White trash in the media

Posted by: trey

White trash in the media - 11/30/05 03:16 PM

Alright, so I've got a small paper due in the morning on harmful stereotypes in the advertising media. I'm thinking I'll do mine on white trash. I've already got the two examples I need (The Dukes of Hazard and Joe Dirt), but I was hoping for something a little better.<br><br>So, can anyone think of anything relatively current in the mass media that portrays white trash in a steroetypical fashion? Sorry if it seems like I'm asking you guys to do my homework (believe me, I'm not), [sucking up]but I just thought that if I got the great minds of MacMinute together on something, I might get some good results[/sucking up]. And besides, I'm getting a late start and cant find any examples that really grab me.<br><br>I'm sure this'll degrade into debauchery within two hours.<br><br>
Posted by:

Re: White trash in the media - 11/30/05 03:32 PM

I'd do a paper on how the white guy in the commercial is never as clever as the black guy. Or how the snappy, sophisticated bitch-of-a-wife always treats her fat, balding husband like an idiot at the car dealer.<br><br>Or how advertising's idea of "all the races together in a one commercial about a fun night out at T.G.I. Appletuesday" are represented with three white guys and a black guy. Latinos and Asians must always eat at home.<br><br>I should complain about this more.<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: White trash in the media - 11/30/05 03:41 PM

Probably not of use to you, but here's what I hate:<br><br>The man-bashing of the jewelry commercials. <br><br>"Guys....you're not going to be able to get away with buying your wife a used car battery again this year...so take your dumb, stupid, unsophisticated, moronic self down to ______ Jewelers and spend all of your money."<br><br>Also, along the lines of what Sam mentioned.....it's the new Hollywood comedy template. <br><br>All white people are uncool, until they are scolded by the black character to be more hip and cool. By the end of the film, they have a gold chain, a sports jersey and are well-versed in the ways of the bliggityfoshizzle. <br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: White trash in the media - 11/30/05 03:51 PM

I grew up in an all-white trailer park in a rural part of Utah. Would you like an interview? <br><br>

Re: White trash in the media - 11/30/05 03:53 PM

The proper white trash pronounciation is "treller." <br><br>

Re: White trash in the media - 11/30/05 03:55 PM

Maybe all my skoolin' has made me useless to poor Trey <br><br>But then, we were aristocrats anyway - we had a double-wide!<br><br>

Re: White trash in the media - 11/30/05 03:59 PM

Not to get too serious, but there's actually no shame in living in a trailer, a double-wide or even a trailer park. <br><br>The thing a lot of people don't understand about White Trash is that it is an entire culture...with a clearly defined set of behaviors, norms and so on. A lot of people mistakenly think modern white trash is like the country bumpkin/Jethro/Bubba set of yesteryear, but it's not that at all. <br><br>The most famous white trasher right now is Britney Spears, followed by Dog The Bounty Hunter on A&E. That's the most White Trash show on television. <br><br>

Re: White trash in the media - 11/30/05 04:09 PM

Wait...<br><br>I think I can hear Trey taking notes. Ok, carry on. <br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: White trash in the media - 11/30/05 04:10 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>But then, we were aristocrats anyway - we had a double-wide!<p><hr></blockquote><p>Well! I've had two mobile homes, er, trailers in two parks. Does that equal one double-wide.<br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson

Re: White trash in the media - 11/30/05 04:22 PM

Yeah, you just have to push them together.<br><br>Don't laugh! I've seen people do it! <br><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: White trash in the media - 11/30/05 04:24 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> Well! I've had two mobile homes, er, trailers in two parks. Does that equal one double-wide.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Uh, no. Some stuff just isn't additive. You're only as good as the pipe you just laid. Otherwise we would all be measuring in the thousands of feet (and that's just from practicing!)<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>(__*__) <-- circular sig when standing

Re: White trash in the media - 11/30/05 04:24 PM

It really is cheap housing. Where else can you buy a new home for $30-$40K?<br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: White trash in the media - 11/30/05 04:41 PM

"King of the Hill" comes to mind...<br><br> <-- octagonal signature<br>
Posted by: trey

Re: White trash in the media - 11/30/05 05:13 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. I guess I should have mentioned the fact that i need to turn in a printout or copy of the ad with the paper, so online sources would be best.<br><br>And what I mean by the white trash stereotype is something along the lines of the white trash guy on The Simpsons. The idea of the assignment is to point out harmful stereotypes.<br><br>It occurs to me that the one thing that ties together all of our associations (or at least the one I'm after) is poverty. They're made fun of for living in low-rent housing, wearing old and work out clothes, speaking improper English, being lazy, and any other myriad items you can think of. <br><br>
Posted by: Optimus_George

Re: White trash in the media - 11/30/05 05:14 PM

I've seen someone push 3 together and connect them with aluminum and plywood. They're all of varying lengths, heights and colors. It's quite the amalgam.<br><br>
Posted by: bird

Re: White trash in the media - 11/30/05 05:32 PM

The first character i thought of was Roseanne<br>This link might help....or not...just my 2 cents <br>White Trash<br> and there is always Anna Nicole, <br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: White trash in the media - 11/30/05 06:47 PM

[color:blue]Well! I've had two mobile homes, er, trailers in two parks. Does that equal one double-wide</font color=blue><br><br>So you had a vacation home - what kind of white trash are you <br><br>

Re: White trash in the media - 11/30/05 07:07 PM

Well I might not be of much help - Coming from a State that has NO trailer parks whatsoever, even those giant RC vans are rare. So I have no experience with white trash = trailer park kind of folks.<br><br>[color:blue]harmful stereotypes in the advertising media</font color=blue><br><br>Since I have no experience with white trash - Soooo what I know about white has to come from the media - this is the "Harmful" part.<br><br>White trash;<br>Poor = money<br>Poorly educated = dumb arses <br>Poor english and grammar skills = white mans ebonics <br>Babes are easy and the men are rednecks.<br><br>I know all of that through the media <-- isn't the media just great <br><br>

Re: White trash in the media - 11/30/05 07:16 PM

The thing is, everyone wants to equate being white trash with economic status. It has nothing to do with that. <br><br>There is plenty of rich white trash. It's a way of life, not a circumstance. <br><br>

Re: White trash in the media - 11/30/05 07:31 PM

LOL<br>We don't even use that phrase here "white trash" when describing a person.<br>We just go strait to the 4 letter variety which is more descriptive - "bumb" "prick" "arse" and so on and its bounded by no color <br><br>
Posted by: lanovami

Re: White trash in the media - 11/30/05 08:06 PM

Think beer commercials.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle
Posted by: drjohn

Re: White trash in the media - 11/30/05 09:19 PM

[color:blue]So you had a vacation home - what kind of white trash are you</font color=blue><br><br>Wrong, dino drawers , we lived in them while I was in school. Both were paid for and park rental was much lower than apartment rental. Never had, nor needed, a vacation home because I never took vacations.<br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson