windows home vs professional

Posted by: sean

windows home vs professional - 11/16/05 11:56 AM

i need to buy virtual PC because we're writing a grant to the national institute of health and they just switched to a system that requires windows only. gotta love that.<br><br>so, rather than buy a PC, we're going to get virtual PC. however, i don't know why i'd get professional over home. can someone fill me in on the differences? TIA.<br><br>the virtual pc site at microsoft just says (for professional): <blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>he premier edition with the most robust communication, security and networking capabilities. This is the edition for businesses and advanced home users.<p><hr></blockquote><p>i am advanced home user, but . . . but, that doesn't help me. doh!<br><br>--<br>"I am mindful that diversity is one of the strengths of the country" --president bush on 9/27/05
Posted by: Pete

Re: windows home vs professional - 11/16/05 12:03 PM

link-o<br><br>

Re: windows home vs professional - 11/16/05 12:05 PM

thanks. for what we're doing, i think home is just fine to save some money. <br><br><br>--<br>"I am mindful that diversity is one of the strengths of the country" --president bush on 9/27/05
Posted by: trey

Re: windows home vs professional - 11/16/05 12:06 PM

The only differences are things you'd probably never use... things like network administration and crap. Go with the Home Edition if it's cheaper.<br><br>

Re: windows home vs professional - 11/16/05 12:07 PM

i just realized that i own version 5.0 of virtual pc so i can just upgrade . . . i think i had home edition as well.<br><br>now, it's about finding it. i hated it. hmmm.<br><br>--<br>"I am mindful that diversity is one of the strengths of the country" --president bush on 9/27/05
Posted by: Bryan

Re: windows home vs professional - 11/16/05 12:18 PM

If you own a windows license, you can buy the naked virtual PC for like $99 and just use that with it. <br><br>

Re: windows home vs professional - 11/16/05 12:23 PM

i have my serial code. my problem is that i cannot find the previous install disks, including the windows home CD.<br><br>i remember when it stopped working on one of the os x upgrades. they finally forced people to upgrade to 6.0. i had only used 5.0 to fiddle with and had never needed it. so, i did some office rearranging and all that and misplaced it. now, this . . . the gov't is forcing it on me again. doh! <br><br>--<br>"I am mindful that diversity is one of the strengths of the country" --president bush on 9/27/05

Re: windows home vs professional - 11/16/05 01:10 PM

Man VPC 5 and 6 in OS X were slooooooowwwwwwwwwww....I tried 7 and it still kind of sucked. I guess we all gotta do what we gotta do. <br><br>The beauty of the Intel Macs will be dual booting...then we'll never have to fuss with this nonsense again. <br><br>

Re: windows home vs professional - 11/16/05 01:19 PM

yeah, i hated 5.0 so much i didn't mind losing the CDs. <br><br>i just bought professional because i heard the system has only been tested with professional. why the hell would the national institute of health switch to a system they've only tested on XP professional? stupid government.<br><br>i can't wait for the intel macs and being better able to fit in . . . in a pinch anyway.<br><br>--<br>"I am mindful that diversity is one of the strengths of the country" --president bush on 9/27/05

Re: windows home vs professional - 11/16/05 01:25 PM

Yeah....when it comes to business, you can't afford to have anything be even remotely incompatible. <br><br>I was stuck using FrontPage in VPC for months, until I found another alternative. <br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: windows home vs professional - 11/16/05 01:26 PM

FrontPage is for chimps. <br><br>

Re: windows home vs professional - 11/16/05 01:28 PM

Better me than you!<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: windows home vs professional - 11/16/05 07:50 PM

[color:blue]national institute of health and they just switched to a system that requires windows only. gotta love that.</font color=blue><br><br>Yep<br>gotta love tax payers moneys thrown in the trash can, so that the government can continue to support a monoply<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: windows home vs professional - 11/17/05 06:30 AM

I feel compelled to post this:<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: windows home vs professional - 11/18/05 02:42 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p><br>The beauty of the Intel Macs will be dual booting<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>No, the beauty will be that VPC won't run slowly so you'll be able to have OS X and XP running simultaneously.<br><br>

Re: windows home vs professional - 11/18/05 03:18 PM

Well, that would be neat, but I'd love a native Windows install for when I want to run a game or whatever. <br><br>