First draft is up

Posted by: steveg

First draft is up - 12/16/02 03:48 PM

Got my new [color:red]site</font color=red> up, and now it's tweak-time. The new domain (eleven22.biz) hasn't yet propogated to NameSecure's servers, so till the end of the week, I'm still at sgcreativ.com. <br><br>For some reason, some of the color profiles shifted to red, so I need to fix that, and the front page animation needs to be smoothed out. Some pages will be replaced with other content. <br><br>In the meantime, any comments or suggestions (be gentle with me — I'm no web designer — will be appreciated). <br><br>
Posted by: MacGuru

Re: First draft is up - 12/16/02 04:21 PM

It looks great to me but I am also no web designer or any designer for that matter. Anyway good luck with your new venture.<br><br>"... I find that teaching and the students keep life going, and I would never accept any position in which somebody has invented a happy situation for me where I don't have to teach. Never."<br>- Richard P Feynman<br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: First draft is up - 12/16/02 04:23 PM

Looks great! Small print though I just hit Bigger Text here. Good job <br><br><br>[color:red]Don't make me open this on you!</font color=red><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: First draft is up - 12/16/02 04:42 PM

First impressions:<br>Why the Enter page? That's just an extra click to get to the Home page.<br>Point of View and Clients page. Your text image appears of my screen as about a size 9 font. These old eyes can't hardly read it. "Once you know what to say, say it with clarity". Follow your own advice, fella! Clarity is a visual concept too, right? <br>I won't comment on the pictures (I did look at them) and movies (didn't)...I'm on a dial-up and suspect your target audience has those cushy connections. Overall, the site looked pretty clean. That's high praise from me.<br><br>Gentle enough?<br><br>drjohn<br><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/16/02 04:52 PM

Ultimately, the "enter" page will have a little more going on — possible a light-handed Flash intro (with a by-pass option) that will take you automatically to the home page. Good guess on the point size on the text pages — it is 9 pt. (them old eyes can't be that bad, bub ). I have to do a little more editing so I can come up a point or so without creating a "wall of type".<br><br>Good comments. Thanks. <br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: First draft is up - 12/16/02 04:59 PM

I like the general layout, but agree that the font size is a little challenging for us sight-challenged folks. Your work will sell itself!<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: First draft is up - 12/16/02 05:07 PM

I'm sensing a theme here...<br><br>MAKE THE FRIGGIN' TYPE BIGGER FER CRYIN' OUT LOUD!!!<br><br>I'm so used to Quark displaying type a tad smaller than it prints, that I automatically scale down a bit to compensate. The same is not true with Photoshop. <br><br>Also, this is NYC, where even type is more expensive per pound — and I am on a budget, you know... <br><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/16/02 05:13 PM

LOL<br><br>Just make sure that you guys don't have a transit strike, please. I might have to cancel our trip if there is one!<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: First draft is up - 12/16/02 05:25 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Also, this is NYC, where even type is more expensive per pound — and I am on a budget, you know...<p><hr></blockquote><p>I thought everything was naturally bigger and better in the Big Apple...so fix the fonts, moneybags, with another pound of 'em.<br><br>drjohn<br><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/16/02 05:36 PM

The MTA and the union reached a tentative agreement a few hours ago. It still has to be approved by both boards, but both parties are confident that it's got legs. *whew*<br><br>So come on down! <br><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/16/02 06:04 PM

Oh frabjous day!<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: mojo_jojo

Re: First draft is up - 12/16/02 06:18 PM

Did I notice your tile from the mosaic somewhere in there?<br><br>
Posted by: sross

Re: First draft is up - 12/16/02 07:16 PM

Very nice and professional. I like it a lot.<br>Not to be picky or anything, but when I looked at clients I saw that one was misspelled. Under Seagrams, it is Chivas Regal not Reagal. <br>I remind me of my 8th grade english teacher....<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: First draft is up - 12/16/02 07:26 PM

I like it for a first draft. Simple, clean and to the point. Really like the NICE TRY one. Fix the red shift and you are pretty much there. Few tweaks as you say to refine things, but overall darned nice effort. Greenblatt, you rock!<br><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/16/02 07:27 PM

Yeah, the type is a bit small come to think of it.<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: First draft is up - 12/16/02 08:44 PM

I must have looked at your site when you are working on it. All I got was your logo on all pages, well only had 2 pages that I could see.<br><br>Hey the logo looks great thou.<br><br>
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: First draft is up - 12/16/02 09:14 PM

It’s very elegant and the navigation is brilliant (Apple Human Interface Guidelines in action, eh? ). I had some problems reading the Point of View, I might need glasses <br><br>I wish you all the best Steve..<br><br><br>Waleed's Gallery
Posted by: MachOne

