6 hours and counting...

Posted by: steveg

6 hours and counting... - 12/15/02 03:26 PM

NYC is staring down the barrell of a Transit Workers strike. If the Union and the MTA can't come to an agreement by midnight tonight, the subways and buses that move 7 million New Yorkers around each day will grind to a halt. An illegal halt, I might add.<br><br>There was a transit strike in 1980, and the City managed. But that strike didn't happen a couple of weeks before Xmas, nor was NYC's economy still recovering from an event like 9/11.<br><br>Personally, I won't be directly impacted (I prefer to walk as often as possible), but there will be inconveniences. For instance, I went to Queens today to pick up my wife's sewing machine. I caught the subway 50' from my door, then a bus from a particular station in queens and got off the bus in front of the sewing machine repair shop. About 25 min. each way, literally door to door. Can't do that in too many cities. Public schools will start 2 hours late, but dismiss at the usual time. Car pool rules will be in force big-time. Limos will be allowed to do curbside pick-ups, like cabs, and cab-sharing is being encouraged.<br><br>The real impact will be felt by emergency personnel, businesses and the city's bottom line (this could cost NYC up to $350 million/day!).<br><br>Oh well, back to the countdown... <br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: 6 hours and counting... - 12/15/02 03:33 PM

Good Luck<br><br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: 6 hours and counting... - 12/15/02 03:41 PM

Bottom line.<br>(this could cost NYC up to $350 million/day!)<br><br>Now how much does it cost the city to give the pay raises??<br>Seems like simple math to me.<br><br>If anything it gives them time to fix the trains and clean the stations.<br><br>

Re: 6 hours and counting... - 12/15/02 03:47 PM

If only it were that simple, carp. The trains don't need to be fixed, and the stations are ó I hate to 'splode old myths ó already spotless, and many are undergoing major renovations and improvements. This is about contracts and benefits. and a union president with a very militaristic approach to negotiation.<br><br>
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: 6 hours and counting... - 12/15/02 03:54 PM

Itís a good thing that you have a Apple Store downstairs so you pretty much covered.<br>Do they serve kool aid and cookies this time of year,If so that will take care of your food needs<br><br>

Re: 6 hours and counting... - 12/15/02 03:58 PM

Kool aid and cookies? Nah. But they have a big vat of MEGnog in the center of the store *hic* and they'l enable your cookies for half price! <br><br>

Re: 6 hours and counting... - 12/15/02 04:04 PM

This is about contracts and benefits<br><br>Still it comes down to money.<br><br>Here they just raise the rates for the riders.<br>The riders then can Bitch to the A-Hole thats driving them around the island. Kinda full circle don't ya think.<br><br>

Re: 6 hours and counting... - 12/15/02 04:10 PM

So how many strikes aren't about money? A couple of months ago, the MTA proposed a rate hike. The public barely raised an eyebrow (rates have been where they are for a long time, and most people realize it's inevitable). But the Transit Workers Union raised a stink! Go figure. <br><br>Don't raise fares, but we want more money and better bennies.<br><br>Now tell me who needs to do the math!<br><br>

Re: 6 hours and counting... - 12/15/02 04:16 PM

Why I said.<br><br>Let them raise the fare and let the transit people field to the riders the reason why they need more bennies.<br><br>Brings new meaning to;<br>Now that you got more bennie and pay raise do I get to where I am going faster? <br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: 6 hours and counting... - 12/15/02 05:56 PM

The strike's effects reach as far as the suburbs, too- people at my job who would normally take the train or drive by themselves are now forced to travel 4 to a vehicle, or they won't be let in or out of the city...<br><br>[color:red]Kiss my minions!</font color=red><br>

Re: 6 hours and counting... - 12/15/02 07:31 PM

That'll be the requirement throughout the entire metro area for getting in and out of the city. Brooklyn and Queens are really gonna feel it. My kid is hoping for the strike so she can sleep late. Oh to be 9 yrs old again. <br><br>

Re: 6 hours and counting... - 12/15/02 07:33 PM

I wish I was 9 again.<br><br>

Re: 6 hours and counting... - 12/15/02 07:37 PM

I'm going to be 9 next week.<br><br>
Posted by: bird

Re: 6 hours and counting... - 12/15/02 09:08 PM

gosh it seems like only yesterday and you were eight. My, my how time flies . Keep us posted on the strike!<br><br> <br>[color:green]Happy Holidays [color:green]

Re: 6 hours and counting... - 12/16/02 04:05 AM

Strike averted for now. *whew* But I'm still gonna be 9 anyway! <br><br>
Posted by: bird

Re: 6 hours and counting... - 12/16/02 10:30 AM

All right, hope the good news holds. Guess your daughter was up and at um, no sleeping in. : ( And I must add you look ah, well, lets say this nice, A little old for your age!! Of course its rumored mac users are more mature for there age, but I think you pushed the envelope . <br><br> <br>[color:green]Happy Holidays [color:green]
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: 6 hours and counting... - 12/16/02 07:57 PM

Be glad you don't live in Munich, Steve:<br><br>"Striking tram and subway drivers donned lederhosen and banged on cow bells Monday to underline their call for a pay increase, stepping up a protest that stranded commuters and schoolchildren across Germany."<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"