Posted by: Pete

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/18/05 07:57 AM

A hummingbird sitting still? Nice shot indeed!<br><br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/18/05 08:05 AM

"He's not dead... he's resting!" <br><br>- alec
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/18/05 10:21 AM

JESIS KROIST!<br><br>Thought you was about to do the ultimate "Kiss & Tell" <br><br>[color:green]"...or am I a butterfly that's dreaming she's a woman?"</font color=green>
Posted by: bird

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/18/05 12:38 PM

The jewels of the bird kingdom...........wonderful picture, thanks for sharing<br><br>
Posted by: mojo_jojo

I got a blurry hummer... - 08/18/05 02:03 PM

last Saturday. Shot him through the closed window with screen. Little guy sat still for quite awhile too.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Topper

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/18/05 07:18 PM

'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This Hummer is no more! <br>'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! <br>If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies!<br>'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! <br>'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!<br>This is an ex-Hummer!!<br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/18/05 07:56 PM

Is a finger snap required while one reads that?<br><br>
Posted by: Topper

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/18/05 08:27 PM

Wouldn't hurt.<br>That's a very nice picture, by the way.<br>

Re: I got a blurry hummer... - 08/18/05 08:50 PM

They are fun to watch. This little guy seemed to like this branch because he kept returning to it. I was sitting outdoors.<br><br><br>
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/20/05 09:40 AM

good to see you flitting across my screen again<br>(((hugs)))<br><br>These are hand held 420mm(210 2x converter) zoom lens shots. Not so good cropped scans from 35mm slides.. Will try to scan again with new scanner.., one day..<br><br><br><br>Yeah this mistletoe bird is about 3 inches long at best.<br>The nest us attached to a leaf petiole by spider webs.. It moves around as the birds land and feed babies .. let alone with a puff of wind<br><br>but where will we be when the future comes?

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/20/05 10:02 AM

THIS is Our Native Hummer<br><br><br><br>The "classic" greeting-cards Ruby-Throated Hummingbird<br><br>[color:green]"...or am I a butterfly that's dreaming she's a woman?"</font color=green>

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/20/05 10:23 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>good to see you flitting across my screen again<p><hr></blockquote><p> Someone finally left the cage open This has been a great thread, so nice to see so many different pictures here in the forum of our feathered friends..first time I have ever seen a Mistletoe Bird..what a fantastic nest...amazing what birds build..puts the Eiffel Tower to shame <br><br>

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/20/05 10:30 AM

true about the engineering skills of birds. ;)<br><br><br>but where will we be when the future comes?
Posted by: steveg

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/20/05 04:12 PM

Bragging? <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/20/05 05:32 PM

Got some birds at the zoo the other day.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/20/05 05:33 PM

I think this is a Lorikeet?<br><br><br><br>

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/20/05 05:34 PM

Here is one that landed on Dusty<br><br><br><br>

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/20/05 05:36 PM

And finally...a hummingbird was stuck in the gorilla exhibit<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/20/05 08:45 PM

rainbow lorikeet from Eastern Australia<br><br><br>but where will we be when the future comes?

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/20/05 10:40 PM

Yes indeed it is as Treebeard has stated a Lorikeet !!! Damn John your getting good with this bird-watching, beautiful little bundle of feathers the picture of the one on Dusty's head is priceless, I think the first picture [the brown one with the long legs] is an Australian Bird also... sure doesn't look like he was born in Kentucky lol but maybe so, he is an interesting little fellow..got some strange legs.<br><br>

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/21/05 02:48 AM

In Sydney all you need to do is drizzle some honey on a slice of bread.. <br><br><br>but where will we be when the future comes?

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/21/05 02:54 AM

it is close to the dusky moorhen of Australia but no .. I'd say it was a rail .. from somewhere else.<br><br><br>but where will we be when the future comes?

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/21/05 04:59 AM

<br><br><br>JACANA<br><br>*click image for more birds*<br><br>[color:green]"...or am I a butterfly that's dreaming she's a woman?"</font color=green>

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/21/05 05:02 AM

<br>I LOVE the Motion-Blur Effect<br>...whether it was intentional or not...<br>I think it's really cool!<br><br>[color:green]"...or am I a butterfly that's dreaming she's a woman?"</font color=green>

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/21/05 05:33 AM

I was hoping the bird would be in focus when I took the photo, but now I like it how it is. Thanks.<br><br>

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/21/05 07:01 AM

yep somewhere between a rail and a plover.<br>Jacana alwaysbe whereyawannabe<br><br><br>but where will we be when the future comes?

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/21/05 10:27 AM

Ah huh...<br><br>They live on every continent<br>...including Australia...<br>The common name is a "lily trotter"<br>...which is what I Googled.<br>Those over-sized toes were a dead give-away. <br><br>[color:green]"...or am I a butterfly that's dreaming she's a woman?"</font color=green>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/21/05 02:07 PM

The title shocked me coming from you drjohn. I was sure it was not a purchase of a Humvee, even the new tiny one so I thought the worse.<br><br>From David Letterman: It so hot the hookers on 38th Street are offering to blow on you.<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/21/05 02:41 PM

The northern jacana, also called American jacana, lives in South America and as far north as Texas. It has purplish-chestnut feathers. In the bend of each wing is a strong spur, which the jacana uses as a weapon.<br><br>Jacanas belong to the jacana family, Jacanidae. The scientific name for the northern jacana is Jacana spinosa.<br>Jacana spinosa may be trotting lilies in your part of the world but not in mine.<br><br>For a start if we did have enough water to grow lilies here, someone would pull them out and plant rice.<br><br>We do have lotus in the northern tropical areas and down our east coast a bit. We do have what we call a lotus bird Irediparra gallinacea.<br><br><br>but where will we be when the future comes?

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/21/05 04:05 PM

Because this software does not allow editing after an hour. Which was how long it took me to repair my scanner on my new Tiger... <br>You'll have to look in this post for an image of the Australian lotus bird (our lilypad trotter)<br><br><br>but where will we be when the future comes?

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/21/05 04:38 PM

Why would I think that heading would get any attention around here?<br><br>

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/21/05 04:45 PM

provocateur ;)<br><br><br>but where will we be when the future comes?

Re: Got a hummer... - 08/21/05 05:00 PM

Yah certainly got MY attention!<br><br>I thought you'd lost your freakin' mind! <br><br>[color:green]"...or am I a butterfly that's dreaming she's a woman?"</font color=green>