Re: First draft is up - 12/16/02 09:52 PM

Steve,<br><br>The site looks fine; elegant, easy to navigate, probably just about spot-on for a potential client.<br><br>Have no probs reading the text on a clamshell iBook, so type would be OK for me and I wear reading glasses.<br><br>I can understand how you might err on the side of safety by boosting it a point, but honestly, I found it quite readable.<br><br>The work, as always, is really nice. And your wit shines through in your creative. You are a talented man Mr Greenblatt. <br><br>All the very best for your new venture. Heck, you deserve it.<br><br>Cheers,<br>M1.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: First draft is up - 12/16/02 10:33 PM

I only have 33 year old eyes, and I couldn't read a thing on your entire website (although it looks good!). Perhaps if you made the type about 2.5 points bigger and saved the files as Flash (you can export it as Flash from Illustrator), that way the type will be clearer. Flash comes with all browsers, so you're safe using it. While most companies requiring our type of services probably have broadband net access, it's still too slow... if you don't want to use flash, perhaps just splicing the image into multiple pieces would help the dial-up users.<br><br>
Posted by: MachOne

Re: First draft is up - 12/16/02 11:08 PM

Giz,<br><br>Just tried it out on the family PC running 1280x1024 on a 19" monitor and type was still readable. Maybe an OS X issue? I checked it out on a clamshell iBook earlier and that was fine too - OS 9.2 on the iBook, native resolution.<br><br>The loading was a little sluggish on the iBook but not abnormally so. On the PC it's fine except for the larger portfolio images. Not sure what the answer is.<br><br>A bit of image optimization might help the speed thing you're experiencing, but truthfully, I don't have a type issue. The easy answer to that is bump it up, as you say, so I'm sure Steve will heed that. I'll fire up the net on the G4 and see what happens in X.<br><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 05:57 AM

I just viewed it on my pc at the office and it came up nice and snappy and looks good. There were even some popups that intruded. But, what else is new?<br>I won't mention a thing about the small type.<br>Otherwise, best of luck and " naches" on your new venture. It will surely be a success.<br><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 06:08 AM

Thanks for all the helpful feedback, everyone. Lots of good comments. And thanks for the encouragement, too.<br><br>Gizmo, maybe it's time to trade in that fancy new monitor but, the text is now a point larger (and — bless you Sherm — that typo is fixed), color has been corrected, and best of all, the [color:orange]eleven22.biz</font color=orange> is live as of this AM. <br><br>Now all I need is a few paying customers! <br><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 06:44 AM

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I was viewing it on my iBook, not my G4... however, making the type in Flash format will improve the crispness and especially when printed. But now that I look again on my "fancy new monitor" it looks fine! <br><br><br>Visit Me At My .Mac Site
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 07:04 AM

Not bad for a non-web designer...ha!<br><br>Anyway, only one thing really bothers me (I can read the very small type, after all )- the 'eleven22' logo in the beginning (Flash?) seems to 'expand' when it moves on to the HTML page- that is, the kerning seems to increase between the letters in the word 'eleven' as the next page with the address info on the bottom loads up...<br><br>What up wid dat?<br><br>Otherwise, great job- let me know if ya need any freelance web designers- I'm cheap, and closer to NYC than any of these other hosers!<br><br>[color:red]Hold on, it's time for a...</font color=red><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 07:06 AM

A friend who's really good at this stuff — does her own coding — is gonna remake the whole site for me when she returns from an extended trip. In the meantime, I'll use what I've got as a beta to play with, so when she's ready, I'll have the concept fleshed out and ready for her to work with. Hell, I built this thing with PageMill and Pshop. Down and dirty!<br><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 07:09 AM

For now, the animation is Fireworks. I'm gonna have it re-done in Flash (along with a bunch of other fixes) by a friend. This'll be a work-in-progress for a while yet.<br><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 07:23 AM

Pagemill? OMG!<br><br>If you like, may I suggest to your friend that you might want to consider building your site a little like my own- have that initial browser window with the logo and maybe some address info, and then have a new, size-controlled pop-up window open up with the actual site in it..<br><br>I like working this way because it gives me total control over what the viewer sees, and I can have stuff bleed off the screen and such...<br> <br><br>[color:red]Hold on, it's time for a...</font color=red><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 07:44 AM

Hey! It's an antique — be worth a fortune some day. Ah don't need no steenkin' GoLive. <br><br>I'm a simplicity freak. Don't like too many bells and whistles, moving parts, pop-ups, etc. I just want a viewer to be able to scoot thru my site in a linear fashion and with as little distraction as possible. I see as lot of sites that have stuff going on only because it's possible instead of because it adds value.<br><br>What I hope to achieve is basically the same site, just a lot crisper and more fluid han what it it right now.<br><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 07:53 AM

Well, I didn't think one pop-up was too much in the way of 'bells' or 'whistles', but 'straight-through' browsing does have its benefits I guess.<br><br>Good luck!<br><br>[color:red]Hold on, it's time for a...</font color=red><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 01:33 PM

DM, I guess it's Chimera that isn't letting the pop-up show..and what about if someone has the "pop-up killer"?<br><br><br><br>[color:red]Don't make me open this on you!</font color=red><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 01:44 PM

