Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs

Posted by: Topper

Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs - 08/22/05 10:18 AM

THIS IS GETTING INTERESTING<br>This could prove to be costly for Apple. <br>It could mean less Apple computers being sold.<br>I am not sure what the repercussions are regarding OS X licensing and iTunes.<br>The article suggests that one solution is to "deny the reality."<br>I think a lot of Mac users are getting ready to partition their new "Intel Mac" computers so they can run OS X and Windows.<br>Looks like the shoe is on the other foot.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs - 08/22/05 10:27 AM

Hello! Have you been on vacation? It's been hacked for weeks! It was on the french mac site with videos. ;)<br><br>I think this is great and Jobs will release OS X for x86 eventually anyway. Too bad it's against Apple's will though. That part I don't like...<br><br>don't click! it's spam smile

Re: Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs - 08/22/05 10:59 AM

As a matter of fact, I was on vacation.<br>I think the reason it is making the news today is Apple's legal department is getting involved.<br>But this is not a good thing for Apple. Jobs will not release OS X for x86.<br>Why?<br>Because Apple makes money on hardware not software.<br>When you start buying an eMachine or a Dell computer with OS X on it then it's time to say good bye to Apple Computer.<br>Do you remember the clones? The clones bit into Apple computer sales. That was almost the end of Apple. <br> <br><br>
Posted by: Llewelyn

Re: Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs - 08/22/05 11:26 AM

But isn't Apple switching to x86 tech soon?<br><br><br>- This is gonna get pretty interesting. <br>- Define "interesting". <br>- Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die..
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs - 08/22/05 11:28 AM

Yup...it's gotta be one or the other. Either you're a hardware company or a software company, no in between. You can't compete with yourself. There's a reason MS doesn't sell PCs. <br><br>If Apple wants to license OS X, then it will be because they have decided to stop making computers. <br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs - 08/22/05 11:44 AM

why doesn't apple make money on software? is it because they spend so much in developing the software or is it something else? <br><br>i think apple has to decide whether they want to be hardware or software. if it's that easy to shift to x86 machines, then they have to imagine the potential market of their software. my parents would love to have os x iPhoto and iMovie just for those two apps. they won't buy a whole new computer, but they'd purchase the software alone, i'd bet.<br><br>the clones were a dark time, but i sure appreciated being able to buy a new computer more often than i would have otherwise. there sure are a lot of interesting rumors as to why apple is shifting to intel, but one i read recently explained that this could dramatically help apple break into the video over broadband market that wouldn't have been possible with IBM chips. <br><br>i wonder how apple stock is going to react to things over the next 2 years???<br><br><br>--<br>in Iraq, the fat lady is singing to bring home the troops soon. unfortunately, the only person who can't hear her is our president.

Re: Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs - 08/22/05 11:51 AM

I hope they will continue making hardware and software. That's the only way you get to design the full computing experience.<br><br>don't click! it's spam smile
Posted by: SparkCollector

Re: Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs - 08/22/05 11:52 AM

There are also false reports of people running it systems with all sorts of "disallowed" processors.<br><br>All they're doing is hacking the system profile display.<br><br>http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050809204632497&query=easily+change<br><br>

Re: Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs - 08/22/05 01:58 PM

Yes, you are correct, Apple is switching to Intel's x86 CPU.<br>When I first heard of the switch to Intel it was my understanding that Windows would be able to operate on a MacIntel computer but not the other way around.<br>Guess what, OS X can be hacked to run on PCs.<br><br>

