Podcasts

Posted by: OSXaddict

Podcasts - 07/14/05 04:06 PM

So I decided to try out some podcasts after seeing someone on another board post about photography ones. I got the Secrets of Digital Imaging one, Lenswork - Comments on Art, Photography, and the Creative Process, and Digital Photography Tips From The Top Floor.<br><br>First up on the iPod was Secrets of Digital Imaging....man, what a load of crap! This guy is all "uh..yeah.." and has a monotone voice. Dull and boring. Plus...what I heard of it the phone on it rang twice!! Sounds like someone is there with him...definately amateur hour!<br><br>I hope the others are a LOT better than that slop.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Podcasts - 07/14/05 04:46 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I hope the others are a LOT better than that slop.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I'm afraid you should prepare yourself to be dissappointed. Virtually all Podcasts are amateur-hour and have nothing of importance to offer. It's more of the "yesterday's news tomorrow" syndrome, mixed in with the "my mom says I should be in radio" genre.<br><br>Even the ones that sound professionally produced, are just plain outdated. I've already read everything they say on several Web sites days earlier.<br><br><br>CreativeGuy: Design software tips, tricks & commentary.
Posted by: trey

Re: Podcasts - 07/14/05 07:48 PM

The only thing that's worth a crap that I've found so far are the NPR shows. I like that I can hear them even if I'm away when they air here... but yeah, the rest is crap.<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Podcasts - 07/14/05 07:54 PM

Yep Podcast are crap<br><br>I went over to iTunes and clicked on the explicit humor ones and that was boring. Even Al Frankin was junk<br><br>
Posted by:

Re: Podcasts - 07/14/05 08:08 PM

<font face="American Typewriter, Courier" size="+4">The Joy of Dreck</font><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: Podcasts - 07/14/05 08:17 PM

like others, i like some of the NPR shows. "on the media" is terrific.<br><br>i have also found some that are related to my field that are pretty good, but it's really niche and i doubt they get listened to by anyone beyond my field. i tried a few that were prominent on the iTunes page and quickly got bored of them. i enjoy music while i work, but podcasts take too much of my attention and the only place they're worthwhile is in the car. i can miss portions of a song and not miss a beat, but missing a portion of a podcast means i have to constantly rewind to get caught back up. <br><br>--<br>Straw-man rhetorical techniques are the practice of refuting weaker arguments than one's opponents offer. 2 "set up a straw man" or "set up a straw-man argument" is 2 create a position easily refuted, then attribute that position to your opponent.

Re: Podcasts - 07/14/05 08:24 PM

Sean<br><br>I would think that creating Podcast would be a tool for your students ? Well thats what some are porting as a possible student use ?<br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: Podcasts - 07/14/05 08:35 PM

i was thinking about that as well. since i teach technology, why not force my students to jump on the latest bandwagon and be forced to use the technology at the same time? then again, i want to do it with a purpose and not just because it's new and has potential.<br><br>i am teaching 1 online class this fall and i'll probably supplement the class with a few podcasts of my own. but, i am thinking that a videoblog (vblog) would be much more valuable and i am struggling to find the best way to do that. i am using an iSight camera with iMovie, but i also want to add a bunch of images to illustrate various points and my audio sticks to the video even when i split it, so there is no audio while the images are displayed that i am talking about. i am sure there's a workaround, but i need to fiddle more.<br><br>--<br>Straw-man rhetorical techniques are the practice of refuting weaker arguments than one's opponents offer. 2 "set up a straw man" or "set up a straw-man argument" is 2 create a position easily refuted, then attribute that position to your opponent.

Re: Podcasts - 07/14/05 08:52 PM

I know you can do it - that video thing<br><br>The article I read had a snippet as, Podcast student to student as a means to share information between different institutions ? It would be like a daily radio show of questions and answers between students working on projects - other states and international students can Podcast their answers and questions as well - Sorta a conference call on the cheap and run and produced by students.<br><br>Well thats the way I read that article - could be totally wrong ?<br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Podcasts - 07/15/05 06:37 AM

The last snippet of the cartoon is missing content;<br><br>"I'll research the term with Sherlock..."<br>"Sher-what?"<br>"...on my Macintosh"<br>"Macin-what?"<br><br>- alec
Posted by: alAnonymous

Re: Podcasts - 07/15/05 11:58 AM

Podcasting is like Powerpoint Presentations.<br><br>Powerpoint doesn't make bad presentations... PEOPLE make bad presentations.<br><br>Podcasting's relevance and importance will depend on the nature of content. A "timeshift" format doesn't lend itself to hot off the press news. Now "Distance Learning" lectures... that's something very much suited to Podcasting.<br><br><br>-------<br>My Audioblog / Podcast - "Aural Fixation"
Posted by: Pete

Re: Podcasts - 07/15/05 12:02 PM

Were you trying to be ironic by having a link to your own podcast in the sig?<br><br><br><br><br>[color:orange]"There's no laws in this place. Anything goes. It's like Thunderdome!"</font color=orange>
Posted by: zwei

Re: Podcasts - 07/15/05 02:18 PM

Two good podcasts...<br><br>Inside Mac Radio (decent)<br>Seti Podcast (under science ...i really like it)<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Podcasts - 07/15/05 02:21 PM

MyMacGuys is an awesome podcast....<br><br>Not to be confused with MyMac.com's podcast, which is just OK.<br><br>
Posted by: zwei

Re: Podcasts - 07/15/05 02:23 PM

Will check it out. I also subscribe to the YOurMacLife Podcast ...which isn't to be confused with their awesome live show. It's also really good, but it's just kinda irrelevant stuff.<br><br>
Posted by: trey

Re: Podcasts - 07/15/05 02:24 PM

You could use iMovie to record yourself with the iSight. You could then add or do whatever you want to it.<br><br>