Your OSX wish list...

Posted by: MacGizmo

Your OSX wish list... - 12/10/02 06:35 AM

Please post your OSX "Wish list" here. Serious comments only please. I'm not talking about "make the finder faster" type of stuff, but NEW features, things that would be nice but aren't there. Even if it's available via shareware app already.<br><br>Some examples:<br><br>Finder Labels (already available via shareware)<br><br>Finder Tabs<br><br>Apple menu that is configureable (already available via shareware)<br><br>Multiple Docks on screen at once<br><br>A menu extra that shows updates often that tells me how many new e-mails <br>I have without having to open Mail.app (already available via shareware)<br><br>Finder/App Sounds like the OS9 Appearance CP (already available via shareware)<br><br><br>Visit me here!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/10/02 07:00 AM

I'd like them to bring back the MB you have in your trash feature when you are about to empty it. Always made me feel good to know I was regaining whatever MB of disk space. Though with this 60GB drive on the dualie, it is kind of a moot point I guess. Still I like knowing how many MB there are in the trash. Perhaps there is already a setting in OS X for that? If so, I haven't figured it out yet. <br><br>
Posted by: Giaguara

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/10/02 07:15 AM

multiple desks.<br><br>transparency everywhere (i dont mind if i have to change it in terminal, as long as it's built in all main apps)<br><br>speed.<br><br>icq in ichat. <br><br>i have a long rant list out somewhere... :-/<br><br>Giaguara<br>
Posted by: Lori

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/10/02 07:27 AM

No there is no setting for it in X. I always enjoyed seeing how much was in the trash too..haha.<br>I want them to improve on Mail app. The main thing I need in Mail is the ability to have stationery or templates for stock letters that I reply with for my rental property. when I received an inquiry about the beach cottage, I would go to the menu bar while in eudora, click on message and then have the option to "reply with", and I would scroll down and pick the stationery I wanted to use to send the reply. Eudora also had the "transfer to" under the message menu bar command too. In Mail I have to grab the mail and drag it to the mailbox where I want to store it instead.<br>I also want to be able to see animated gifs in my Mail.<br>I would also like a menu bar application that lists all running applications in the drop down menu, and the option to scroll to the app and quit it. I know you can do that in the dock, but it is more of a pain.<br><br>

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/10/02 07:44 AM

Though it isn't built in to OSX, you can have it with ASM It's highly configureable, and a very nice addition to the OS. I have been using it since it was released and have never had any problems with it. It used to be free, but now costs $15.<br><br><br>Visit me here!
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/10/02 09:28 AM

You already mentioned some stuff that I would want, so here's some others:<br><br>- Yahoo & MSN screenames in iChat<br>- Ability to switch between email accounts as per MS Entourage<br>- Desktop printing, ability to drag files from one printer to another<br>- The 'windowshade' effect on Finder/App windows (there's a haxie for this, right?)<br>- Icon replacement on files and folders needs to be a little easier. It just seemed like you could replace the icon on ANYTHING in 9, whereas X you have to fiddle with permissions and whatnot all the time.<br>- More Sherlock channels like we've seen the past few days. I'd like it to be a lot more like Watson, if that's possible. <br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/10/02 09:35 AM

i wish my copy arrives by xmas! thank you!<br><br>

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/10/02 09:43 AM

Me Too ! I miss that feature in the trash. <br><br>
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/10/02 09:46 AM

- Full Arabic Language Script support.<br>- Metadata in the file itself (file creator and type), instead of extensions.<br>- Battery reconditioning utility for portable Macs.<br>- Ability to create and manage user groups through GUI.<br>- Better user/group folder sharing.<br>- Auto Logout when idle.<br>- Better support for webcams.<br>- Printing to network non-AppleTalk laser printers.<br>- Audio recording software (the good old and simple "add" button in alerts)<br>- Built-in backup management using iSync and iCal.<br><br>I might add some more wishes after a second cup of coffee <br><br>

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/10/02 10:16 AM

By the way guys, my original intention for this thread was to see what we WANT in OSX in the future, and then look at it all and post ways to get what we want RIGHT NOW. Such as the haxies that are already available, and I also know of ways to auto backup using iCal, etc...<br><br><br>Visit me here!
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/10/02 10:19 AM

Video conferencing app like NetMeeting.<br><br>something easy to use like iChat, and I wouldn't even mind if it required a .Mac account to be able to video chat with several people at once.<br><br><br>

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/10/02 10:36 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I'm not talking about "make the finder faster" type of stuff, but NEW features, things that would be nice but aren't there. Even if it's available via shareware app already.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Well, to me that statement implies that we can go EITHER route- wish for something that is available by haxie or just plain wishing it would appear in the OS, period.<br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/10/02 11:17 AM

The unix uber geek in me, would like to be able to boot in text only mode. Something like single user mode, but full mulituser mode, just no GUI. And then be able to launch the GUI and exit the GUI at will.<br><br>Linux can do this.<br><br>I'd ditch my Dell laptop and get another iBook.<br><br>oh, and while I'm wishing, I wish the keyboard would have proper Home and End keys, and the backspace and Delete would work properly in Terminal too.<br><br>I find these little things too annoying about Terminal in OSX and still use the Dell with linux for these reasons.<br><br><br>
Posted by: MacGuru

