Charging for In-Flight Food?

Posted by: MrsJonnyCat

Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 08:48 AM

Just came across an article about American West Airlines "test" of charging passengers for meals. If enough people prove to be willing to pay for their food, American West may begin selling food on all of its flights. <br><br>The larger American airlines are considering it, but don't know if they will implement it. Most didn't want to be the first to drop food completely or to start charging for it, but if American West takes the lead, others may be tempted to follow. Its a large cost that airlines have always wanted to eliminate completely, so it may be appealing to them. And of course, given the shape of the industry right now, they want to cut costs wherever possible.<br><br>I always take my own snacks, because I'm still starving after trying to stomach airline food. Here is a list of some of the food items on the American West menu and their price tags:<br><br>- $3 - ice cream<br>- $3 - Snackbox - cheese, crackers, nuts, jerky, cookies (you probably get two meesley pieces of each item).<br>- $5 - Oooh, say it isn't so, The Fancy Snackbox - hot sandwich, chips, salsa, chocolate bar.<br>- Other $5 items - cheese omelet sandwich, cinnamon bun, beef tenderloin patty melt, steak Caesar salad, chicken milano.<br>- $10 Chicken Kiev (just the thought of airline chicken kiev makes my stomach turn, why would I pay $10 to eat it).<br><br>Some European carriers (charters and low fare airlines) sell meals on their flights. I like American Airlines' idea better: they say they have no plans to sell food on its flights, but may drop in-flight food service altogether IF they can negotiate with airports to allow food vendors to sell food at the gate. <br><br><br><br><br>MrsJC<br><br>Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 09:01 AM

Any airline adopting this new policy is begging for trouble. They think it's tough dealing with food complaints now... wait 'til folks are paying extra for it!<br><br>I see mega-lawsuits, every time someone feels a little queazy after a meal.<br><br>What they SHOULD be serving is medication to knock us out for the flight. <br><br>

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 09:13 AM

yah, i like that idea - knocking us out! Flying is so boring, eating kills some time if I eat really slow, but being knocked out would pass the time much quicker! <br><br><br><br><br>MrsJC<br><br>Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug
Posted by: Giaguara

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 09:27 AM

Here in europe there are some cheap airlines.. eg. ryanair;<br><br>milan - london 1 way can be. e.g. 20 = 30 $.. food and meals cost, something like the ones you gave prices for.<br><br>alternatives: 200 - 300 $ one way. with the difference you go to eat to a really nice place after ;)<br><br>Giaguara<br>
Posted by: JonnyCat

for your dining pleasure... - 01/02/03 09:30 AM

http://www.airlinemeals.net<br><br>a neat website with pictures of what airlines around the world serve for breakfast/lunch/dinner<br><br>yum!<br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 09:41 AM

Considering what they try to pass off as food now, I don't think I would feel the loss if they dropped food service altogether. Does this mean the attendants will have more time to serve drinks instead? <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 10:10 AM

I don't consider meals served by the majority of airlines to be food. However, if that extra money will allow for real food to be served, then I vote yes. If I can get a diabetic meal, then I vote yes. If I can get a kosher meal, then I vote yes.<br><br><br>http://waleedsgallery.biz
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 10:15 AM

I replied over at MC Lounge<br><br>
Posted by: Giaguara

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 10:39 AM

i normally try to get eastern vegetarian; normal vegetarian sucks.. maybe next time i try to see if the fish is ok... :)<br><br>Giaguara<br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 01:44 PM

I haven't flown in awhile...but I would take my iPod now if I was to fly.<br><br>The food on British Air wasn't too bad...but for the most part all they give you on domestic flights is peanuts!!<br><br><br>[color:red]Don't make me open this on you!</font color=red><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 01:45 PM

So? Too good to post over here what you said? <br><br>Aww come on Swatcat...post it here. I don't visit MC at all..<br><br><br>[color:red]Don't make me open this on you!</font color=red><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 02:19 PM

Based on my inflight gastronomical experiences, most airlines should pay their passengers to eat that stuff!<br><br>[i]Good afternoon, sir. Please lower your seatback tray. Thank you. Now... would you like the beige, or the mauve? <br><br>

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 02:59 PM

We have a charter airline, Skyservice, where the food and service are very good. I have flown with them several times to Cuba and have always received first class attention. The food is quite good and for the fellas, seconds are available if you're still hungry.<br>If you fly AirCanada you are lucky if you get a tiny bag of pretzels.<br><br>
Posted by: bookrat

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 03:14 PM

I normally fly Singapore Airlines and I find the food quite good. The worst I ever had was on Pan Am (a loooooong time ago) from San Fran to Hong Kong and all I got was a couple tiny burgers wrapped in gladwrap.<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 05:58 PM

I normally fly Singapore Airlines and I find the food quite good<br>Very possible.<br><br>Here the JAL was rated as the best inflight food you could get = Asian fair.<br><br>Still the meals are mass produced between all airlines (they don't have Benehana chefs on board)<br><br>So the airlines orders the food from kitchens like - Sky Chefs or Chelsie international. At the cost of 5 to 10 dollars for lunch and 15 to 20 dollars for dinner. The meal size is determine by aircaft storage capabilities = always small and pre wrapped and ready to re-heat. Sorta like stacking TV diners.<br><br>Its all a moot point.<br>The airlines charge you for the meal in the price of the ticket to begin with, does not matter if you eat it or not - you have already paid for it in the price of the ticket.<br><br>My guess is;<br>The airlines whats to grab more money by making you pay for a meal. After all they do have a captive audience for the longest movie.<br><br>
Posted by: sross

