The Champion Pig

Posted by: yoyo52

The Champion Pig - 11/22/05 08:06 AM

I just checked my email, and had 51 (fifty-one!!) emailsl with virus-infected attachments in zipped files. That's by far the most I've ever had in a single day. It's become a pain to check email <br><br>. . . . . Here's lookin' at [color:red]you</font color=red> kid.
Posted by: trey

Re: The Champion Pig - 11/22/05 08:11 AM

I just took offline an address that was getting something like 100-150 spam messages a day. It was truly a pain.<br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: The Champion Pig - 11/22/05 08:18 AM

Yahoo's email seems to be pretty effective at keeping out the spam, while also leaving my private home address free of all the crap. I would seriously look into the 'Plus' plan that Yahoo offers - $20 a year and you lose the ads as well as get the ability to download to a POP client, etc.<br><br>I realize Google offers the same thing for free, but I already had the free Yahoo address so for me it was a matter of convenience as well.<br><br><br><br> <-- octagonal signature<br>
Posted by: trey

Re: The Champion Pig - 11/22/05 08:31 AM

It also has to do with the user name you select. For the one that was getting spammed, I chose treyp@. That turned out to be a bad idea, as the spammers use all variations of first names and last initials and other crap (treynolds was one that come thgough a lot) to try and get into your inbox. I now have an email address that's a little more complicated, and I never get spam on it.<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: The Champion Pig - 11/22/05 08:42 AM

Yahoo is good...I used theirs for awhile. I've been exclusively using Gmail for over a year, and I've forgotten what Spam is. Maybe one gets through a week, and never any false positives. <br><br>And, of course, I can change my ISP at will...never worrying/caring about having to give people a new e-mail address. <br><br>

Re: The Champion Pig - 11/22/05 08:53 AM

Well, I just added another rule to my filter. I think that should take care of the problem. I hope! I do have a Yahoo account, but I can't not live without my school email, and that's where most of the crap is being sent to.<br><br>. . . . . Here's lookin' at [color:red]you</font color=red> kid.

Re: The Champion Pig - 11/22/05 08:56 AM

You could always having a rule that forwards your school email to Yahoo, and maybe that will filter out more of the spam...<br><br><br><br> <-- octagonal signature<br>
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: The Champion Pig - 11/22/05 09:08 AM

I have been using SpamFire for years and it still catches 99% of my Spam.<br><br>Plus, I use SP@MX to report all of the SPAM to the ISPs...a little fun revenge...it also reports all of the eBay and PayPal spoofs. I have reported over 4300 Spams in the past few months.<br><br>

Re: The Champion Pig - 11/22/05 10:47 AM

The new rule is moving the crap to the Junk folder. BF--that revenge sounds sweet!<br><br>. . . . . Here's lookin' at [color:red]you</font color=red> kid.

Re: The Champion Pig - 11/22/05 10:49 AM

Best policy, in all seriousness, is to add EVERYONE you regularly expect emails from to your address book.<br><br>Then create one rule that sends emails from everyone not on the list into the junk folder..<br><br>Works well for me - I think I picked that up from someone else on here...<br><br> <-- octagonal signature<br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: The Champion Pig - 11/22/05 04:35 PM

They seem to come in waves. I no soner got connected this afternoon after being dark since Saturday, and I had 10 or 11 between my .Mac and business accounts. Mail just dumps most of them right into the trash automatically.<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: The Champion Pig - 11/22/05 07:30 PM

[color:blue]It also has to do with the user name you select.</font color=blue><br><br>Humm interesting concept <br>The only spam I get at .mac mail is from Apple<br>However the PCs at work are a joke - a coworker got the new "sober worm" today, and it immediately started firing off more worms via the companies addy list. Our anti virus software was smart enough to block the sending of infected email but sure was dumb enough to let it in - in the first place.<br><br>

Re: The Champion Pig - 11/22/05 09:01 PM

It's that sober worm stuff that I've been getting. It seems to have stopped, though--I haven't gotten any at all since about noon.<br><br>. . . . . Here's lookin' at [color:red]you</font color=red> kid.