Need Mouse

Posted by: drjohn

Need Mouse - 05/23/05 08:15 PM

I think my Apple mouse is dying. Lately, the cursor seems to have a mind of it's own (frequently it jumps to another location on the monitors, sometimes with no input) and occasionally freezes up requiring a hard restart. I disconnected it and I've been using the mouse that came with my Wacom tablet. It's a two button with a scroll wheel and I'm starting to get used to the buttons and wheel.<br><br>I'd like to get a new mouse. I know Logitech makes a bunch of mice but I'm not crazy about their keyboard. Two buttons and a wheel would suffice so I'm open to suggestions. <br><br>
Posted by: Topper

Re: Need Mouse - 05/23/05 08:18 PM

I am somewhat surprised that you don't use your Wacom tablet with a pen.<br><br>
Posted by: Walrus

Re: Need Mouse - 05/23/05 08:23 PM

I also had a moribund mouse, so I went with a Wacom Intuos. Absolutely love it. And the pen is great in graphic programs.<br><br>[color:red]Bibo, ergo sum</font color=red>
Posted by: carp

Re: Need Mouse - 05/23/05 08:31 PM

I have a Kensington Pilot Mouse has 2 buttons and a scroll wheel that also acts as the 3rd button, click the wheel to scroll left or right = I love it and has good rubber grips and is made larger to fit better for Manly Hands<br><br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Need Mouse - 05/23/05 09:08 PM

I'd pass on Logitech...they're phasing out Mac support, and their driver support is sketchy at best. <br><br>I'd either get another Apple Mouse (my personal preference) or a Kensington. <br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Need Mouse - 05/23/05 09:29 PM

The Microsoft wireless mice aren't bad either, surprisingly enough.<br><br>

Re: Need Mouse - 05/23/05 09:43 PM

Oh yeah..MS mice are good. I don't like the mushy scroll wheel, though. I need a clicking sound with my roller <br><br>

Re: Need Mouse - 05/23/05 11:23 PM

I seldom use the pen. It's a Graphire model bought in a weak moment once. <br><br>

Re: Need Mouse - 05/23/05 11:28 PM

I bought a MS optical. It's blue (my favorite color) and Walmart's open all night.<br><br>

Re: Need Mouse - 05/24/05 12:53 AM

I've seen that mouse for sale at Wal-Mart...how is it?<br><br>

Re: Need Mouse - 05/24/05 12:56 AM

So far, so good. The scroll wheel is a bit "mushy" though.<br><br>

Re: Need Mouse - 05/24/05 12:58 AM

Is that the one that's like...$19? I could live with the mush for $19. <br><br>
Posted by: adzoox

Re: Need Mouse - 05/24/05 04:52 AM

I'd pass on Logitech...they're phasing out Mac support<br><br>Where in the heck did you here that from? They PRODUCE the Apple mice! Also, they no longer need scroll, or multibutton support.<br><br>The latest Logitech Control center is actually pretty nice.<br><br>Also, the few mice that aren't supported, are not because they make specific use of Windows functions (such as media center PC control)<br><br><br><br>WWW.ADZOOX.COM & www.JACKWHISPERS.COM

Re: Need Mouse - 05/24/05 04:58 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Where in the heck did you here that from?<p><hr></blockquote><p>Logitech themselves. Whereas most of their keyboards and mice were supported on the Mac, the majority no longer are. I call that a phase-out. <br><br><br> <blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>They PRODUCE the Apple mice!<p><hr></blockquote><p>Can't help you there...the Apple System profiler lists the manufacturer of my Apple Pro Mouse as "Fujitsu Component."<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Need Mouse - 05/24/05 06:38 AM

I can't comment on Apple's mice being made by Logitech, but the simple explanation for Logitech producing so many keyboards based toward Windows user is that it's a larger market. <br><br>I don't think they're phasing out anything. Every keyboard they make works just fine on the Mac with no drivers at all. The only thing you need the driver for the Mac is to take advantage of all the doo-dads that the keyboard features - and for that the Logitech Control Center prefs pane has worked flawlessly for me since Jaguar.<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.

Re: Need Mouse - 05/24/05 08:32 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Every keyboard they make works just fine on the Mac with no drivers at all.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>If I want to start up in safe mode or from a CD, I have to replace my Logitech keyboard with Apple's keyboard in order to do it. Holding down keys during startup seems to have no effect with the Logitech. That's one of the things I don't like about it. <br><br>

Re: Need Mouse - 05/24/05 10:42 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I could live with the mush for $19.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>But could you live with mush for $24.28?<br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: Need Mouse - 05/24/05 10:46 AM

It starts with a mouse. <br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Need Mouse - 05/24/05 11:27 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>If I want to start up in safe mode or from a CD, I have to replace my Logitech keyboard with Apple's keyboard in order to do it. Holding down keys during startup seems to have no effect with the Logitech.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Hmmm... that's odd, because I can start up from a CD with my wireless keyboard (which has the base station plugged into a USB hub no less). I have yet to take the white keyboard that came with my G5 out of wrapping.<br><br><br><br>CreativeGuy: For your "fix" of design software tips, tricks & commentary.
Posted by: ezyrider

Re: Need Mouse - 05/24/05 01:46 PM

I'm having problems with my old keyboard and mouse on my G4 at home. It resides next to my G5 so it doesn't get used quite as much but it does get daily use one way or another and my mouse does the jumping bit as well as freezing, fortunately I just have to unplug it and plug it back in, no reboots thank god. <br><br>My G5 at home has an Apple Fujitsu but my office G5 has an Apple Logitech, in fact every Mac I've owned over the past 6-7 years has had a Logitech. I was thinking of getting a stock Apple keyboard (yep I prefer it over any other) and a Logitech MX 310 Optical Mouse. I have been using stock Apple mice for a long time but I kinda miss the whole multi-button scroll wheel thang. Especially when gaming. I just bought one of those MS $20 optical mice for my PC at Frys and its great.<br><br>I've read Logitech is phasing out Mac support on certain products too but that's probably because no one bought those products for their Mac. Since they still build stock Apple mice I wouldn't worry too much about it.<br><br>