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 06:28 PM

I like to get to the airport early and usually load up on pizza, etc before it is time to board. I also have a friend who "brownbags" his travel and gets his favorite sandwiches, chips and other snacks whenever he desires on the flight.He doesn't trust airline food.<br>Would I pay for a meal? Probably, if they had something interesting.<br><br>
Posted by: trey

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 06:34 PM

They ought to pay me to eat that poop!<br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 06:35 PM

Singapore Airlines - by far, the best airline I've ever flown with!<br><br>

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 06:43 PM

Trust me its included in the price of the ticket. If you eat it or not.<br>Maybe they should give you cash back if you don't eat the meal?? I don't know.<br><br>One thing is for sure is to bring your own food.<br><br>
Posted by: sross

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 06:51 PM

Don't get me wrong. I DO eat the food that they give me too.<br>All the way down to the cookie that tastes like cardboard.<br>I just have low expectations and eat the "fun" stuff before I board.<br><br>

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 07:04 PM

Just don't eat the Fish - I don't. <br><br>I feel that the airlines should get out of the food business altogether.<br>They should have food that you can purchase at the Gate. No forks or knives needed.<br><br>In general "Finger Foods" if Hot, the airline should provide a service to heat them up for you.<br><br>
Posted by: snag

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 08:01 PM

You're right that they should offer stuff you don't need utensils for, such as buffalo wings, spaghetti and soup <br><br>

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 08:04 PM

to the best of my knowledge i have never had a vegetarian of any kind <br><br>

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 08:06 PM

Or maybe they could lead in a game of charades <br><br>

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 08:07 PM

maybe they could put those practically useless gas masks that fall from the ceiling to good use <br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 08:35 PM

Me, I have had a vegetarian, or two or three. heh heh heh heh heh.<br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 08:49 PM

Do they taste like chicken? <br><br>

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 08:52 PM

More like rattlesanke, actually <br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 09:34 PM

Tomatoes????<br><br>

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 09:41 PM

Tomatoes are fruits. I'm into vegetarians <br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 09:47 PM

I'm a shellfish lover myself <br><br>

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 09:47 PM

they could cut a deal with Subway - something for everyone - hot, cold, no utensils needed, vegetarian, meat, and sustenance. I would pay $10 for a Subway sub while in flight, many times I have dreamt of one while on a plane! I would probably bid on one. <br><br>The cost is definitely worked into the ticket price, but if they sell the food, they drop the ticket price. Leads to competing during price wars and keeping the costs down. My preference is also for selling food at the gate, food with sustenance. The reheated prepackaged food has all the nutrients zapped out of it by the time it gets to passengers, leaving people hungry. <br><br><br><br><br>MrsJC<br><br>Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 09:48 PM

and a nice Merlot!<br><br>make sure you don't wear the white shirt <br><br><br><br><br>MrsJC<br><br>Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 09:57 PM

and the cost of fuel used to move the food from receiving to the plane, multiplied by the number of times per day this is done. The amount of fuel used is also dependent on the weight being carried. Then add on the cost of the truck driver salaries. It's not worth it to offer airline passengers food that doesn't have any quality. I would rather pay $10 for a Subway sub then have the price of the ticket jacked up to cover these costs. <br><br>The airline that is attempting this first with US domestic flights is only the 10th largest. And American will only consider it if they can offer passengers an alternative.<br><br><br><br><br><br>MrsJC<br><br>Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/02/03 10:00 PM

I'm with Marge! Take me to Cuba with you next time, Please??!! <br><br><br><br><br>MrsJC<br><br>Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/03/03 06:27 AM

I'm late to this party but my only comment is:<br><br>[/b]"YOU WANT ME TO PAY FOR THIS SH!T??? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?"[/b]<br><br><br>Visit Me At My .Mac Site
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/03/03 06:57 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>"YOU WANT ME TO PAY FOR THIS SH!T??? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?"<p><hr></blockquote><p>Come on, you can easily insert the "F" word 4 times in there... And then a "STUNNER"... Hehehe<br>**sound of broken glass**<br><br><br>http://waleedsgallery.biz
Posted by: lesh

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/03/03 08:23 AM

I've found vegetarians to be a little on the chewy side - must be all the nuts & twigs they eat. <br><br>

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/03/03 12:40 PM

Hey Ginny, Likely won't happen this year but for 2004, I want to organize a MacBabes week in Cuba. I think it would be a blast !!<br><br>

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/03/03 01:27 PM

I used to be a vegetarian until I got hungry <br><br>
Posted by: lesh

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/03/03 01:51 PM

Once long ago I shared a house with a bunch of vegetarians - and one night woke up to the smell of cooking food and when I went into the kitchen caught one of them frying up some breakfast snausages. <br><br>

Re: Charging for In-Flight Food? - 01/03/03 03:15 PM

Funny you mentioned that.<br>My ex wife was a long time vegie. After we split up I heard she was in the hospital.<br><br>Apparently she ate some meat - since her system was not used to meat it really screwed up her kidneys. Took her a year to recover.<br><br>This other guy at work a long time ago was a strict vegie.<br>We called him "Pink Eye" the whites of his eyes were pink just like a rabbit eye and he was no Albino either. This guy was constanly eating vegies like wheat grass and plants that I have never seen before. Finally I had to fire him, he was eating all day long - he had a hammer in one hand and wheat grass in the other.<br><br>