The whole backstory thing

Posted by: MattMac112

The whole backstory thing - 05/23/05 11:08 AM

I guess I'm a purist. <br><br>I like Star Wars (the original - episode IV?) as a self-contained movie, without need for sequels or prequels. In othe words, I never have felt the need to have the questions of Darth Vader or Obi Wan (who are they? Where'd they come from? What's their story?) answerd. The Empire Strikes Back was ok .. Return of the Jedi I really never cared for .. And I've not seen any of these new movies. <br><br><br>****************<br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: The whole backstory thing - 05/23/05 11:16 AM

Well, you've pretty much made it clear your disdain for CGI - I don't think these would be up your alley, regardless... <br><br>Back in Black...
Posted by: steveg

Re: The whole backstory thing - 05/23/05 11:31 AM

I think one of the few movie sequels that really worked well was Godfather and Godfather II (III was as dumb as dirt). Interestingly, in Puzo's book, the sequence is reversed, but it still works well in film.<br><br>
Posted by: MattMac112

Re: The whole backstory thing - 05/23/05 11:41 AM

No, I love CGI.<br><br>It's the CGI masturbatory overkill I can't stand.<br><br>****************<br>
Posted by: alAnonymous

Re: The whole backstory thing - 05/23/05 01:44 PM

Many of the R2D2 sequences in the new film were jarringly noticeable CGI. Regardless of the benefits, I really wish they'd have stuck with shooting models and sets. The original still holds up, so why not?!<br><br>-------<br>Aren't you a little old for post-modern nostalgic irony?

Re: The whole backstory thing - 05/23/05 01:54 PM

This is how technology corrupts art. It's no different than a web site being Flashed to death to the point where the content takes a back seat to the effects. Lucas uses CGI because he can, rather than because he should. Bleh. <br><br>

Re: The whole backstory thing - 05/23/05 01:56 PM

It's Lucas's money, so it's Lucas's way. Get over it. <br><br>Back in Black...

Re: The whole backstory thing - 05/23/05 01:57 PM

B-b-b-b-but... <br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: The whole backstory thing - 05/23/05 02:16 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Lucas uses CGI because he can, rather than because he should.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Well there I have to disagree with you. As a kid I remember reading in Starlog about the epic fight between Obi-Wan and Darth Vader and wishing I could see it on screen but knowing there was no way to ever have a scene like that.<br><br>Had this film been made back in the '70's it would have been a terrible disaster. Had it been made a scant ten years ago, it would have been a disaster. <br><br>I hear comments all the time like "well there's just a bazillion ships on screen in the background." Gee, y'think? It's a planet that has been entirely covered by urban sprawl and technology, so there better be!<br><br>Looking back at the original films I can see where there is a lot of room for improvement, where effects that are available today would have seriously enhanced the story. The attack on the Death Star should have been a huge mass of ships all over the place. Even the final space battle in Jedi could have been a bit more crowded. And the aliens could have been a lot more convincing then they were.<br><br>
Posted by: skuldugary

Re: The whole backstory thing - 05/23/05 02:59 PM

and how much would I wish I could see a Lightsaber lop of Jarjar's head? And how I wish the dolt who just HAD to throw in droid humor had been fired before they wrecked it. I am painfully reminded of the arena with several dead Jedi laying in the dust and the mood is destroyed by 3PO quipping with R2. <br><br>I really think they blew it when they didn't play the theme music to the 3 Stooges in the back ground during the scene where Han is frozen in carbonite. Or have had 3PO do a couple of one liners about being wall art.<br><br>

Re: The whole backstory thing - 05/23/05 03:05 PM

I hear ya. I'm not suggesting there's no room for CGI. I just think it's one of those kewl goodies that is seductive enough to be over-used. Having said that, if I could be CGI'd a few inches taller and a few decades younger, well... <br><br>

Re: The whole backstory thing - 05/23/05 06:55 PM

I'm sure someone somewhere in 1977 complained about all the use of stop-motion...<br><br>"Damn stop motion! Such masturbatory OVERKILL with all the stop motion!!!!" <br><br>Back in Black...
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: The whole backstory thing - 05/23/05 06:57 PM

I thought there was going to 9 of these movies will the original 3 being the middle ones.<br><br>Now there is only 6?<br><br>Was I dreaming or am I a butterfly?<br><br>

Re: The whole backstory thing - 05/23/05 07:01 PM

There *was* originally supposed to be TWELVE movies- the number got less and less as Lucas developed more of the story...<br><br>He currently sticks to the notion that there's really 'no more' story to be told after Vader dies...<br><br>Personally, I'll believe there's no more movies once Lucas is dead and buried. But even THEN I might have my doubts...<br><br>Back in Black...
Posted by:

Re: The whole backstory thing - 05/23/05 07:03 PM

I think the only stop-motion used in IV was the hologram chess set. Speaking of which... why the HELL didn't ILM redo that??? We don't need Jawas doing slapstick on a ronto during the trek to Mos Eisley.<br><br>Actually, I think the compactor monster's eye was stop-motion as well. I think Lucas is intentionally leaving in the crappy effects as not to bruise ILM's (the pre-digital ILM) ego. So in one movie we get breathtaking, digital panoramas along with still-evident 28 year-old matte lines.<br><br>

Re: The whole backstory thing - 05/23/05 07:06 PM

Well, make that early 1980's then. Someone in 1980 complaining about all the masturbatory stop motion.<br><br>"Jesus- first 'Empire', now Clash of the Titans!!!" <br><br>Back in Black...
Posted by:

Re: The whole backstory thing - 05/23/05 07:07 PM

Titans used stop-motion??? NAH!!!<br><br>

Re: The whole backstory thing - 05/23/05 07:37 PM

A little- it was very subtle. You really had to look hard.<br><br>Back in Black...
Posted by:

Re: The whole backstory thing - 05/23/05 07:41 PM

Next you're gonna tell me EpIII used CGI. Whatever, dude. Whatever.<br><br>