Re: Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs - 08/22/05 02:14 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>why doesn't apple make money on software? is it because they spend so much in developing the software or is it something else?<br>i think apple has to decide whether they want to be hardware or software.<p><hr></blockquote><p>To be truthful, I don't know, Sean. <br>But I'll bet one of the reasons your parents went to PC is because it is cheaper than buying a Mac<br>After the clone era, Jobs and the iMac brought Apple back to profitability.<br>Now the iPod is putting money in Apple's pocket.<br>What's next? <br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>there sure are a lot of interesting rumors as to why apple is shifting to intel, but one i read recently explained that this could dramatically help apple break into the video over broadband market that wouldn't have been possible with IBM chips.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Lots of good rumors going around. <br>One reason Apple went with Intel is to get back into the laptop race. <br>The power of the PowerBook is lagging behind because the IBM processors run too hot. <br>Rumor: How about a partnership with Google and iTunes?<br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>i wonder how apple stock is going to react to things over the next 2 years???<p><hr></blockquote><p>I am getting a little scared that my pension may sh!t the bed. If so, I will really be relying pretty heavily on my Apple stock. <br>I certainly didn't plan it that way.<br> <br><br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs - 08/22/05 02:20 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Guess what, OS X can be hacked to run on PCs.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>nutty already hinted it would be possible and that they expect it and won't really discourage it.<br><br>

Re: Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs - 08/22/05 02:36 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>nutty already hinted it would be possible and that they expect it and won't really discourage it.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Huh, that's strange. Looks like they are trying to discourage it now.<br>But it's probably all over with except for the shouting. Sorta like illegally copying encrypted DVDs. Can't stop it now.<br><br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs - 08/22/05 02:54 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>But it's probably all over with except for the shouting.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>I think that's all it really is. Apple kind of has to do something legally to protect copyrights, etc.<br><br>But when you think about it, they make money on pro software like Final Cut. So an increased base of OS X will help sales, though of course there will be piracy of this software no doubt.<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs - 08/22/05 11:02 PM

[color:blue]why doesn't apple make money on software? is it because they spend so much in developing the software or is it something else?</font color=blue><br><br>IMO<br>Installed user base. = What about 25 million now ?<br>Apples profit margin on hardware is much greater then software - Only the Pro software is were the profit margin is higher then the hardware. How many of the 25 million is gonna buy FCP ? and how many have bought into "Tiger" ? only a few million copies on top of that.<br><br>For Apple to be a software company non dependent on hardware "given its size" would have to have say 25% of the market share to start with - or just trow the dice and hope that 25% will run Tiger on PCs <-- I think not<br><br>
Posted by: rigger

Apple - 08/23/05 04:23 AM

Apple is rapidly becoming a gadget maker.<br><br>
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: Apple - 08/23/05 10:38 AM

When weren't they?<br><br><br>but where will we be when the future comes?
Posted by: Beniitec

Re: Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs - 08/23/05 11:54 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p><br>For Apple to be a software company non dependent on hardware "given its size" would have to have say 25% of the market share to start with - or just trow the dice and hope that 25% will run Tiger on PCs <-- I think not<p><hr></blockquote><p>Hmm...yeah, agreed, starting with 25% is impossible today. Although given the chance IMHO, OS X (Tiger) would prove serious competition to the dark side these days. Wouldn't it be really interesting to see if they could gain the marketshare... Prolly too big of a risk for the company. But hey, having had the choice, I switched over 14 years ago. And I've seen many do the same once they got their hands on the OS. I mean... we aren't that abnormal. We just gave the platform a chance. If the hardware was cheap and the software was attainable...imagine the possibilities. I really think it would blow Windows out of the water. Like I said tho... MHO.<br><br>I love apple's hardware...I truly do, but the company would do itself a favor and sell the software and make it x86 compatible. I also think many would buy Apple's hardware even though it cost more... having had a "taste" of the OS. I know I would. <br><br>Hi, my name is Ben. I have a problem. I'm addicted to Apple's product offerings...<br><br>

Re: Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs - 08/23/05 02:47 PM

where is my support group?<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs - 08/23/05 03:37 PM

