Make Chimera not show web banners! COOL!!!

Posted by: MacGizmo

Make Chimera not show web banners! COOL!!! - 12/02/02 08:42 AM

Found this hint over at osxhints.com... and it works fantastic!<br><br>Here are some screen shots of the new prefs pane, as well as the results after I added spinbox.versiontracker.com to the "don't show ads from here" area.<br><br>Here is the new Chimera "Images" Pref Pane:<br><br><br><br>Here is the results of blocking spinbox.versiontracker.com (Version Trackers Web Banner host) - notice that all the ads are gone... no waiting for ads to load!!!<br><br><br><br><br>Here are the instructions (they look harder than it really is, so don't worry about it).<br><br> 1. Download the following file: Chimera Images PrefPane<br><br> 2. Unpack/Unstuff the file so that you have a file called Images.prefPane<br><br> 3. Make sure Chimera isn't running. Right-click on the Navigator icon and "Show Package Contents"<br><br> 4. Navigate to Contents -> PreferencesPanes<br><br> 5. Copy the file Images.prefPane into this folder.<br><br> 6. Still in the Navigator package, navigate up one level and go into the Resources folder.<br><br> 7. You will need to edit two files. First open MVPreferencePaneDefaults.plist in your favorite text editor. Add the line<br><br> org.mozilla.chimera.preference.images,<br><br> Insert this line between these two lines:<br><br> org.mozilla.chimera.preference.privacy,<br> org.mozilla.chimera.preference.security,<br><br> NOTE: Make sure each line ends with a comma. When done, the file should look like this:<br><br> (<br> org.mozilla.chimera.preference.navigation,<br> org.mozilla.chimera.preference.appearance,<br> org.mozilla.chimera.preference.privacy,<br> org.mozilla.chimera.preference.images,<br> org.mozilla.chimera.preference.security,<br> org.mozilla.chimera.preference.webfeatures<br> )<br><br> Save the file.<br><br> 8. Now, open the file MVPreferencePaneGroups.plist which is in the same folder as the last file. Add the same line as you did before, but this time add it between org.mozilla.chimera.preference.appearance and org.mozilla.chimera.preference.webfeatures. The file should look like this when you're done:<br><br> (<br> {<br> identifier = general;<br> panes = (<br> org.mozilla.chimera.preference.navigation,<br> org.mozilla.chimera.preference.appearance,<br> org.mozilla.chimera.preference.images,<br> org.mozilla.chimera.preference.webfeatures<br> );<br> },<br> {<br> identifier = security;<br> panes = (<br> org.mozilla.chimera.preference.privacy,<br> org.mozilla.chimera.preference.security,<br> );<br> }<br> )<br><br> Save the file.<br><br> 9. Launch Chimera, open the preferences, and you should see the newly added Images prefpane.<br><br> This is a particularly useful hint for those of you using a dialup ISP such as Earthlink, etc... But it also makes it load faster for me using my Cable Modem... I'm going to be adding a lot of servers into this baby!<br><br><br>Visit me here!
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Make Chimera not show web banners! COOL!!! - 12/02/02 09:40 AM

Jeez, look at all that work!<br><br>Couldn't you just make the final prefs file available for download?<br><br>I do want your list of ad banner servers when you're done too...<br><br>p.s. The Yankees don't suck. <br><br>[color:red]Hold on...it's time for a</font color=red><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Make Chimera not show web banners! COOL!!! - 12/02/02 10:26 AM

Think of every web site you visit that provides you with free web content. Now, how many of those web servers could you live without? (including MacMinute)<br><br>I don't mean to sound like a party-pooper, but these ads pay for the web sites we visit everyday - I'll leave them where they are, thanks.<br><br>

Re: Make Chimera not show web banners! COOL!!! - 12/02/02 09:24 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the banner still gets a hit/page view in the server, it just doesn't load the graphic... but I could be wrong. Either way, I don't care if versiontracker gets more hits.<br><br><br>Visit me here!
Posted by: Giaguara

Re: Make Chimera not show web banners! COOL!!! - 12/03/02 03:32 PM

... id dint work first, as the folder was the other prefs folder. now ... still remains bravenet; their adds are on the format www.bravenet.com/jsbanner.php? so i dont want to ban ALL the images from bravenet, just (unreq. popups and) the banners... :-/<br><br><br><br>Giaguara<br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Make Chimera not show web banners! COOL!!! - 12/03/02 03:36 PM

Wow, that's great. Thanks for the information, Gizmo.<br><br>
Posted by: bganey

Re: Make Chimera not show web banners! COOL!!! - 12/03/02 04:19 PM

Thanks!<br><br>Chimera gets better and better every day!<br><br>
Posted by: Mactico

Re: Make Chimera not show web banners! COOL!!! - 12/03/02 04:28 PM

Did I need to follow this procedure each time I downloaded a nite build?<br><br> <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Mactico on 12/03/02 07:29 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Make Chimera not show web banners! COOL!!! - 12/03/02 04:50 PM

Shouldn't have to... I downloaded last nights build and the prefs stuck!<br><br><br>Visit me here!

Re: Make Chimera not show web banners! COOL!!! - 12/03/02 04:51 PM

no. as long as u only substitute the older chimera app only. if u do it on the way ur cookies, prefs, history etc stay it stays<br><br>Giaguara<br>

Re: Make Chimera not show web banners! COOL!!! - 12/03/02 08:18 PM

i just d/lded the 3/12 build.<br><br>it didnt stay so i had to rebuild that. :-/ so i guess i'll stay a week or so with 3/12 build ...<br><br>Giaguara<br>

Re: Make Chimera not show web banners! COOL!!! - 12/03/02 08:34 PM

You're doing something wrong then, I have updated 3 times already, and the prefs have stuck each time. Are you sure you are editing the correct files?<br><br><br>Visit me here!

Re: Make Chimera not show web banners! COOL!!! - 12/04/02 06:53 AM

YES.<br><br>Giaguara<br>