Historical Homes

Posted by: Bryan

Historical Homes - 05/25/05 03:38 PM

My parents are selling their home, and I was downtown at the government building today doing a bit of research into when it was built. <br><br>Things sure were cheaper back after the Civil War...the entire subdivision was platted in 1866, and 10 lots (including my parents') were sold in a block in 1866 for $3,000. <br><br>Then, their lot was sold in 1884 for a whopping $650, which is when construction on the house began. Cool stuff! <br><br>
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: Historical Homes - 05/25/05 05:10 PM

I remember back in 1884.<br><br>The PowerMac was only $1.09 for a dual 50 Hz with 20 bytes of RAM! <br><br>
Posted by: MattMac112

Re: Historical Homes - 05/25/05 05:47 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>The PowerMac was only $1.09 for a dual 50 Hz with 20 bytes of RAM!<p><hr></blockquote><p>...and the dual 100 Hz model was $35 and came with 20 bytes of RAM <br><br>****************<br>

Re: Historical Homes - 05/25/05 07:18 PM

Funny...It even looks like their house was once deeded to Colonel Lingus! <br><br>
Posted by: MattMac112

Re: Historical Homes - 05/25/05 07:25 PM

I love Colonel Lingus. Colonel Lingus smells funny, but always well worth the visit.<br><br>****************<br>
Posted by: Walrus

Re: Historical Homes - 05/25/05 07:49 PM

Wasn't he once married to Phyllis...?<br><br>Oh, never mind...<br><br>[color:red]Bibo, ergo sum</font color=red>
Posted by: carp

Re: Historical Homes - 05/25/05 07:56 PM

Cool but its still relative back then 650 was big bucks - They must have a ton of Equity by now so what the current selling price ?<br><br>I hope that it's NOT listed as a Historical Home - them pups are hard to sell<br><br>

Re: Historical Homes - 05/25/05 08:10 PM

Around here, "Historical" is King. They can expect big bucks. <br><br>To give you an example, there is an historic district near downtown, which is not the best neighborhood, but because it is an historic district, you can buy a run-down house that's not even liveable for $30-$40K...pour $60 or $70K into it rehabbing and easily get $230K on the back end. <br><br>Add to that the very, very hot real estate market right now, and they're sitting pretty!<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Historical Homes - 05/25/05 08:33 PM

Humm something to look into Historical Homes<br><br>State -vs- National listings <br><br>Here the State Historical Homes bears a State Plaque next the the entry door with some historical facts about the home. The owners get to enjoy 50% off their property tax and keep the niffty plaque.<br><br>However there are some caveats to owning a Historical Home.<br><br>1 - Owners cannot in anyway alter the home.<br>a - No exterior additions like extra rooms or patios etc<br>b - No interior alterations<br>c - All repair work must be done to period specifications, ie all materials and workmanship should be as close to the original builders.<br><br>Simply you bought a live in museum and you can't touch it -- Very few home owners would buy a Historical Home in this State. Kinda makes sense what the point of a Historical Home if you change everything.<br><br>

Re: Historical Homes - 05/25/05 10:00 PM

Yeah...some places are lot more strict than others. It's somewhat regulated here, but not that much. <br><br>