Someone please explain . . .

Posted by: MattMac112

Someone please explain . . . - 06/17/05 10:11 PM

Why are you IN a movie, but you're ON TV?<br><br>Huh!?<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Someone please explain . . . - 06/17/05 10:29 PM

I am not sure what the direction you heading with your question ?<br><br>I feel<br>Real Life is a very long movie but if it was a TV, I could at-least change the channel <br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: Someone please explain . . . - 06/17/05 10:37 PM

I think it goes back to the fact we turn the TV on. So we say I'm going to see what's on. Who's on that show? Where as we have no control of the movie (theatre) other than to go in and watch. Who's in that film?<br><br>
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Someone please explain . . . - 06/17/05 10:59 PM

"What's on at the cinema? What's on TV? Who plays the lead in Gerry Maguire? Who plays the lead in Kojak?" Someone might be IN a movie, or ON TV, but if they're ON TV, then they're IN a show ON TV - and if they're IN a movie, they're ON screen, aren't they? The "in" refers to the show, the "on" to the medium.<br><br>- padmavyuha<br><br>EDIT: oh, okay, someone can be ON a talk show, for some reason - in that context maybe ON is for non-fiction, IN is for fiction? I dunno if there's any difference between US and UK usage here.<br><br>Where the truth is, there had better be love...

Re: Someone please explain . . . - 06/18/05 03:41 AM

Refining my theory (amazing what goes through your mind while you're varnishing window frames): people are always IN a movie (though they're ON screen for a particular scene). On the TV, if it's a one-off TV show/movie, then they're IN it - and people are always IN a series (under which heading I include talk shows etc.), unless they only appear on a special occasion in the series, in which case they're ON the show - so if someone's ON a TV show, that sort of implies 'just this once'. Make sense? (Oh, and someone can be ON channel 23 tonight, or whatever...)<br><br>- padmavyuha<br><br>Where the truth is, there had better be love...

Re: Someone please explain . . . - 06/18/05 05:47 AM

Well then riddle me this . . . <br><br>Why is there a light in the fridge and not in the freezer?<br><br>?<br><br>
Posted by: Llewelyn

Re: Someone please explain . . . - 06/18/05 06:07 AM

There's a light in my freezers<br><br><br><br>We all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time.

Re: Someone please explain . . . - 06/18/05 06:14 AM

...because all freezers come from the North Pole, where the sun shines 24 hours a day...<br><br>- padmavyuha<br><br>Where the truth is, there had better be love...

Re: Someone please explain . . . - 06/18/05 06:20 AM

<br><br>
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: Someone please explain . . . - 06/18/05 07:31 AM

why it is exactly the same as you are on the left and I am in the right.. can't you see?<br><br><br>but where will we be when the future comes?
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Someone please explain . . . - 06/18/05 08:38 AM

"Why is there a light in the fridge and not in the freezer?"<br><br>Man, this a good question. I have never thought "outside the box" on why this is always so.<br><br>

Re: Someone please explain . . . - 06/18/05 09:09 AM

You don't get things out of the freezer in the middle of the night.<br><br>
Posted by: Morom

Re: Someone please explain . . . - 06/18/05 09:12 AM

Here are some more for ya:<br><br>1. Why do you drive in a parkway and park in a driveway?<br><br>2. Why is the word "dictionary" in the Dictionary? If you didn't know how to spell it, it's right on the cover, and if you didn't know the meaning, why would you be looking at it in the first place...<br><br>3. Why is it when material is sent by boat, it's called "cargo", and when it's sent by land/truck, it's called "shipping"?<br><br>----<br>Stupidity is like nuclear power. It can be used for good or evil.... and you don't want to get any on you.

Re: Someone please explain . . . - 06/18/05 10:03 AM

I can hear Carlin's voice while reading those. <br><br>

Re: Someone please explain . . . - 06/18/05 01:34 PM

Here's one ...<br><br>Why do people go all the way to the top of a tall building, only to use binoculars to make stuff on the ground look big? Why not just look at it while you're on the ground?<br><br>
Posted by: Topper

Re: Someone please explain . . . - 06/18/05 01:51 PM

That one went right over my head.<br><br>

Re: Someone please explain . . . - 06/18/05 03:09 PM

Why is there only one Monopolies Commission (it's a UK thing)? And what's the matter with the English language that it tolerates an interjection like "Now then..."?<br><br>Where the truth is, there had better be love...
Posted by: watcher

Re: Someone please explain . . . - 06/18/05 03:33 PM

It is an expression designed to jolt the listener back to the reality.<br><br>
Posted by: watcher

Re: Someone please explain . . . - 06/18/05 03:35 PM

Because the view on the ground is obscured by sky high buildings?<br><br>

Re: Someone please explain . . . - 06/18/05 04:49 PM

so it veered to the right as it clipped your hair?<br>..?<br><br><br><br><br>but where will we be when the future comes?

Re: Someone please explain . . . - 06/18/05 04:58 PM

It is really quite simple. <br>We know there is no one in the boxes we call radio's and TV's. Therefore we have to relate the production we are seeing and/or hearing as to being on the screen or on the air.<br><br>Whether or not the movie is on the theatre screen or on the TV screen, the Actors are still in the movie. <br><br><br><br><br>but where will we be when the future comes?
Posted by: DavidDraiman

Re: Someone please explain . . . - 06/18/05 07:55 PM

a quick Carlin quote:<br><br><embed src="http://homepage.mac.com/davidwscott/.Music/Airplane.m4a" controls=true autostart=false loop=false width=120 height=23><br><br>