Return of Revenge of the Sith

Posted by: skuldugary

Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/25/05 09:05 AM

I saw the movie last night. <br>I hated the first two. I gritted my teeth every time Hayden was on screen. <br><br>As far as Jarjar and droid humor, only a rare few enjoyed that. <br><br>So it was with sub-low expectations that I went to see Sith last night. <br>I'm happy to say, I was far from disappointed. I don't know what happened; maybe Lucas finally pulled his head out of his butt, maybe they hired real writers, maybe they were shamed by the quality of the Lord of the Rings, but for what ever the reason, this movie was so much better.<br><br>Hayden is still an emotionaly wet blanket until the end of the movie, when he really gets in to it. But that's the only place where the movie is weak.<br><br>There's a real story in this movie. I enjoyed the action, though the bluring lightsaber action on close shots made it hard to follow some of the fight scenes. The opening scene is great and took me back to the run on the Deathstar. <br><br>This movie gets darker as it goes on. You get a real sense of growing unease and you know bad things are coming. Skywalkers motivation to turn to the dark side is realistic, I just wish he'd have played it off with more depth. <br><br>I've heard a number of people comment about the mass of CGI flying crafts, but it didn't detract from the movie, for me. I easily bought in to the world being so crowed that buildings towered so high that you rarely, if ever, saw the ground, and this enviroment was packed with a large population.<br>As far as the clones, my only question is how can you tell who you're talking to? <br>'Commander?'<br>'No sir, he's over there.' (pointing to a group of clones)<br>'Which one?'<br>'Uh...'<br><br>I wish there were some more space battles, but I like good eye candy. Speaking of which, this movie does not shy away from violence. Death and maiming by lightsaber is not pretty. Skywalkers end made me wince.<br><br>Lucas got this one right. Now that it's done, he can go back and fiddle with re-re-re-re-editing the first three.<br><br>
Posted by: Llewelyn

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/25/05 09:28 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>but I like good eye candy<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>That would be the "talented" Twi'lek?<br><br>Truth is a 3 edged sword.
Posted by: Pete

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/25/05 09:38 AM

My guess on the clones issue is the markings on the armor- at least, that's how they distinguish the action figures...<br><br>Glad ya liked it- although most people wouldn't know what the hell was going on with Grievous (coughing) if they didn't see that last episode of 'Clone Wars' on Cartoon Network...<br><br><br>Back in Black...

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/25/05 10:10 AM

That really took me by surprise. I'm looking at this droid coughing and thingking, what the heck is that about? Are they trying to make these things more life like?<br><br>I never saw the animated series.<br><br>
Posted by: LoveTheBomb

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/25/05 10:22 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> although most people wouldn't know what the hell was going on with Grievous (coughing) if they didn't see that last episode of 'Clone Wars' on Cartoon Network<p><hr></blockquote><p>My one friend said "Cool, General Grievous has smokers cough. That's more bad-ass than 4 lighsabers".<br><br>I really enjoyed the clone wars cartoons.<br><br>

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/25/05 10:22 AM

Grievous is more of an alien/droid hybird. <br><br>In the cartoons, as Grievous is getting away after kidnapping the Chancellor, Mace Windu crushes part of his abdomen with the Force- I assume the makers of the cartoon knew this characteristic (the coughing and wheezing) about Grievous before the movie was released, and decided to insert a little backstory explaining it...<br><br>Do yourself a favor and go watch those cartoons!!! <br><br>Back in Black...

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/25/05 10:32 AM

Are they on cable or are we talking about DVD?<br>How many episodes were there?<br><br>
Posted by: Optimus_George

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/25/05 10:43 AM

Leave it to someone else to bother explaining something that Lucas does. If you missed The Clone Wars, by all means, see it. It's the best part of the "prequels". And done much better than any of the movies. It shows you how powerful the Jedi truly are (which is sorely lacking in the movies). I'm thinking that all the Jedi death scenes should have been as good as Mace's death scene. These guy's are gods among men... a few piddly Stormtroopers shouldn't be able to take them out.<br><br>

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/25/05 10:46 AM

I thought the same thing. I was wondering why they weren't tossing these guys around with some force waves and how they didn't sense the change of tide. <br><br><br>

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/25/05 10:52 AM

There were around 40 - 5 minute shorts from Cartoon Network. The DVD kicks arse. I have volume 1. Volume 2 isn't out yet. They're really good. They were all on the Saturday before the premiere of Episode III. 3 hours of beer and Star Wars goodness.<br><br>

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/25/05 11:05 AM

Good thing they put it on DVD. I wouldn't want to play catch up on TV 5 minutes at a time.<br><br>

