That $559 Dell laptop is lookin' mighty good....

Posted by: Bryan

That $559 Dell laptop is lookin' mighty good.... - 06/02/05 04:34 AM

I am in the market for a laptop...I'm currently waiting for an iBook update, so I can get a deal on existing models. <br><br>But then I came across a Dell ad....$559 for a 14" notebook with roughly the same specs as the $999 iBook. Since I just need it for e-mail and Internet...I'm mighty tempted to pull the trigger and buy it. <br><br>That's half as much as the iBook....and it even comes with a free printer! Hell...Firefox is Firefox, right?<br><br>
Posted by: alAnonymous

Re: That $559 Dell laptop is lookin' mighty good.... - 06/02/05 05:04 AM

I own an iBook and a G4 desktop, but let's face it. Ca$h is Ca$h. If I'm not mistaken, that Dell also comes w/wireless? I saw it and was tempted myself, just to have something I can take to meetings.<br><br>In my office, my Mac stuff is actually frowned upon and a distraction at meetings.<br><br>-------<br>Aren't you a little old for post-modern nostalgic irony?
Posted by: Mactico

Re: That $559 Dell laptop is lookin' mighty good.. - 06/02/05 05:16 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Hell...Firefox is Firefox, right?<p><hr></blockquote><p>Firefox numero uno]best product of 2005 (PC World Magazine)<br><br><br>
Posted by:

Re: That $559 Dell laptop is lookin' mighty good.. - 06/02/05 05:56 AM

I'm using FF in XP right now, and it rocks the Casbah.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: That $559 Dell laptop is lookin' mighty good.. - 06/02/05 07:37 AM

I keep telling myself the same thing... but I'm always reminded how much easier it is when I take the iBook on the road with the camera to download the photos directly into iPhoto where I can add keywords, etc. Then I think about syncing my address books and mail to Mail on my G5 desktop. Then I think about the fact that I don't have spyware, adware and viruses on my iBook... then I think that the few hundred bucks I save getting the PC just isn't worth it.&#10;<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.
Posted by: Pete

Re: That $559 Dell laptop is lookin' mighty good.. - 06/02/05 07:39 AM

If you're smart and careful you can easily avoid all the nonsense that goes along with Windows- but you're right, one shouldn't have to think about it- and the few extra hundred you spend on a Mac is like buying peace of mind...<br><br>Back in Black...
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: That $559 Dell laptop is lookin' mighty good.. - 06/02/05 07:54 AM

Yeah, baby!!!<br><br>Windows = insanity.<br><br>- alec
Posted by: Michael

Re: That $559 Dell laptop is lookin' mighty good.... - 06/02/05 08:13 AM

I customized the Inspiron 1200 (advertised at $549) to better match the $999 iBook. With 1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and Technical Support (even though I strongly recommend 3 years for laptops. My Applecare on my PB has paid for itself). Especially where Dell buys its components from the lowest bidder of the month. Also add an extra battery. Dells have notoriously low battery life. <br>I didn't bother adding XP Pro since the XP "Home" version may be all you need. And that $549 notebook is now $856.<br><br>
Posted by: ezyrider

Re: That $559 Dell laptop is lookin' mighty good.... - 06/02/05 09:05 AM

Next thing you know you'll be offering your services to Al-Qaeda ...buying a Dell is treason. The only reason to even consider it is if its free or the company buys it for you. Don't waste your money on a Dell! We rid our company of the final Dell last month. Even their "high-end" laptops were junk compared to the IBM Thinkpads we replaced them with. <br><br>I know you came from the PC world so it probably isn't as big of a deal to you. I have been on Macs since the early 90s and only used PCs to test sites, multimedia, etc. I hated them for the short time I even had to spend on them doing that. That being said, I received a free PC from a neighbor for gaming with him.He works for a memory company and they were tossing it out. He loaded it with spare goodies he had laying around and as biased as I am against PCs its a pretty solid system. XP Pro, 1 GB RAM, 128 MB ATI, 2.7 GHz P4. And yes Firefox is Firefox no matter what the platform which DOES rock the Casbah!<br><br>So...being the Apple fanboy/zealot/mavin that I am I personally would wait for the iBook. <br><br>
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: That $559 Dell laptop is lookin' mighty good.. - 06/02/05 09:52 AM

My wife needs a new laptop and we are also waiting for the new iBooks. She received the Dell flyer in her mailbox at work and it has taken some serious explaining why we need to go for the iBook.<br><br>

Re: That $559 Dell laptop is lookin' mighty good.. - 06/02/05 09:55 AM

I mean, I know the score on it being Windows and cheaply constructed and all that. It's just tempting when its half of what Apple is charging. <br><br>I'll probably hold out for the iBook...mainly because I can't troubleshoot Windows, and if something goes wrong while I'm on the road, I'd fling the thing out the hotel window trying to fix it. <br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: That $559 Dell laptop is lookin' mighty good.. - 06/02/05 09:57 AM

I was trying like hell to convert someone to a Mac mini- but then Dell comes along like a 5-dollar whore with its free printer, free memory or free LCD- and that's all the average john needs to hear. <br><br>Back in Black...

Re: That $559 Dell laptop is lookin' mighty good.. - 06/02/05 10:01 AM

Yeah...as long as companies like Dell are practically giving away Windows PCs, we shall forever remain in our expensive niche. <br><br>I ran across one of their promos....it was a cheapie PC with a free LCD for like...$499 or something. I couldn't believe it..almost bought it myself. <br><br>
Posted by: rman

Re: That $559 Dell laptop is lookin' mighty good.. - 06/02/05 10:12 AM

The only question I would ask is, how much PC software do you have in house?<br><br>

Re: That $559 Dell laptop is lookin' mighty good.. - 06/02/05 10:14 AM

Not a bit. <br><br>Then again, all I would be using it for would be e-mail and Internet, which is all free apps. The PC that I do use has the free AVG antivirus, spybot and adaware. <br><br>