Apple doesn't make money on software because they sell 1/20th the copies of MacOS X that MS sells copies Windows. But it still takes the same amount (if not more) of people to develop the software. Think about it - the iLife team, Mail, Safari, iCal, etc. etc. and the OS itself. Somebody has to pay them.<br><br>If not for hardware profits, you'd have to pay $500 for OS X - and then how well would it sell. This is the biggest reason that Steve Jobs killed the Mac clones. They didn't want to pay what it really cost to develop MacOS.<br><br>In regards to it being hacked to run on clone PCs - of course it was. Do you think this is the final product. The developer box is little more than a clone PC motherboard stuck in a G5 case. Who cares if some nerds run a beta OS on their PCs. I expect the final version of OS X for Intel will be much different. The dependence on a DRM chip will be spread throughout the OS making it not worth your while to hack it to run on any PC.<br><br>

Re: Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs - 08/24/05 09:57 AM

I agree w/ you. However, don't you think that if Apple were to sell their OS to companies and schools at a discounted rate, to push the OS out, more consumers will purchase the goodness? The key is to suck up and sell the first two versions cheap, then develop a whopper of an upgrade and charge $200 a pop. Hello...can you say Windows 3.1, 95 & 98? It's a matter of having a strategy... I mean look at what you get with Windows these days... then look at what you get with OS X. BSD, development tools, iLife, Graphic Converter, word processor, Calendaring, mail, etc and so forth. <br><br>You need to remember that Apple today sells a small amount of hardware compared to the PC marketshare. If Apple were to come out with an x86 version, I guarantee you that many PC makers, businesses and schools would buy into it. Let's just put it this way, if you were selling a piece of software that ran on 3% of computers and you made a change to that piece of software to run on 95% of computers in the marketplace, you could lower the cost of your software, and make major profits. You wouldn't have to charge $500 because now you'd be selling it to exponentially more people. At $70 a box, if you sold it to 30% of the market you'd probably be VERY profitable.<br><br><br>

Re: Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs - 08/24/05 11:47 AM

Now let me ask this... do you think Apple could pull off something like that 10 years ago? Now, do you think they could pull something off like that today? How many stores...in how many areas...<br><br>Seriously, it used to be a far fetched thought ...world domination. I don't think it's impossible today. With the iPod and the stores, Apple is poised for the takover.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs - 08/24/05 12:00 PM

i think apple is going to try and break into the online movie download business given the number of folks moving to broadband. if they can become the major player in that market, i think we could talk about apple as a much bigger time player in the entertainment world. then again, with iTunes and a movie version (iFlicks???) i think apple is really at the mercy of the current big time players (e.g., record companies, movie studios) and that's not a comfy place to be if they start to get jealous.<br><br>i don't see apple becoming a big time computer player . . . ever. though, i'd love to see the day when the world wises up. <br><br>--<br>nobody has been held accountable for the poor (mis)intelligence on iraq or how it was used to justify a war in which people have died. nobody!

Re: Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs - 08/24/05 08:42 PM

[color:blue] If Apple were to come out with an x86 version, I guarantee you that many PC makers, businesses and schools would buy into it.</font color=blue><br><br>Really the real reason as to why people have home PCs.<br>1 - People use PCs at work = so thats what they have at home.<br>2 - Gamers = PCs just has more games.<br>3 - Cooperate - cheap arse hardware + expensive proprietary software = PC only<br><br>Reality Check what Apple needs to do even if Apple ports to PC<br>3 - Cooperate hurdle. The best example is the company I work for. We use 3 core programs that are customized to or operations and one of those is a Web Base Program <--- Ah ha I thought I could use my Mac with IE from home - nada, no way that Web Site is PC only those cheap bastards. Anyway I asked IT if it was possible to access from a Mac, they said no problem if I had 500 K to pay the programmers to rewrite the entire program to be multi platform. Yeah right.<br><br>Bottom Line;<br>Apple Sales really would have to pull out some Cool-Aid in order to convince my company to rewrite 2 million dollars of software, just to run Mac OSX <--- no way thats gonna happen = Like wise Large Cooperations too are riddled with customized software like we are.<br><br>2 - Gamers well thats not to easy but really more of a "gamble" sorta port the OS and see if the game makers will follow ? I give Apple maybe one chance out of twenty or 20 to 1 odds.<br><br>1 - Well if Apple beats the cooperate hurdle "Fat Chance" people will buy what they use at work.<br><br>IMO<br><br>

