Discover . . .

Posted by: MattMac112

Discover . . . - 06/20/05 05:51 PM

. . . how easy it is to go in debt.<br><br>Since paying off all credit cards, the credit card companies are really pushing hard for my business. I must get 10 solicitations per week. <br><br>The latest incoming is from Discover, and their opening line had me laughing out loud.<br><br><blockquote>"On your journey to financial success, there are markers that clearly show your progress."</blockquote><br><br>That's right. There are. Paying off and closing all credit card accounts is the biggest marker ever! <br><br>I'm FRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!<br><br><blockquote>"I'm pleased to announce you have reached one of those milestones."</blockquote><br><br><br><br>Now HOW'D they know?! <br><br>
Posted by:

Re: Discover . . . - 06/20/05 06:44 PM

By the end of the year I'll be free o' debt. Maybe I'll get a card in January. You know, just for emergencies. <br><br><br><br>(Noooo!!!!)<br><br>
Posted by: alAnonymous

Re: Discover . . . - 06/20/05 07:34 PM

At age 33, I just got my first credit card (ever) last month. It sits in my wallet, doing nothing. My question: for all you guys saying you're dumping your cards... how do you get hotel rooms or rent cars when on travel, or front travel bucks when doing business travel? Most places won't accept debit cards. <br><br>Those are the reasons why I got the card. I know hotels require a sort of "deposit" while you are staying... how much do they typically temporarily hold on the card? <br><br>Scuse my ignorance... I was raised by wolves and left home at a very early age...<br><br>-------<br>Aural Fixation - "Doin' It In Your Earhole"

Re: Discover . . . - 06/20/05 07:39 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Most places won't accept debit cards.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Ahh, but most places DO accept debit cards, as long as you've got the cash in your account. A Visa or Mastercard debit card does everything a credit card will do, except go in debt. <br><br>You can use a debit card to secure hotel rooms and rental cars. Keep in mind it will lock up part of the money in your bank account.<br><br>All of my credit card debt is paid off and I'm goin' for the rest of it now: Paying off the cars and paying off the house! <br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Discover . . . - 06/20/05 08:09 PM

I've had credit cards for over 40 years. Threat them as a convenience and always pay the full bill on time. Do that and you have no worries.<br><br>It's been awhile since I've used a hotel but I think giving them your card number when you make reservations, guarantees your room. If you don't show, you pay. They don't hold a "deposit" while you are staying...they charge you when you leave.<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Discover . . . - 06/20/05 08:37 PM

Right Matt<br><br>I too rented a car with a Debit Card but they do freeze all the rental fee up front and if you don't take their additional insurance policy some places will charge a deposit on top of the whole rental fee = just in case clause<br><br>The theory<br>With credit cards if you should get into an accident and your under insured the Rental Company will keep whacking a credit card to pay for the damages, with a debit card they cannot.<br><br>I myself have no credit cards<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Discover . . . - 06/20/05 08:38 PM

I plan on massing so much debt that by the time I die, the country will go into a depression so deep we'll have to sell Texas to pay it off!<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.
Posted by: Optimus_George

Re: Discover . . . - 06/20/05 09:06 PM

HAHAHAHAHA!!! That's a way to think! <br><br>
Posted by: alAnonymous

Re: Discover . . . - 06/20/05 10:16 PM

That's cool. Thanks for the info. I was a little spooked a few months ago when I was picking out travel online, and the site for the hotel said a real credit card would be required at checkin (NOT debit card). So I caved in and got a card.<br><br>-------<br>Aural Fixation - "Doin' It In Your Earhole"
Posted by: Terry11

Re: Discover . . . - 06/20/05 10:47 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Ahh, but most places DO accept debit cards, as long as you've got the cash in your account. A Visa or Mastercard debit card does everything a credit card will do, except go in debt. <br><br>You can use a debit card to secure hotel rooms and rental cars. Keep in mind it will lock up part of the money in your bank account.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Aren't you throwing away all the perks that come with platinum credit cards?<br><br>That's about the only reason I use mine from time to time... rental car insurance (free if you decline the rental agency policy), arbitration on faulty products, etc., etc....<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Discover . . . - 06/21/05 04:45 AM