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/10/02 11:53 AM

Have you installed xdarwin on your mac? It is a Mac implementation of the X window System and lets you use OS X and the X window system at the same time with the window manager of your choice on top of it. It is slightly slow as aqua etc. are still running in the background but it does let you use more *nix software than just the base os X install.<br><br>"... I find that teaching and the students keep life going, and I would never accept any position in which somebody has invented a happy situation for me where I don't have to teach. Never."<br>- Richard P Feynman<br>
Posted by: RubenC

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/10/02 02:08 PM

Well, I use MacJanitor because I don't leave my Mac on all the time, so something that would automatically kick in when you start up the mac and remind you it needs to clean itself up.<br><br>[color:blue]If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. - Milton Berle</font color=blue>

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/10/02 03:43 PM

Actually I like Aqua and want that as the GUI part. So I'm really not enthusiastic about XWindows. The terminal is pretty good for command line stuff, but when you start to spend considerable time logged onto a remote machine with SSH it is noticeably slower.<br><br>Also missing from Terminal is ANSI color coding, which is nice on my linux laptop.<br><br><br>

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/10/02 05:18 PM

Thanks Giz, I'll go check it out.<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/10/02 05:40 PM

Kill the dock in favor for pop up folders.<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/10/02 06:40 PM

Make it a choice, then. I love the Dock.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/10/02 06:57 PM

Keep the dock. I love the dock Carp. The dock is great. Just stick a folder in the dock and you basically have a popup folder anyway, what more could you want? Hell, you don't even have to have it pop up, just click on a folder in the dock and bingo you can navigate to anything in that folder. Same thing if you put your HD icon into the dock. I say keep the dock, well I don't think Apple will ever give you the option to not have the dock. Carp, you are officially hereby designated as the forum's official dock whiner.<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/10/02 07:47 PM

Okay okay okay<br><br>I give in. Since I don't even have OSX yet but I heard, many complaints about not haveing pop up folders.<br><br>

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/10/02 07:56 PM

I don't see the need for pop up folders, to tell the truth. You can put any folder you want into the Dock, and it becomes a pop up folder automatically. You can right (or control) click to see the contents, and you can drill down as far as you want in folder levels. Really, it's the most versatile and flexible thing going, and (having just spent some time on 8.1 ) I just don't understand why any one would want to get rid of it.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/11/02 01:45 AM

Why haven't you gotten OS X yet? Ask Santa.<br><br>

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/11/02 05:23 AM

Carp needs a new computer first. His is stuffed with too much stuff and he doesn't want to add any more. Right Carp?<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/11/02 05:47 AM

Here's my list:<br>- labels<br>- fix keyboard navigation in open/save dialogue boxes (and go back to standard list view, not column view, or better yet, let us choose)<br>- make an Applications pop-up folder in the dock default - so new users can find apps (I know you can do this yourself, but lets make it welcoming for the switchers)<br>- beef up audio - add surround sound support to the DVD player<br>- and last but definitely not least - add the "Switch Users" feature that WinXP has. That's the only feature of WinXP that I like, and when friends come over, man, do I wish my iBook had it <br><br>

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/11/02 06:20 AM

I agree about the Switch Users feature. There must be a way to do it without having to log out and back in--I mean, if Windows can do it, so can Mac. Labels are available via an unsanity haxie, as you probably know, but you're right that it should be incorporated into the system itself (although probably people will complain that Apple is pulling a MS stunt by taking over third party developers' ideas).<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/11/02 06:25 AM

Switch users?....you want apple to copy AOL?<br><br><br>

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/11/02 06:28 AM

No no no--it's changing from one user o another without having to log out and back in.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/11/02 06:42 AM

yeah yeah yeah...with AOL you can switch from one user to another without signing off and signing back in.<br><br>I was just playing with you though...ha<br><br>

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/11/02 06:44 AM

<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/11/02 07:01 AM

How is that stealing from third-party software developers when they HAD Finder labels in OS9?<br><br>That's just called 'bringing back a favorite'...<br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>
Posted by: MacGuru

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/11/02 07:14 AM

I don't think the switch users idea would work as it is part of the core OS and is different. Windows may be able to do this but it is much less secure.<br><br>"... I find that teaching and the students keep life going, and I would never accept any position in which somebody has invented a happy situation for me where I don't have to teach. Never."<br>- Richard P Feynman<br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Your OSX wish list... - 12/11/02 12:04 PM

" I don't think the switch users idea would work as it is part of the core OS and is different. Windows may be able to do this but it is much less secure."<br><br>Actually, it's not an insecure idea. Multiple users can log on to your Mac remotely at the same time, so why not allow them to do it "in person." Basically, when you switch a user, the control of the screen gets handed to the new user. The old users' processes are hidden and are not allowed to draw to the screen (quartz won't allow it). When the user logs out or switches back, drawing permission is handed back. I believe the hooks for drawing permissions are already in the OS, so they just have to work on the functionality of actually switching to another user.<br><br>To see the drawing permission in action, open a terminal, "su" to another user and try to open an app by typing "open /Applications/Navigator.app" (for example). You'll see permission being denied. I believe in early betas of OS X, another user could do open an app (I can't remember for certain, though).<br><br>