Mail 2.0: what a slug

Posted by: Bryan

Mail 2.0: what a slug - 05/12/05 01:57 PM

This thing is bogging down something fierce for me. It's taking whole seconds once I click the reply button for the window to render. WTF?<br><br>In Panther, it was instant. <br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Mail 2.0: what a slug - 05/12/05 01:59 PM

Mine takes one second at the most. Doesn't seem like a slug to me.<br><br>

Re: Mail 2.0: what a slug - 05/12/05 02:02 PM

It's maddening to have to wait at all. In Panther, you could hit Command R and start answering the e-mail. In Tiger you have to wait. Otherwise, you get an error alert sound and the first word that was typed wasn't there. <br><br>Between the Dashboard clutter, the Spotlight CPU hog and the sluggish Mail app, I may just be headed back to Panther. <br><br>
Posted by: MattMac112

Re: Mail 2.0: what a slug - 05/12/05 02:03 PM

Yeah .. I know what you mean .. In Panther, I'd hit command+R and start typing immediately. In Tiger, this isn't happening. <br><br>****************<br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: Mail 2.0: what a slug - 05/12/05 02:04 PM

All reason why I only installed it on an external drive. I can boot to it and use it if I want, but there needs to be some serious updates and improvements before I'll bother putting it on my internal drive.<br><br>

Re: Mail 2.0: what a slug - 05/12/05 02:06 PM

Smart man. <br><br>I think I'm headed back to Panther tonight. I even still have my home folder on a DVD. <br><br>Maybe by the 3rd or 4th patch they'll have addressed the performance issues. <br><br>

Re: Mail 2.0: what a slug - 05/12/05 02:28 PM

You type immediately after hitting Command R?? Dang...that's pretty fast. I guess things are a bit slower here in KY because waiting a whole second isn't really that much of a drag for me. Plus, by the time I bring my left hand from the Command R key combo to the asdf position, a new email is opened up.<br><br>Dashboard clutter? It's not clutter if you don't use it. <br><br><br>Spotlight a CPU hog? I looked at my Activity Monitor and I can't find Spotlight listed there <br><br>Here's a screenshot of A.M. with a Spotlight result window next to it. Highest CPU useage is iTunes at 13%. <br><br><br><br><br><br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by OSXaddict on 05/12/05 05:31 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Mail 2.0: what a slug - 05/12/05 02:36 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> You type immediately after hitting Command R??<p><hr></blockquote><p>Absolutely...100wpm and write probably 50-75 e-mails a day. I was just reading that the 10.4.1 update has some Mail improvements. I may wait for that. <br><br>

Re: Mail 2.0: what a slug - 05/12/05 02:40 PM

And that's why I said that it was fast.<br><br>I'm a decent typer..not sure how many WPM I can actually type, but it's not 100. <br><br>I probably write about 5-10 emails a day, max.<br><br>

Re: Mail 2.0: what a slug - 05/12/05 02:43 PM

Yeah..I mean, it's not an 'end of the world' thing. Just annoying.<br><br>I like the new Mail with the smart mailboxes, and the mail in the column on the left side and some of the other enhancements, but I wish they had left the interface the same. I think that's the slowdown..it has to wait for the interface to load. <br><br>

Re: Mail 2.0: what a slug - 05/12/05 02:45 PM

I actually like the new look of Mail. I guess I'm one of the oddballs <br><br>There are a lot of things I like about Tiger and I'm glad I upgraded. When I do boot into Panther on my other hard drive, I don't stay long. Spotlight and Dashboard have got me hooked already!<br><br>
Posted by: garyW

Re: Mail 2.0: what a slug - 05/12/05 02:49 PM

"I think I'm headed back to Panther tonight. I even still have my home folder on a DVD."<br><br>Are you going to zero your drive? <br><br>

Re: Mail 2.0: what a slug - 05/12/05 03:04 PM

Damn right! 35-pass erase here I come....see you in 3 days <br><br>
Posted by: Morom

Re: Mail 2.0: what a slug - 05/12/05 03:05 PM

Ditto. I never liked the whole Messages Drawer on the old Mail. I like the interface now as Bryan was saying with the folders on the left and everything. Only issue I have with Mail, is the spam filtering that used to work so well just stopped working one day. I have tried to reset it and retrain it, but it still does a crappy job. I finally just purchased SpamSieve today and we'll see how that works.<br><br>----<br>Stupidity is like nuclear power. It can be used for good or evil.... and you don't want to get any on you.
Posted by: Dissenter

Re: Mail 2.0: what a slug - 05/12/05 04:24 PM

Smart Mailboxes are my only complaint beyond the GUI. SM are slow. I can click on a "Smart" Mailbox and have to wait many seconds before the contents/aliases are revealed.<br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Mail 2.0: what a slug - 05/12/05 05:54 PM

What? You must have issues on your system. Replying flies for me ... almost instantaneous!<br><br>- alec

Re: Mail 2.0: what a slug - 05/12/05 06:08 PM

That's the problem. On Tiger it is "almost" instantaneous. On Panther it was instantaneous. <br><br>Major inconvenience. <br><br>