Citrix GoToMyPC may go Macintosh

Posted by: snag

Citrix GoToMyPC may go Macintosh - 05/31/05 10:32 AM

Whoopdy do!. These guys know very little about creating an interface that looks and feels like it should be on a Mac. Based on their Citrix ICA Client for Mac OS X, Citrix GoToMyPC for Mac will basically have a Windoze interface pasted into a somewhat-functional Mac client. I mean for crying out lout they don't even know what command-q is for, and they use hair-brained "are you sure" dialogs a la Windows if you just want to do something as simple as quit. On top of that they have ZERO feedback features, which indicates they couldn't give a rat's ass what their users think.<br><br>I mentioned to a Cirix demonstrator once that their interface is hammer and chisel awkward and clunky and his reply was that "it is based on the interface guidelines." Yeah, the interface guidelines for an OS that each and every Mac user has shunned.<br><br>They couldn't care less about what their users think, and particularly Mac users.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Citrix GoToMyPC may go Macintosh - 05/31/05 12:43 PM

Probably because the market for a Mac version of Citrix is so tiny it's hardly worth bothering with. OSX has at least made it viable to develop a version for the Mac, but just enough to get it out the door... not enough to make it look good.<br><br>We use Citrix to connect to the company-wide server for timesheets & billing at the agency I work for... we hate the program, and even the Windows users have all kinds of issues with it.<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.

Re: Citrix GoToMyPC may go Macintosh - 05/31/05 01:36 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> Probably because the market for a Mac version of Citrix is so tiny it's hardly worth bothering with.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Not so sure about that.<br><br>Top Downloads (from http://www.citrix.com/lang/English/downloads.asp)<br> <br>1. Presentation Server Client Packager - Version 9.0<br>2. Presentation Server Client for Java - Version 8.2<br>3. UNIX Solaris/Sparc Clients<br>4. Mac OS X ICA Clients<br>5. Linux ICA Clients<br>6. Windows CE ICA Clients<br><br><br>It used to be number one if I remember correctly. It has slipped likely 'cause many people have already downloaded it. It's still their number two client download however.<br><br>It really is a detestable program.<br><br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Citrix GoToMyPC may go Macintosh - 05/31/05 07:51 PM

No friggin SHIIT we use Citrix Meta Frame at work and that sorry arse pice of @^%$#@&$ sorry I just can't find the correct works for that crap. Even the IT guys hate it with passion, they are going to ditch that Skunk first chance they get<br><br>
Posted by: ezyrider

Re: Citrix GoToMyPC may go Macintosh - 05/31/05 08:45 PM

We used it at my last agency too...we were using Excel spreadsheets to keep our time (which sucked too) then in their infinite corporate wisdom Omnicom decreed that all of the agencies under the Omnicom umbrella would start using Citrix. I was the first on OS X to use it (a beta version) and it worked half-ass and we all pretty much hated it. It's interface was right outta Windows 95...blechhh! I laughed when I saw that news article and was glad it wasn't me having to use it. But hey...the more programs developed for OS X the better, there's another Mac developer employed which is good.<br><br>

Re: Citrix GoToMyPC may go Macintosh - 06/01/05 09:23 AM

Well i suppose you're right in that sense. Though there isn't exactly a shortage of Mac developers any more (if there ever was). I question whether we need Mac developers who don't care about the Mac interface guidelines and just cram windows crap down our throats and give no option but like it or lump it with no way complain about it to them. <br><br>
Posted by: ezyrider

Re: Citrix GoToMyPC may go Macintosh - 06/01/05 10:14 AM

I definitely see your point. It could even be a Windows developer that's "forced" to port it to the Mac and that's why it has always been garbage. I'm just thankful I don't have to use it anymore.<br><br>