New York City

Posted by: steveg

New York City - 11/17/05 01:36 PM

I came from Boston to this to this town in ’98. Within months, I had decided that I could never live anywhere else again. This place can do that to you. Then, a year and a half ago I moved to Boca Raton for personal reasons. Career-wise (and financially) it proved to be a bad decision. So last July, back to NYC I came, full of optimism and enthusiasm. Manhattan would fix whatever was broken.<br><br>Not so, it turns out. In the year I was gone, I lost too much momentum, and haven't gained the traction needed to recover that momentum. To make matters worse, the cost of living had risen another 6% since I last lived here. <br><br>It was time to make important decisions. It was time to go home: where we have family; where I still have a strong professional network and very promising business prospects; and where a really nice apartment can be had for literally 50¢ on the NY dollar! <br><br>So this Sunday, we’re moving back to Boston. I was up there a couple of weeks ago for interviews and was amazed at how Boston has changed, and how it’s stayed the same. And even more amazed at how excited I was to be in a place I thought I had permanently dissed 7 years ago.<br><br>I’ll be offline between Sahtiday and Toozday ahftanoon, but will be bahk with my Bahst’n accent. <br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: New York City - 11/17/05 01:38 PM

Time for a new snowblower! <br><br>Wave 'hi' to me in CT on your way up...<br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: New York City - 11/17/05 01:40 PM

i don't know much about boston (i will only be making my first trip to boston early next month), but i'd move there in a heartbeat based upon its reputation. i hope things work out well and very quickly for you. sorry to hear about NYC.<br><br>--<br>"I am mindful that diversity is one of the strengths of the country" --president bush on 9/27/05
Posted by: Walrus

Re: New York City - 11/17/05 01:45 PM

Will you have to buy a cah when you get thyah?<br><br>[color:red]Bibo, ergo sum</font color=red>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: New York City - 11/17/05 01:46 PM

I got you a moving present.<br><br><br><br>

Re: New York City - 11/17/05 01:54 PM

You'd have to be wicked insane to want to drive a cahh in Bahhstahhn.<br><br>

Re: New York City - 11/17/05 01:57 PM

Yep. Got rid of the one I had leased in Florida almost as soon as we got back to NY, so now I have to get something pretty quickly. Who knew? <br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: New York City - 11/17/05 01:59 PM

As the great 20th century philosopher Kenny Rogers once said...you gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. Sounds like a good plan, and I know you'll be successful. <br><br>Now go teach all them bahstads how to drive! <br><br>

Re: New York City - 11/17/05 01:59 PM

Not my favorite feature of Massachusetts, but ya gots to have one theyah.<br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: New York City - 11/17/05 03:06 PM

Welcome back! Now don't do anything foolish like use your directional or something. Harvey, Dickie and Bruce will let you know when to wear your galoshes as always. <br><br><br>

Re: New York City - 11/17/05 03:13 PM

LOL! I miss those guys. In fact, when I was there earlier this month, I was glad to see the Chronicle is still on the air. Mary's still there, but didn't Peter Mehegan used to co-host?<br><br>

Re: New York City - 11/17/05 03:18 PM

It ain't New York. But it's still a world-class city. I'll miss NYC, and I had a good run here while it lasted. But sometimes you gotta follow the path of least resistance.<br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: New York City - 11/17/05 04:10 PM

I just looked at Drudge and saw this:<br><br>SMALL QUAKE KNOCKS BOSTON-AREA...<br><br>I knew you were small, but that powerful?<br><br>Have a good move.<br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson

Re: New York City - 11/17/05 04:19 PM

Nah. Plymouth Rock just turned over. <br><br>
Posted by: RubenC

Re: New York City - 11/17/05 04:38 PM

My wife and I vacationed several years ago in the east coast, and one of our stops was Boston. I have to say, we really enjoyed our time there and said we wanted to come back to visit again someday. Good luck to you Steve, I'm sure all will go well for you back to where you started from.<br>Now we will have one more reason to come over and visit Boston again.<br><br>

Re: New York City - 11/17/05 05:10 PM

Sure. Lemme know when you're coming, and I'll hold a pahkin' space for ya. <br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: New York City - 11/17/05 05:13 PM

Wish I could move up there again, Steve! Hope your decision serves you well.<br><br>. . . . . Here's lookin' at [color:red]you</font color=red> kid.