Re: Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs - 08/24/05 09:14 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>they said no problem if I had 500 K to pay the programmers to rewrite the entire program<p><hr></blockquote><p>You've got it, Carp. Don't be such a tightwad.<br><br>
Posted by: LoveTheBomb

Re: Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs - 08/25/05 05:49 AM

[color:blue] Ah ha I thought I could use my Mac with IE from home - nada, no way that Web Site is PC only those cheap bastards. Anyway I asked IT if it was possible to access from a Mac, they said no problem if I had 500 K to pay the programmers to rewrite the entire program to be multi platform. Yeah right.</font color=blue><br><br>God, this sorta thing pisses me off. I understand the high costs of porting software for desktop applications, but when it comes to web based applications, this is total BS. There is nothing in modern web programming that prevents true cross-platform web applications. It's just lazy programmers. Take a look at Google Maps. While it may seem pretty simple, I promise you that it's more complicated whatever your company web based application is doing (AJAX). Still runs fine in Safari.<br><br>

Re: Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs - 08/25/05 10:39 AM

500k? Maybe it took them 500k for a bunch of PC developers to develop the software. But for a Mac geek to port it and make it usable wouldn't take that much --usually.<br><br>I work for a company that has the same problem you state. But it took 1 mac geek (not developer) less than 15k to port their software to the Mac. I mean...come on. Code is code. Once it has been done...it really isn't that complicated to port it. Obviously this isn't always the case... but where there's a will, there's a way. <br><br>Second example is it takes teams of developers to work on a piece of software a security company worked to engineer and develop. And it took 1 contractor (yes one guy) to the security company 3 months to port their software over.<br><br>It's the belief that it's going to cost another 500k that keeps mgmt from deciding on developing for mac. <br><br>Also agree with the web development statement...totally agree. <br><br>

Re: Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs - 08/25/05 01:33 PM

What can that web based app do to make it PC only? Hmm<br><br>don't click! it's spam smile
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs - 08/25/05 01:51 PM

I don't know about him, but I can only chart my Case Notes at work using Windows version of IE. Won't work with safari, firefox, etc.<br><br>From their site:<br>Browser Requirement<br><br>This site requires Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0.2 or higher. Using older browsers, non-compatible browsers or disabling browser features, such as JavaScript, cookies and SSL, will reduce site functionality<br><br>

Re: Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs - 08/25/05 08:23 PM

Right Beni<br><br>The 500 K was just a number they threw at me - over exaggerated.<br>Besides a IT dept - our Construction dept has a "Technology Coordinator" who is our direct link to the Programmers who created this rat infested software, anyway I asked her to ask the programmers for a work around. They said Macs are Not an option, its cheaper developing only for the PC. Oooohhhhkay<br><br>IMO<br>The real problem is the Development Community all together. When it comes to Web Base programs it should be multi platform from the get go - Apparently these Yahoos had different prices one for PC only and another higher price for multi platform "or" maybe it was my company asking them to lower their cost ?<br><br>
Posted by: LoveTheBomb

Re: Oh, Oh!, OS X hacked to run on PCs - 08/26/05 05:24 AM

[color:blue] IMO<br>The real problem is the Development Community all together. When it comes to Web Base programs it should be multi platform from the get go - Apparently these Yahoos had different prices one for PC only and another higher price for multi platform "or" maybe it was my company asking them to lower their cost ?</font color=blue><br><br>I'd be real curious to see why they think they need their web based PC only. There are frivolous ActiveX components that can only be run through WinIE (mostly involved with rendering graphics). But most of them are buggy, useless, or can be implemented in a standard way for most browsers to use (there are a few that are kinda cool, though)<br><br>In the long run, though, it's actually *more* expensive to write for WinIE only than it is to develop using the W3C standards. When you test code on multiple browsers you find more bugs. It forces you to actually "design" your web app instead of cobble things together (which makes it less buggy and easier to maintain). Finally, when the next version of IE is released (with better W3C standards support and less proprietary stuff), things wont break.<br><br>