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/25/05 11:18 AM

They only really showed them in the 5-minute increments when they first aired. My friend was harassing me to see them at this point, but I'm like you- it was such a pleasure to sit down with the DVD and not have any interruptions...<br><br><br>Back in Black...
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/25/05 12:06 PM

Cool, I knew he was half alien half droid, but figured he needed the droid part to stay alive after some hideous accident, like Anakin. So I chalked the cough up to that.<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/25/05 08:04 PM

Thanks for the review<br><br>Jaz seen it the other night - her only complaint was Skywalker acting was poor and mentioned like a pice of Dead Wood in the same sentence <br><br>
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/25/05 11:38 PM

Does anyone know what the timescale of the film is supposed to be? I found it very unconvincing the speed at which Aniken changes from doubting Thomas to hard-line Darth - but then I was watching how Padme's bump was progressing, and speculating that in amongst all the relentless action, the whole thing is actually taking several months to happen?<br><br>- padmavyuha<br><br>(journeyman? this calls for a new pic...)<br><br>Where the truth is, there had better be love...

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/26/05 06:58 AM

Yeah, I agree he might have jumped on that Dark Side bandwagon a little quick, but it wasn't totally unbelievable- Anakin felt like he had been slighted before by the Jedi (if you think back to Ep 1, they didn't even want him to be trained!)- and all it took was Palpatine's massaging of Anakin's ego & a little play on his fears and he was well on his way to the black suit...<br><br><br>Back in Black...
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/26/05 08:45 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Anakin felt like he had been slighted before by the Jedi <p><hr></blockquote><p><br>I had the impression at the end of EP 2 that he was well over halfway there already.<br><br>

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/26/05 09:52 AM

I felt it happened too quick. Especially when he's in the grip of guilt for the death of Mace. The next thing you know it's 'Yes Master, No Master'. One minute he's telling the Jedi counsle the guys a Sith, and the next he's slaughtering children? That's a pretty big step for a guys who's only grip is that he felt slighted.<br><br>As for Mace, it's the downfall of all Heros and Villians to give speeches when he should have just acted and run the guy through. <br><br>

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/26/05 09:59 AM

Well, I wouldn't say it was *only* the fact that he felt slighted- you're also forgetting the fear of Padmé dying in childbirth- and compounded with what happened to his mom in AOTC, I suppose that might push someone towards the dark side- to try and preserve the lives of the people closest to him...<br><br>Although I do agree there could have been more time devoted to some conflicted feelings about actually signing up for the dark side...<br><br>Back in Black...
Posted by:

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/26/05 10:03 AM

"...about actually signing up for the dark side..."<br><br>Maybe it was the 20% off your first purchase from the Sith Store that lured him in.<br><br>

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/26/05 10:23 AM

0% APR the first 10 months of becoming a Sith card holder...<br><br>Back in Black...

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/26/05 01:04 PM

I'm bringing the little girl tonight to see it. The 2nd time for me...<br><br>

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/26/05 01:12 PM

I hope you don't take offence, but how little is she? It's a pretty violent movie. <br><br>

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/26/05 01:15 PM

5 she already saw Spider-Man 2, Hellboy and Matrix Revolutions on the movies... it's not anymore violent than any of those.<br><br>
Posted by:

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/26/05 01:22 PM

And she falls asleep at night watching Texas Chainsaw Massacre.<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/26/05 01:45 PM

5 years old and you took her to an R-rated movie? <br><br>

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/26/05 02:33 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> 5 she already saw Spider-Man 2, Hellboy and Matrix Revolutions on the movies... it's not anymore violent than any of those.<p><hr></blockquote><p>yeah, but none of those had the killing of kids<br><br>

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/26/05 07:07 PM

Actually, two R-rated movies. <br><br>

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/26/05 07:14 PM

If you notice, Sith didn't have any scenes with kids dying. <br><br>She was bothered more by the torture of Mr. Incredible in The Incredibles. She absolutely love Sith and seeing it a second time made me like it a ton more. I can't wait until part 4 comes out!<br><br>

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/27/05 08:44 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> If you notice, Sith didn't have any scenes with kids dying.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Except for when that kid gets shot by clone troopers in front of Organa.<br><br>I'm not trying to say what's good for your kid and what's not. I'm not a parent so I have no clue. All I know is, I'm still mad at my parents for letting me watch gremlins... then buying me a stuffed Gizmo doll. Many sleepless nights.<br><br>

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/27/05 08:58 AM

What DVD would I be looking for. I see two animated episodes, Droids and Ewoks.<br><br>

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/27/05 09:08 AM

This one:<br><br><br><br>Buy it here<br><br>Back in Black...

Re: Return of Revenge of the Sith - 05/27/05 09:41 AM

Cool, thanks.<br>I'm taking a big step and joining Netflix. Fingers crossed I like it.<br><br>