Re: New York City - 11/17/05 05:34 PM

Well, if it doesn't, there's always that overpass on Storrow Drive near Mass Geneneral. Very well sheltered and a river view! <br><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: New York City - 11/17/05 05:36 PM

I've got a table reserved at GameOn the new restaurant at Fenway Park. Can you believe they got rid of the bowling alley?<br><br>The one thing that has really changed in Boston is the food. When I visited Manhattan I could never believe how good the food was. It was that extra 10% good. From the deli to the noodle house off Canal Street all of the food was amazing. But Boston has caught up somewhat. The Indian, Thai are now top notch. The Italian and Chinese which I always was disappointed as Americanized gravy gruel have become great. And you can find rows of good restaurants in Waltham on Moody Street. Tucked away in Lexington, South Shore, all over the place, not just Indian only in Central Square.<br><br>So welcome back and pray they finish the big dig in this century.<br><br><br><br><br>(__*__) <-- circular sig when standing

Re: New York City - 11/17/05 05:38 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>You'd have to be wicked insane to want to drive a cahh in Bahhstahhn.<p><hr></blockquote><p>[censored].<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>(__*__) <-- circular sig when standing

Re: New York City - 11/17/05 05:44 PM

Speaking of Waltham, is the Iguana Cantina still there? I love that place. Except that you can't here yourself think in there. I did get spoiled by the Chinese food here, but the real stuff in China Town was always pretty good. Used to go for dimsum lunches when I worked across from South Station. For Italian I had a few fav's in the North End.<br><br>

Re: New York City - 11/17/05 06:01 PM

Central Square just ain't what it used to be, though--gentry gentry everywhere! I remember when Cambridgeport was a place where you could actually afford to live. Hah!<br><br>. . . . . Here's lookin' at [color:red]you</font color=red> kid.

Re: New York City - 11/17/05 06:03 PM

Iguana is still there. Least I think so. It's been a while since I've had a coconnutty drink there. <br><br>Dim Sum is still served in China Town Bahstan. The cool thing is after walking out of Ocean Paradise or China Pearl you can then walk up to the Aquarium and the North End to Modern Pastry or Mike"s (Moderns is better) for a Lobstah Claw (cream filled) and an expresso without walking under the Expressway. I still can't get over it. Once the thing is covered and grass and trees are planted I will be down there every Sunday morning. Picture Fanuaeil Hall and the North End without anything in between. Wicked pissah.<br><br>But this month they are paving all of Atlantic Ave so best to avoid it for the moment. China Pearl has a rest. right on 128 in Woburn and the trick is to say "we'll sit in the bar" and you get a seat right away even at 11AM Sunday (this is good for Red Sox as they have plasmas)<br><br>(__*__) <-- circular sig when standing
Posted by: iRock

Re: New York City - 11/17/05 06:15 PM

Good luck, are you gonna have to getta cah?<br><br>oh yeah, that's going in the blog

Re: New York City - 11/17/05 08:54 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> [censored]<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Hey, just because you're beaten down and accustomed to it doesn't make ME a [censored]. <br><br>Besides, have you seen I-95 in CT during rush hour? I don't wanna hear it....<br><br>
Posted by: Topper

Re: New York City - 11/17/05 09:09 PM

Oh man, Steve, I am very sorry to hear that.<br>I certainly hope things turn around for you.<br><br>
Posted by: Topper

Re: New York City - 11/17/05 09:24 PM

Charles Stewart?<br><br>

Re: New York City - 11/18/05 05:22 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Central Square just ain't what it used to be, though--gentry gentry everywhere! I remember when Cambridgeport was a place where you could actually afford to live. Hah!<p><hr></blockquote><p> Lived on Magazine just up from the river pre biotech boom. Rented a whole house I think my share was 200 a month. Uh yeah. "Nice place, why are poor people here??? Out out out, and stay out!"<br><br>Cambridgeport is one of the only places I had to apply mace to three ruffians so at the time I wasn't disconsolate when I found a spot on the other side of Cambridge Ringe and Latin. I wished I was smart enough to go see Marcus Camby play in the gym across the street from my three decker but nope.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>(__*__) <-- circular sig when standing
Posted by: srumrill

Re: New York City - 11/18/05 10:09 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I was glad to see the Chronicle is still on the air. Mary's still there, but didn't Peter Mehegan used to co-host?<p><hr></blockquote><p>Chronicle - one of my favorite shows! I Tivo it every night. Peter Mehegan semi-retired about 2 months ago. He pops up every once and a while for a segment or two - usually a "Main Streets and Back Roads" or he'll narrate a show. The new guy they have to replace him is pretty good however. Show is still great. Hasn't lost it's New England touch. Welcome back to the Bean!!<br><br>Now you'll have to subscribe to Yankee Magazine, and you'll offically be back.<br><br>

Re: New York City - 11/18/05 10:12 AM

Hey, I lived on Irving Street, one block north of Rindge & Latin, between Cambridge and Kirkland streets. I remember walking past the HS when Patrick Ewing was going there, and seeing this one kid who just towered over everyone else. <br><br>. . . . . Here's lookin' at [color:red]you</font color=red> kid.

