South of the border...

Posted by: steveg

South of the border... - 01/01/03 12:13 PM

Down 'Maricon waaaaaaaaayyyyyy.<br><br>Just heard a report on the local news, "Billary" Clinton — our charming and demure Senator from NY State — is calling for a U.S./Canadian Border Patrol to be formed as part of the Dept. of Homeland Security. <br><br>Youse Canuks really have to stop sending them Islamic Terrorist types down here. Nowuhmsayin'? <br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 12:21 PM

Thats because our friendly Canuks are non bias.<br>Wa they just feel that them boys are going duck hunting with tha machines guns.<br><br>They must have passed US customs at the boarder too - or is it just Canadians at the crossings?<br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 01:13 PM

It's not the official border crossings that are the problem. The Canada/US border has thousands of miles of "unofficial" crossings, just like the US/Mexico has. Still, I think it a huge waste for the American taxpayer to have stepped up border patrols. From what I have seen, it is just as easy for a terrorist to enter the US as it is Canada.<br><br><br><br>

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 01:21 PM

This is all in resonse to the recent reports of a handful of Middle Eastern guys possibly entering the U.S. illegally via Canada. Once again, a day late and a dollar short. <br><br>

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 01:35 PM

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the reports were true. Still, what are the chances of actually catching someone trying to sneak across the border. How many patrol guards could you possibly have to prevent an occurance? <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 01:35 PM

true, but it's difficuilt for us to judge decisions regarding security issues since we don't have all the information that the decisionmakers have.<br><br>

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 01:53 PM

The thing is that the Mexico and Cuban points of entry are closely monitored by land sea and air. Yes some do still get through.<br><br>The Canadian boarder ARE not closely watch like the southren boarder is. Before what we got was Canadian Comedians snicking in Now and because the northren boarder is NOT closely watched it could become an easy entry point into the US.<br><br>What the US wants from Canada is for them to perform a closer inspection of (Who is entering Canadas boarders) in the FIRST Place. Before they even get to the US boarder - That would really help the US.<br><br>Seems to me that Canada just lets ANYONE fly in and where they goes nobody knows.<br><br>

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 01:53 PM

I have no doubt that there are facts unknown to the general public, and I don't mean to oversimplify the issue or diminish its importance. Just please don't remind me that the former First Lady is a "decision-maker". You want me to have nightmares? <br><br>

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 02:12 PM

Too true I'm afraid. Yes, Canada has let in some very undesirables. Supposedly our fine government is going to do something about it. Not without a little arm twisting from Uncle Sam I imagine. Still, the US is not perfect either. Mistakes were made. Those guys who flew those planes into the towers were there LEGALY !! <br><br><br><br>

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 02:20 PM

Well 4 were here illegally.<br>INS did not do their job.<br><br>
Posted by: snag

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 02:24 PM

Seems to me that Canada just lets ANYONE fly in and where they goes nobody knows.<br><br>You haven't got a clue what you are talking about. You haven't got the foggiest idea what service performs immigration checks in Canada, let alone what it checks for or who they let in. You know almost NOTHING about Canada Carp, except what you what see on Fox News.<br>I'll also remind you many of Canada's resources are spent stopping Americans from crossing the border with weapons, and that U.S. criminals are often apprehended in Canada.<br>And another thing, Canada is a free country, people can LEAVE the country anytime they want. They have no say over who the U.S. lets in.<br>The latest wanted group that may have crossed the border were travelling on British passports. I don't hear any whining about how or why Britain issued passports to these supposedly suspicious characters. Furthermore, they are not even wanted for anything other than questioning by the FBI. They have committed no known crime and have no known links to terrorism. In fact, nobody even knows if they even entered the U.S.. They were under surveillance by the R.C.M.P. but the FBI lost them at the border. Somehow, the FBI forgot to notify the INS that they were on the lookout for this bunch.<br><br>

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 02:35 PM

Okay big guy<br><br>

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 03:26 PM

Do NOT get me started on the INS! If they gave the real bad guys half the hassle they gave us when we were adopting our girls, Dubya would have to watch re-runs of Dragnet to find his "Evil-Doers".<br><br>
Posted by: sross

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 03:36 PM

"Don't get me started on the INS...."<br>But it had to be worth the effort and hassle. The girls are lovely and look very happy.<br><br>

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 03:46 PM

Shhhh. Don't let them hear that. Their heads wil get even bigger. But yeah, they were worth the trouble. I'd have swun to China and Colombia if I had to. <br><br>

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 03:59 PM

snag, I live here and I have to say carp is partly correct, unfortunately. The problem we face is not the legal immigration but our lax laws on so- called refugees who flush their passports down the toilet on the plane and claim refugee status when they reach immigration. These folks know exactly what forms to ask for when they get here. Trust me, they are treated WAY better than any legal immigrant. <br>I bet 1 in a hundred is legit. <br><br><br><br>

