn't de-activate every font in the file when you manually activate a duplicate! That's what Linotype was doing for me...<br><br><br><br>

Re: Anyone else try LinoType FontExplorer X? - 01/18/06 10:44 AM

If you use it and like it I know it can't be too bad! Thanks!<br><br>

Re: Anyone else try LinoType FontExplorer X? - 01/18/06 10:50 AM

What was it? Two similar fonts like Futura and FuturaT ...I can see how that may screw things up. I have had problems with that in almost every font manager I've used since OS 9. <br><br>

Re: Anyone else try LinoType FontExplorer X? - 01/18/06 11:01 AM

I don't know what it is - maybe a preference you can set - but FAP seems to jive pretty well with dupes. That's why I continue to use it - I get so many fonts sent with projects from freelance designers, not to mention the library I have in-house, that any other program seems to self-destuct...<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Anyone else try LinoType FontExplorer X? - 01/18/06 11:05 AM

Well where I work we do pretty much everything in house so we don't have to worry about other peoples versions of the same fonts. We all use the same font library so I shouldn't run into that problem. <br><br>

Re: Anyone else try LinoType FontExplorer X? - 01/18/06 02:35 PM

Font management in OSX is still frustrating, no matter what app you use. Most often I find that apps like Suitcase, Fusion and FAP all try to do too many things. I just want it to activate the font when an app calls for it.&#13;&#10;
&#13;&#10;<ol>&#13;&#10; [*]I don't care if it's a duplicate&#13;&#10; </li>&#13;&#10; [*]I don't care if they *think* it's corrupt&#13;&#10; </li>&#13;&#10; [*]I don't want it organized&#13;&#10; </li>&#13;&#10; [*]I don't want it categorized&#13;&#10; </li>&#13;&#10; [*]I don't want it keyworded&#13;&#10; </li>&#13;&#10; [*]I don't want it previewed in my font list&#13;&#10; </li>&#13;&#10; [*]I don't want it protected in a vault or database&#13;&#10; </li>&#13;&#10;[/LIST]&#13;&#10;
[color:"#cc0000" size="6"]I JUST WANT THE F#CKING FONT ACTIVATED!</font> <br><br>

Re: Anyone else try LinoType FontExplorer X? - 01/18/06 04:16 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself. <br><br>So how often do you run into font activation problems with FE? Any funkiness with it saying the font is open but it not showing up in the apps? I hate having to restart apps to get friggin fonts to show up ...sometimes restart the whole damn machine...<br><br>

Re: Anyone else try LinoType FontExplorer X? - 01/18/06 06:02 PM

Call me anal-retentive, but I actually love the fact that FAP alphabetized and organized all my fonts for me...<br><br><br>

Re: Anyone else try LinoType FontExplorer X? - 01/18/06 07:00 PM

<p>I haven't had any issues with auto activation with FE. If FE has the font open, then it shows up in the app every time.&#13;&#10;</p>&#13;&#10;<p>The only thing that bothers me is when a font that you don't have is in a document, it pops open this annoying window asking if you want to activate it, buy it from the store, ignore the font in that app, ignore the font in all apps, ignore the app when font checking, etc. The upside is that you can customize this feature in the prefs.&#13;&#10;
&#13;&#10;</p>&#13;&#10;<p>FE allows you to keep your fonts where they are, or move/copy them to an organized folder of its own (you can specify where).&#13;&#10;</p>&#13;&#10;<p>Another nice feature is you can drag fonts out of FE and it will automatically create either a disk image, a .zip archive or simply COPY the fonts to a folder. Kind of like a "collect for output"&#13;&#10;</p>&#13;&#10;<p>It really is worth trying out.&#13;&#10;
&#13;&#10;</p><br><br>