Re: New York City - 11/18/05 10:48 AM

OMG, (in valley speak falsetto) It was Patrick Ewing who was playing when I was there. (Not a huge bball fan so Camby Ewing ...). Always wore a grey tee shirt under uniform. I was 20 feet over on Adams Terrace one street over from Irving. 1982-85 or so. <br><br>So did you ever buy tiger meat from that grocery store at the end of Trowbridge? Was that Savenor's? I think it is not there anymore but I would go back there and check out the weird stuff they had.<br><br>check it out.<br><br>I could never believe the amount of bubblegum stuck on the sidewalk in front of the drugstore right there. I guess you spit it out as you walk in for a fresh load. Ah right next to the laundry which did a fluff and fold for an economical price. <br><br>There is a parking garage 50 feet the other side of Irving on Cambridge St. I still pull into at least four times a year. Free faculty parking 24-7. Quarterly review harvard biolabs.<br><br><br> <br><br><br>(__*__) <-- circular sig when standing

Re: New York City - 11/18/05 05:20 PM

I went in Savenors a couple of times but never bought anything. Too expensive. We always shopped at that grocery store on Cambridge St.--forget the name. It's still there. It was where Julia Child shopped. She lived on Irving St. too, only on the north side of Kirkland, where the money was.<br><br>The house I lived in was interesting. It was a duplex, and the ground floor on both sides was an apartment, pretty sizable for Cambridge. We lived in the ground floor of the Cambridge Street side of the house. The upstairs were all separate rooms, with a common kitchen and bathroom, and there must have been something like a dozen people living on the second and third floors on each side. Some very nice folks. Some very strange folk too. There was one guy, Warren, who was basically a street guy, except that he had inherited some money when he was younger, so he could afford to pay the rent on the room. He smoked these horrible things called Parodis (I called them parodies, cause they weren't real cigars) and stank up the whole house. That was before it was illegal to smoke . Another person who was really interesting was "Gray." Gray had been a woman, but was half way through a sex-change process. Unfortunately s/he had run out of money and was stuck in that in-between stage. That's why s/he picked that name. One of the young women on my side of the building would appear and disappear at really disconcerting times. She was almost ghost-like. We called her Casper. The place wasn't under rent control, but it was reasonable, mostly because the landlord, a fairly rich guy, thought he had a duty to keep rents low. I doubt he owns the place any more. I bet there's no way I could have afforded the cost of that place nowadays.<br><br>. . . . . Here's lookin' at [color:red]you</font color=red> kid.

Re: New York City - 11/19/05 08:41 AM

So, it's a perfect NYC morning. Clear and cold, the Empire State and Chrysler Buildings standing out sharply against a brilliant blue sky. The kind of day that has me asking WHAT AM I THINKING??? <br><br>But, I'm also incredibly excited about moving back to Boston. Anxious for tomorrow morning to get here. Looking forward to seeing the Hancock and Prudential Towers on the horizon.<br><br>I'm going dark in a few hours (gotta return the cable box and modem), and will be live again by Tuesday. But for now, back to the last of the packing...<br><br>

Re: New York City - 11/19/05 09:00 AM

A little traveling music.<br><br><EMBED SRC="http://idisk.mac.com/mikeleboeuf/Public/Valley Winter Song.mp4", WIDTH=300, HEIGHT=15 CONTROLLER=TRUE AUTOPLAY=FALSE><br><br>

Re: New York City - 11/19/05 09:22 AM

I got one better...<br><embed src="http://www.itanetce.com.br/paginas/download/frank sinatra - new york new york (good version).mp3" width=320 height=240 controller=true autoplay=false type=video/quicktime><br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pete on 11/19/05 12:25 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: New York City - 11/19/05 09:56 AM

<EMBED SRC="http://idisk.mac.com/mikeleboeuf/Public/Daddy_Dont_Live.mp4", WIDTH=300, HEIGHT=15 CONTROLLER=TRUE AUTOPLAY=FALSE><br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: New York City - 11/19/05 10:05 AM

I have the perfect going away song for Steve...<br><br><embed src="http://home.comcast.net/~george609/hollaback.mp3" width=320 height=25 controller=true autoplay=false type=video/quicktime><br><br>