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 05:10 PM

Marg, with all due respect, i have also lived there and have known many immigrants and even some refugees. In fact i have been to Immigration Canada offices in Toronto and i have accompanied a friend who was interviewed for a visa. I have also worked with immigration lawyers who's job it was to help immigrants get Landed Immigrant Status. I can tell you that it is far from easy for many people to get legal status in Canada and the waiting list for some is measured in years.<br><br>Seems to me that Canada just lets ANYONE fly in and where they goes nobody knows<br><br>The is utter baloney. Canada does not let just ANYONE fly and then just forget about them. Of course there are those who try to cheat the system. This has nothing to do with having a laissé faire immigration system that just opens the door to anybody as Carp suggests. Are there problems? Of course there are. Name a country that doesn't have them. Does Canada award legal status to anybody just for the asking? Of course they don't. Do some "refugees" disappear into the woodwork? No doubt about it. Does Canada try to find them and deport some? Of course they do. To flat out suggest that Canada doesn't care or is an open door to anyone is just plain wrong, and that's what Carp, without any evidence to back up what he says, suggested.<br><br><br><br>

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 05:18 PM

I dunno, snag... They let that JonnyCat feller into the country a few months back! What if he smuggled in some o' them farting dawgs? Nah, I think ol' carp's on to something big! <br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 05:21 PM

We interupt this arguement with the following important post....<br><br><br>[color:red]Don't make me open this on you!</font color=red><br>

Snag I hate to say this but.<br><br>A terrorist is NOT looking for permenate statis.<br>They simply get a passport - buy a plane ticket - visit as TOUREST. Once there they disapear.<br><br>

[img]http://homepage.mac.com/rougeuxj/.Pictures/banana.gif[/img][img]http://homepage.mac.com/rougeuxj/.Pictures/banana.gif[/img][img]http://homepage.mac.com/rougeuxj/.Pictures/banana.gif[/img][img]http://homepage.mac.com/rougeuxj/.Pictures/banana.gif[/img][img]http://homepage.mac.com/rougeuxj/.Pictures/banana.gif[/img][img]http://homepage.mac.com/rougeuxj/.Pictures/banana.gif[/img]<br><br>[img]http://homepage.mac.com/rougeuxj/.cv/rougeuxj/Sites/.Pictures/Photo Album Pictures/2002-12-08 17.04.48 -0800/ImageIMG_2374.jpg-thumb_140_105.jpg[/img]<br>[color:red]Don't make me open this on you!</font color=red><br>

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 05:45 PM

You're probably right Carp, assuming that they can even get into the country without a visa. But this is NOT what you said. Perhaps you should choose your words more carefully so they better reflect what it is you are actually trying to say. You said ANYONE (your emphasis) can go to Canada and just disappear. This is just flat out wrong. Canada deports around ten thousand people every year. It's true that there are tens of thousands unaccounted for but the number in the U.S. is more than ten times higher. Does this mean that because people vanish that either country doesn't care? Of course it doesn't. Does it mean that because people vanish that ANYONE can simply show up at the border and then vanish. Of course it doesn't. Does it mean that more can be done to prevent it from happening? Probably. <br><br>

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 05:49 PM

LOL<br><br>OK OK i get the message <br><br>I'm sorry i get so defensive sometimes but when someone makes unsubstantiated blanket statements about something they apparently know very little about it really rankles me.<br><br>

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 05:51 PM

Yeah but them fartin' dogs could be a big international export! Everybody will want one! Fartin' dogs could become The Next Big Thing! <br><br>

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 05:53 PM

Geez Steve i had no idea. That's an amazing thing you have done. How about some pictures some time?<br><br>

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 05:55 PM

Well, that's ok Snag <br><br><br><br><br>[color:red]Don't make me open this on you!</font color=red><br>

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 06:04 PM

Well..this is my blanket statement about Linux <br><br><br><br><br>[color:red]Don't make me open this on you!</font color=red><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by OSXaddict on 01/01/03 09:06 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 06:04 PM

Simply Tourist VISAs are very easy to get. Before you just get a phoney passport and say that you are going on a business trip to the US for a Day or two. Then slip away.<br><br>Now its different flying into the US after 911.<br>So now Canada is easier to fly into and then slip across the boarder. Yeah its another step or hassel.<br><br>But<br><br>Since the Mexico boarder is more closely watched - ya chances are better going through Canada.<br><br>

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 06:07 PM

Yeah but that's a cool blanket statement.<br><br>

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 06:08 PM

Gee i had no idea you were an expert of Canadian visa requirements and immigration. Who'd o' thunk it.<br><br>

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 06:13 PM

Well... if you insist. <br><br><br>Heather is now almost 24 (next month). Brought her home from Bogota when she was 5 months old. And Hannah, 9, came home from Wuhan Province at 10 months old. Heather lives in Boston, so they email each other all the time. Big sis advises Hannah as to which buttons to push to get around Mom and Dad, and in return, lil' sis corrects Heather's spelling! <br><br>

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 06:13 PM

No just the US ones.<br><br>But You seem to be???<br><br>

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 06:23 PM

Then you admit you have absolutely no knowledge on which to base your baseless statements Carp? I don't profess to be an expert on anything. Nor do i make statements that imply that i am or that i can't substantiate.<br><br>

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 06:29 PM

Steve you're one lucky man you are. Great looking daughters! Well done! <br><br>Thanks for sharing that! <br><br>

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 06:35 PM

<br><br>

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 07:09 PM

Great looking kids you have there Steve! <br><br><br>[color:red]Don't make me open this on you!</font color=red><br>

Re: South of the border... - 01/01/03 07:10 PM

Ok you two..don't make me bring out the others! <br><br><br><br><br>[color:red]Don't make me open this on you!</font color=red><br>