I've forgotten what a credit card solicitation looks like. I used to get several a day, then I heard about:<br><br>1-888-5 OPT OUT<br><br>The number set up by the major credit card bureaus to allow you to opt out of solicitations. I haven't seen one in five years!<br><br>There are entire forests that owe their existence to my decision...<br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Discover . . . - 06/21/05 10:55 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>rental car insurance (free if you decline the rental agency policy), arbitration on faulty products, etc., etc....<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>I get all that with my Visa debit card.<br><br>
Posted by: rigger

Re: Discover . . . - 06/21/05 01:15 PM

I dont understand, I have had credit cards 3 to be exact, for years. Absolutely no problem I pay them all off every month. I get to use their money for 30 days. Which is nice to me. Discover gives me back 1% of my purchases. Another nice thing. I think what we are talking about here is self control dont blame the credit card companies, Look in the mirror.<br><br>

Re: Discover . . . - 06/21/05 01:46 PM

Congratulations. I'm all about personal responsibility .. But c'mon. <br><br>I would venture to say credit card companies don't labor to get business from people like you and they don't stay in business because of people like you. <br><br>So . . . since clearing myself of all credit card debt, and seeing the massive amount of credit card solicitations (including "checks" that will automatically open an account), I will put some of the blame the credit card companies. These companies will ruthlessly do whatever it takes to sign you up, including marketing to college kids (who have no money) to get them on the nipple early.<br><br>Yes, ultimately it's on the consumer to stay in control. But in this "buy now, pay later" world, there is a massive amount of credit card debt being amassed. And it robs people of a chance to truly be happy. <br><br>So, to Discover I say: <br><br>"On my journey to financial success, there are markers that clearly show my progress. One of those markers was taking back control of my financial life which included paying off ALL credit card debt and performing plastic surgery: the cutting up of credit cards."<br><br>That's a pretty damn big marker. <br><br>Hey, if you pay off your credit cards each and every month, and have never once been late or had your APR hiked to astronomical levels, or ever laid in bed at night unable to sleep because you're stressed about paying bills . . . well, cheers to you.<br><br>To those who have . . . paying off credit card debt is a most freeing experience. <br><br>
Posted by: LoveTheBomb

Re: Discover . . . - 06/21/05 04:42 PM

[color:blue] These companies will ruthlessly do whatever it takes to sign you up, including marketing to college kids (who have no money) to get them on the nipple early.</font color=blue><br><br>As an example: My first day of college, I met these two girls who came up with me and started acting all nice to me and acting all buddy buddy with me. Turns out they were working for some credit card company and didn't even go to the college. The only other girls I know who act that way are strippers.<br><br>
Posted by: Morom

Re: Discover . . . - 06/21/05 06:31 PM

I love my Discover card. I use it for all or most of my business travel expenses ($4-5k/month). My company pays me back for all my purchases, and I end up making about an extra $40-50 a month on the cash back bonus. Can't argue with that at all.<br><br>As for personal credit cards, I have about $2000 left on my Capitol One card that I'm working on paying off. Once that is done, I'M DONE with Capitol One. I can't count the number of times I have requested that they don't send those checks in the mail, yet I get at least five of them a month. I'm just paranoid that someone is going to get (steal) my mail and use them for fraudulent purchases, and that is just a hassle I don't want to deal with. <br><br>----<br>Stupidity is like nuclear power. It can be used for good or evil.... and you don't want to get any on you.
Posted by: carp

Re: Discover . . . - 06/21/05 08:20 PM

Wait wait wait<br>Capital One sends you checks ? ? <br><br>[color:blue]I have requested that they don't send those checks in the mail, yet I get at least five of them a month.</font color=blue><br><br>
Posted by: Morom

Re: Discover . . . - 06/21/05 11:52 PM

Checks as in blank checks that have my account information on it and can be written as checks, but pull from my charge account... <br><br>----<br>Stupidity is like nuclear power. It can be used for good or evil.... and you don't want to get any on you.
Posted by: rman

Re: Discover . . . - 06/23/05 12:00 PM

I dislike those checks also. I get them from Bank One/Chase.<br><br>