They just click on the logo...A pop-up in Chimera or Mozilla would only be 'killed' if it pops-up on its own, right? <br><br>Anyway, I'm thinking about putting together a strictly HTML section of my site- only because I hear some bitching about having to get the plugin and whatnot..<br><br><br><br>[color:red]Hold on, it's time for a...</font color=red><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 02:37 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Hey! It's an antique — be worth a fortune some day<p><hr></blockquote><p>I'll give you my copy of Claris Homepage to sell with it...you'll make enough to buy your own loft.<br><br>I liked your site, overall, and think your philosophy and intention is right on the mark. I'm no designer but I've been amazed at how many sites throw up one roadblock after another, and these are commercial sites, which means they lost me as a customer and, once lost, I seldom give them a second chance . I'll give an artist's site a little more leeway but, in general, any bells and whistles (like waiting for flash stuff to load) and I'm gone. I think too many designers were raised on video games and, as someone said, all this digital stuff seems to be designed for twelve to fifteen year old boys.<br><br>drjohn <br><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 03:24 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>all this digital stuff seems to be designed for twelve to fifteen year old boys<p><hr></blockquote><p>LOL! It's like any new toy. You get your hands on some little piece of whizbang, and you just want to play with it all day long. I've seen plenty of sites that make really good use of the technology, too. If it's used gracefully and purposefully to enhance the visitor's experience, then I'm all for it. But, like you, if it's all about "Hey ma, lookit this kewl trick I lernt", then I'm outta there.<br><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 05:00 PM

Flash, when done correctly and not overkill, will load faster than standard jpg's and gifs in HTML... but I agree, too may sites go on a flash overload. I don't like it when the site has crap dancing all over my screen and music in the background and a multitude of other blinking things.<br><br><br>Visit Me At My .Mac Site

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 05:13 PM

Gee, I hope you guys aren't talking about MY site...<br><br>[color:red]Hold on, it's time for a...</font color=red><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 05:17 PM

I hate to say it even now.<br>All I get is the Logo 11-22 on the main page.<br>I then click enter and all I get is the 11-22 with and address on the 2nd page.<br><br>I guess ya friend has some work to do.<br>G4 350 running 9.1 with IE 5.0<br><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 05:19 PM

Um, have you tried clicking on any of the sections on top- 'Portfolio', 'Clients', etc?<br><br>[color:red]Hold on, it's time for a...</font color=red><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 05:20 PM

Um... you're the only one not getting past the OLD page. Try flushing yuor browser's cache. And use the new URL: http://www.eleven22.biz.<br><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 05:21 PM

Of course we were. But you weren't s'posed to know that. <br><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 05:22 PM

My cache has always been set to ZERO. For those reasons.<br><br>I tried it when you first posted it - and I just tried it again about 4 minutes ago<br><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 05:28 PM

Don't know what to tell you then. It's live — I swear! You should get a brief animation, click enter or welcome, then click any of the options on the nav bar at the top of the next page.<br><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 05:30 PM

Your new address works.??<br><br>Get rid of the small type - but they are still readable.<br>A few point sizes bigger will really help.<br><br>The site is Spartan but like you said its work in progress. So far I like it.<br><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 05:37 PM

Type's already been bumped up a point from yesterday — don't want it too get horsey, either. Kind of a fine line. My goal is to make the site smoother and more fluid, but it'll stay fairly sparse. I want visitors to focus on the work, not the site. I am a simple man with a simple mind...<br><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 05:55 PM

Carp is used to reading the comics section with all the giant type bubbles... so things like this just confuse him! <br><br><br>Visit Me At My .Mac Site

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 05:58 PM

Whats your target demographic?<br><br>Bump the type up one more point if you want A-Holes like me to be able to read it comfortabily.<br><br>Other wise the site looks great. Just my 2 cents.<br><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 06:03 PM

There ya go. I'll give it an iChat theme. <br><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 06:06 PM

I get this We cannot find the specified site. now<br><br><br>[color:red]Don't make me open this on you!</font color=red><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 06:14 PM

Working here. Are you using the new address? eleven22.biz.<br><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 06:23 PM

yeah...copied/pasted from the other page.<br><br>here..let me make it into a link:<br>http://www.eleven22.biz<br><br><br>[color:red]Don't make me open this on you!</font color=red><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 06:24 PM

Worked that time!<br><br><br>[color:red]Don't make me open this on you!</font color=red><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 06:31 PM

I'm using a url forwarding service, and they say that it can take up to 96 hours for the address to propgate to all of their servers, so there may be a bottleneck or two until the process is complete. Frankly, I'm surprised it's working so soon.<br><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 06:34 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Frankly, I'm surprised it's working so soon<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>I'm not......<br><br><br><br>....and don't call me Frankly <br><br><br>[color:red]Don't make me open this on you!</font color=red><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 06:38 PM

Oops. Did I say "Frankly"? Pardly me, then... <br><br>

Re: First draft is up - 12/17/02 06:41 PM

<br><br><br>[color:red]Don't make me open this on you!</font color=red><br>