Michael Dell 'happy' to offer Apple OS

Posted by: iRock

Michael Dell 'happy' to offer Apple OS - 06/16/05 01:11 PM

<br>Dell, chairman of Round Rock c...rating systems.<br><br>
Posted by: Topper

Re: Michael Dell 'happy' to offer Apple OS - 06/16/05 01:20 PM

Michael is one of my favorite people in the whole wide world.<br>He is always talking about the demise of Apple Computer.<br>Dell spends very little in R&D especially compared to Apple. I wonder why?<br>And now Michael is happy to offer OS X? He's a prince.<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Michael Dell 'happy' to offer Apple OS - 06/16/05 02:02 PM

Apple would be foolish not to listen....Dell could get OS X into places it's never been. <br><br>
Posted by: garyW

Re: Michael Dell 'happy' to offer Apple OS - 06/16/05 02:03 PM

Just what Steve would want to boost those laptop, Mini and iMac sales <br><br>Isn't Dell also coming out with their new 'upscale' boxes to move into the Apple niche? <br><br><br>

Re: Michael Dell 'happy' to offer Apple OS - 06/16/05 03:18 PM

Clones didn't work to begin with. <br>Dell would really take Apple down which is what Michael Dell wants.<br>Dell doesn't need R&D, just copy Apple. <br>Dell is second only to Microsoft for evil.<br><br>

Re: Michael Dell 'happy' to offer Apple OS - 06/16/05 03:21 PM

Bryan, Apple makes money on hardware. <br>It would be the story of clones all over again.<br>It would be Dell vs Apple. <br>Take a good guess on who would win that battle.<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Michael Dell 'happy' to offer Apple OS - 06/16/05 03:36 PM

Apple would be foolish to do it.<br><br>
Posted by: PointBreak

Re: Michael Dell 'happy' to offer Apple OS - 06/16/05 04:22 PM

Correct me if I am old fashioned here - one of the joys of working with the Macintosh is the fact that when you buy hardware/software/peripherals etc to plug into, install or use with your computer, 99.9% of the time it will work. The hardware is built for the software and vice versa, there isn't the "download driver, patch or hardware work around" needed as with machines whose uncomplimentary components are thrown together and stickytaped with a myriad of patches. I want my hardware made and controlled by the same people who make the software to work on it. Want a clone? Buy a PC!<br><br>Need a laugh? Visit CreatorDude.com

Re: Michael Dell 'happy' to offer Apple OS - 06/16/05 05:02 PM

Not when it comes to corporations. <br><br>Apple is nonexistent in enterprise (except for the graphic arts departments.) If Dell sold Mac OS boxes to corporations, Apple could get a foothold there. <br><br>Apple tried cloning once, but it failed because of how poorly it was executed. People love to talk about how "Apple is a hardware company...they'll never do this or they'll never do that."<br><br>But that's what they said about HP selling iPods and Apple switching to Intel, and Apple did both. <br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Michael Dell 'happy' to offer Apple OS - 06/16/05 05:56 PM

Read Pointbreak's response. He said it better than I could.<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Michael Dell 'happy' to offer Apple OS - 06/16/05 06:02 PM

Dell is so jealous of Steve Jobs it's not funny. He knows that for all the money he makes, Dell could go away tomorrow and nobody would care. He knows Steve is the only CEO that inspires and innovates in the industry. The rest are just suits pushing generic boxes.<br><br><br>

Re: Michael Dell 'happy' to offer Apple OS - 06/16/05 06:18 PM

Well, that's the standard Apple user line for the last 20 years. I've enjoyed the fact that Apple makes the whole widget over the years, I just think that time is going to end. <br><br>Now that Apple has switched to x86 boxes to be their "Macs," licensing the OS can't be far behind. Perhaps a few years after the Intel switch, perhaps just with a few OEMs for certain product lines. <br><br>Apple is a hardware company, but Apple is now the iPod company. I just think the focus has changed. We'll see if I'm right!<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Michael Dell 'happy' to offer Apple OS - 06/16/05 09:03 PM

Small note Apple tried cloning twice NOT just once and that did not work either.<br>Might have been before your time the first clones were from Radius and Daystar. Daystar was the first to offer 4, 6, 8, 12 Multi processor Macs - The Quad Daystar would only set you back 10,000 bucks, sweet deal at the time.<br><br>Radius target market was the low end, Apple was middle and Daystar was over the top. Daystar went belly up and Apple bought their multi proc technology which was used in Apple Duallys.<br><br>Apple and Dell is not a good idea for two reasons.<br><br>1. Even Dell could not convince my company to re-write their expensive proprietary software<br><br>2. Apple would have to compete with Dell to sell hardware - so you wanna real cheap crappie Macs ? cuz thats whats gonna happen<br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Michael Dell 'happy' to offer Apple OS - 06/16/05 10:32 PM

I figure it's a pipe dream on Dell's part but thought the interesting tidbit was the fact that there seems to be a bandwagon to jump on.<br><br>